3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
October 23, 2018, 11:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Well....openly admit to skipping the last couple of games as the previous run and performances had me at my wits end....

however tonight i went with a sense of optimisim based on recent reports and commentary...

Tonight much more like what i think we all want from a Town team , hard work , commitment, diFficult for the opposition and some resemblance of football ..... and of course a result.

First half dominated, great pressing game ( i remember Jolly saying that was something he would implement when he first arrived) , energetic, no time for the opposition to rest....looked solid at the back as well....only shortfall being when we reached the box...to a man none of the players looked to drive at the heart of the defence or get a shot off...turning back or squaring the ball rather than cracking a shot off.

Macca saved us from what would have been an injustice when a shocking pass from Hall Johnson set their main man up but a great save from Macca.

Second half started slower and i thought here we go...the 2nd half pattern returns ...but we steadied, got the goal from great pressing again and looked relatively solid...last 10- 15 got a bit squeaky as we tired and sat deeper but some great blocks and stout defending saw us home.

Individual wise...more positives than negatives but ...Hooper looked really lethargic and flat footed when we had the ball....Thomas contributed very little overall during the game but did superb in that key moment ....Hall Johnson looked wobbly all night.. everyone else on their game.

Team play - put ourselves in more trouble than Col Utd caused us i thought...overplaying and playing backwards rather than taking the ball forward...reluctance to shoot as mentioned...quite a few different team tweaks in play as well....at one point first half we seemed to have four up front.  

Well deserved win on balance.  UTM

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
LH
October 23, 2018, 11:33pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
I’ve got a feeling tonight’s performance is exactly what you’ll have to come to expect of Thomas. He can make something happen out of nothing - which isn’t the worst way to operate as a striker.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
moosey_club
October 23, 2018, 11:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from LH
I’ve got a feeling tonight’s performance is exactly what you’ll have to come to expect of Thomas. He can make something happen out of nothing - which isn’t the worst way to operate as a striker.

aye....i am old enough to have watched Kev Drinkell do fck all for 90 mins except score 2 or 3  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
DavidB
October 23, 2018, 11:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +192
Thomas also worked hard during the game....as did the rest of the team: the preparedness to work and fight for the cause was very evident (to me).

Although there's a long way to go (individual technical and thinking ability, eliminating passing errors that lose possession, defensive concentration, shooting in non-perfect positions) this seems a team (squad) that is working flat out, is committed and is developing an understanding (full credit to all of them and the management staff) and as confidence continues to grow could develop into a team that is capable of making a promotion challenge in due course (not necessarily this season, and with well-managed strengthening of the squad).

Continuing to build confidence is key (results help!): it was a vital element contributing to the Buckley teams' successes. Without wanting to overstate the progress so far, nor underestimate how much has yet to be achieved, the direction is encouraging!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
Tommy
October 24, 2018, 12:24am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Enjoyable game.

First half thought we were good with and without the ball. Played some nice football at times. Embleton and Vernam seeing a lot of the ball which is key to us doing well. Rose calm in possession and very good at receiving it whilst shielding the ball from whichever side pressure is coming from. Hendrie got forward well and defended 1v1 against his winger very well.

Almost tragically have a goal away when RHJ was too slow in thought and gifted them a chance which Macca did well to save. RHJ went into his shell massively after this and didn't offer too much when we had the ball until his fantastic and determined run down the right in the 2nd half.

Thought we got into loads of great areas 1st half, but several of these instances probably wouldn't make the highlights as many of them didn't actually result in a shot. Players guilty of wanting an extra touch to set it or to try and get a clearer shot. Can't always engineer the perfect opportunity, sometimes if you get half a yard in the box you've just got to pull the trigger while you can.

We pressed well, picking moments to press hard and force them back to their goalkeeper (who kept shanking it out of play under pressure thus giving us possession), but also keeping a good compact shape and staying disciplined when Colchester had spells of possession. Embleton, Clifton and Vernam influential in the high press, and Rose instrumental in screening the back 4 and passing to a black and white shirt when he won it.

