Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If we win our game in hand....
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 130 Guests

If we win our game in hand....

This thread currently has 3,575 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
October 23, 2018, 10:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
.....remarkably, we're just six points off the Play Offs. It's such a compact league with teams taking points off each other that if we keep this run up who knows?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
MarinerBen
October 23, 2018, 10:07pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +243
Don't jinx it  

"Take what you can, give nothing back"
                                                                 - Capt. J. Sparrow
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 11
GrimRob
October 23, 2018, 10:38pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
You conveniently ignore the fact that other teams have games in hand too, but there is no doubt that we are heading Northwards!

I certainly feel that we have generally played more of the stronger teams than the weaker ones. Without looking at the fixture list or predicting any specific wins I can't help but feel that there are some relatively low-lying fruits with 3 points written on them.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 11
Mariner_09
October 23, 2018, 10:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
Like Morecambe? We should play the top teams every week, our record is miles better!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
GrimRob
October 23, 2018, 10:43pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Mariner_09
Like Morecambe? We should play the top teams every week, our record is miles better!

You have a short memory! The match tonight is the first win this season against a side currently in the top half of the table.

Last year we picked up the vast majority of our points against the bottom sides too.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 11
penrith mariner
October 24, 2018, 3:08am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +182
Gold Stars: 7
And while not wanting to sound all doom and gloom.,  it was still pretty much a  game we needed to win. A defeat would mean us being right down there in the mix, The confidence the win brings can't be under estimated. Well played, great result
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
mariner83
October 24, 2018, 7:34am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from GrimRob

You have a short memory! The match tonight is the first win this season against a side currently in the top half of the table.

Thought Carlisle were (just) when we played them?
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 24, 2018, 12:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Regardless of who we play, a clean sheet has to be good. That is the real plus factor and if it shows up the real weakness of the side, the lack of a goalscorer, then fair enough. We know for certain now what signing is needed to sustain this form against better sides.

The key fact is 10 points from 4 games. Just suppose we had lost those games like the previous 6. We would have been 7 points adrift from safety already and the manager’s position would surely have been untenable for even his most ardent supporters. Best to be thankful for small mercies and a bit of luck and not worry too much about the finer points of the game just now.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
Les Brechin
October 24, 2018, 1:03pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from mariner83

Thought Carlisle were (just) when we played them?

They were. They were 11th before the game.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
pontoonlew
October 24, 2018, 2:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
We’ve played 8 of the top 10 and 3 of the bottom 10. Certainly had a tough start.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
KingstonMariner
October 24, 2018, 9:44pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from pontoonlew
We’ve played 8 of the top 10 and 3 of the bottom 10. Certainly had a tough start.

And only lost 4 of those.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 11
jock dock tower
October 25, 2018, 9:55am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from GrimRob
You conveniently ignore the fact that other teams have games in hand too, but there is no doubt that we are heading Northwards!

I certainly feel that we have generally played more of the stronger teams than the weaker ones. Without looking at the fixture list or predicting any specific wins I can't help but feel that there are some relatively low-lying fruits with 3 points written on them.

Not ignoring anything Rob. I said if we win our game in hand we'd be six points off the play offs, which we will be regardless of anybody else in the division. Also, all the top ten clubs at the top have played fifteen games to our fourteen so no problem there either.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If we win our game in hand....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.