2nd half was being played out quite evenly. We changed formation to 433 with Hessenthaler coming on for Hooper and joining Clifton ahead of M.Rose, with Vernam and Embleton wide of Thomas across the front line. Not too long after that, Rose plays a lovely ball over for Thomas who outmuscled the first defender, stayed on his feet despite possibly being fouled, dummied the next defender and finished really well.

Colchester made changes and upped their tempo. They ended up with a lot of pace on the pitch and broke forward really quickly at times. Yes we dropped deeper and allowed them more possession as the half wore on, but they upped their game and sometimes it just happens. I don't think it caused us problems as other than a couple of "heart in mouth" moments when the ball broke loose in the box and we had throw bodies around to block shots, Colchester didn't actually create really clear cut chances. Actually they hit the bar with one they should've scored so we got away with that one, but Macca didn't have a save to make apart from that 1v1 in the first half.

Welsh came on as a 2nd holding midfielder alongside M.Rose late on for a no-doubt knackered Vernam - who got a great ovation going off - and Famewo came on for a few minutes on the left of midfield just to shore things up.

Thought we managed the game quite well, and our organisation, discipline and tactical understanding when we don't have the ball have all come on massively - that's no doubt thanks to MJ and AL's work at Cheapside. Still work to do in the final third but I'm hopeful that'll come, especially as young players such as Vernam, Embleton and Clifton all develop their decision-making.

Hard to pick stand-out in a good solid team performance. Clifton's energy was fantastic, winning 2nd balls everywhere almost Bolland-style at times, but Rose was good and used the ball better. Hendrie impressed me again as well, and Embleton linked up well with other attacking players. Whitmore and Collins did well with aerial duels and biggest compliment you could pay them both tonight is that they were very rarely in positions were they were vulnerable or doing something last-ditch (the players in front of them also contributed towards this). Vernam was lively, positive and is developing a good understanding sit Embleton, and one of the few things I disagree with from Moosey's post was I thought Thomas offered a decent outlet until tiring after about 70/75mins.

MOM: Mitchell Rose.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
DavidB
October 24, 2018, 12:29am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +192
Excellent perceptive analysis by Tommy!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
TownSNAFU5
October 24, 2018, 12:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Didn't go Sat.  Enjoyed the game tonight.  You can see the players gradually developing Jolley's hi-energy pressing and passing game.

We won despite Colchester probably having the best 2 chances in the game. (The bad pass from us and the open goal when they hit the bar).  For the top-scorers in the division, they left their shooting boots back in Essex.

We took a Spurs fan from York who has been to a few Town games.  He thought that Thomas was too isolated, especially in the second half.  He did not rate Hooper either.He took too long on the ball when attacking options were there.  Why does he think so much, being static, rather than running forward with the ball intelligently and at pace?

Overall, we are miles away from the team that lost 6 games on the bounce.  Need to get Cardwell back.  We can continue to make progress. 4 of the top 5 have not beaten us. We still lack a goal threat.   Great credit to the managers and players.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
Townee82
October 24, 2018, 4:26am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +87
Grinding out results at the moment , building a position for ourselves and climing the table , we are creating a strong base from which to mount a assult on the play offs I'm enjoying it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
Mariner93er
October 24, 2018, 7:33am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
Whats encouraging is, although we're only grinding out results at the minute, it feels like further improvement is always possible. Some of the play getting into their box last night was brilliant, and it just needs that last pass or shot at the minute which I'm sure will come. It was the potential that was never there when we were grinding out results at the beginning of last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
October 24, 2018, 8:25am
Guest User
I thought Thomas had a great game, turned his marker only to be fouled showing his class.
Mitch Rose was again awesome.
Whitmore is getting better with each game.
What a contrast in refereeing compared to Saturdays Ref.
Very poor ref.
Reply: 9 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.