psgmariner
October 23, 2018, 3:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from barralad

Is it a prime case of "divide and rule" as clubs all over the country have exiles who may view streaming as a golden chance to see their team live?
How long before the advent of streaming for matches kicking off at 3 on a Saturday? Cold January day..

I can't see a massive issue myseflf.

Exiles who can't make the match in person get to watch their team and the club get money.

Those who live locally but can't be arsed going get to watch their team and the club get money.

Both of these are better than people not going and the club not getting any money.

Private Message
Reply: 10 - 27
Cloudy
October 23, 2018, 3:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Johnnyc66

I have a season ticket
My partner works evenings
We have a son
I can't go
My seat will be empty
It has been paid for
I will be streaming
That will be paid for too

Some people can't go no matter how near it is if it is a midweek game
Times have moved on, in the old days I would be watching tonight on teletext
Maybe not as my son would not have been born, but you know what I mean

Sooner or later (Some) fans will have e season tickets and watch every game their club plays home and away electronically

For me it is about the bigger picture than an individual who cannot make a game because of personal circumstances.
Live streaming of lower league football WILL put people off attending. For everyone whose partner is working will be 3 or 4 who think its a bit cold or they fancy a beer whilst they stream it.

The support of this IMO will kill football as we know it. Again I am not criticising anyones individual circumstances, just feel this is totally wrong and will do irreparable damage to clubs like GTFC in the long term.
Once we stop going to the greengrocer, he disapears from the High Street.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 27
Tommy
October 23, 2018, 4:08pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
The problem is, is the pool of Clubs whose livelihood this will effect big enough, and therefore loud enough, to make any valuable protest against this?

Clubs in the Championship and some League One clubs won't be bothered by it because they know they'll still get 20-30k in their ground on matchday. It's clubs like ourselves and the majority of League Two, that'll be the hardest hit as we have the lowest gates and rely on those numbers paying to come through the turnstiles to make our £££.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 27
moosey_club
October 23, 2018, 4:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from barralad
The reaction (or more correctly lack of) to streaming amazes me. Whole fanbases can get worked up (rightly in my view) about the threat the Checkatrade MIGHT have on League structure yet very little has been said about the threat imposed by something that is happening NOW.
Is it a prime case of "divide and rule" as clubs all over the country have exiles who may view streaming as a golden chance to see their team live?
How long before the advent of streaming for matches kicking off at 3 on a Saturday? Cold January day..

Already had it havn't we...during the international break ????

Despite the package being "sold" to clubs as not effecting core time matches they quickly changed the rules for that one.  Just another reason to not trust anything the League/FA/Premier do...they only look at the cash sale...not interested in hard core lower league football clubs at all.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 27
ska face
October 23, 2018, 4:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,342
Gold Stars: 824
Quoted from psgmariner

I can't see a massive issue myseflf.

Exiles who can't make the match in person get to watch their team and the club get money.

Those who live locally but can't be arsed going get to watch their team and the club get money.

Both of these are better than people not going and the club not getting any money.

Well, for a kick off, the amount the club gets for a ticket at £18-£21 is significantly greater than the proportion they get from streaming, which is about £6.66 a head IIRC. Couple that with the fact you could stream it to a warm room with all 10 of your mates (or a pub with 100 customers) and the problem starts to scale up.

You assume that people either can or can’t be arsed to go without taking into account the impact that streaming has on this decision, which is absolutely massive. We’ve all sat there when we’ve not really wanted to go, but did so because there was no other way of being involved. Why bother dragging 50 quid’s worth of fans down in the cold when you can all watch it at home for a tenner? You never had the option before, you do now.

Then look at the long-term impact, on Season Tickets first of all. Why would someone take the risk in forking out £350 in the summer when they know they can no pick & choose their matches and never miss a minute of play? Believe me, no frigger is traipsing down to BP for the ambience and dining options  

It’s a model that might work for 50 million Man Utd fans in India, but not for clubs like ours. The benefits are drastically outweighed by the drawbacks, and when you take into account the underhand way the FL went about streaming Saturday 3pm games, it all points to a pretty terrible idea.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 27
moosey_club
October 23, 2018, 4:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Cloudy

For me it is about the bigger picture than an individual who cannot make a game because of personal circumstances.
Live streaming of lower league football WILL put people off attending. For everyone whose partner is working will be 3 or 4 who think its a bit cold or they fancy a beer whilst they stream it.

The support of this IMO will kill football as we know it. Again I am not criticising anyones individual circumstances, just feel this is totally wrong and will do irreparable damage to clubs like GTFC in the long term.
Once we stop going to the greengrocer, he disapears from the High Street.

I was under the impression though that the individual club would still have the final say on whether or not they would allow a game to be streamed....may be wrong but pretty sure it was worded " are able to be streamed" or something.
I am sure though...just as with the Checkatrade....that some short sighted clubs may take a short term gain option with the potential on line income dangling rather than refuse to stream to try and maintain gate income.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 27
jock dock tower
October 23, 2018, 4:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from psgmariner

I wonder if people said the same when radio commentaries started?

I am relaxed about the whole thing. Nothing beats being at the match so people will still make the effort, pay £20 and sit in a decrepit, cold ground for 2 hours.

BBC radio, in whatever guise it was in back in the 1930s, did ban broadcasting of live games in the early 1930s because of the effect they thought it would have on attendances.

Radio
The BBC radio broadcast its first commentary on a professional football match in January 1927 when it featured a game between Arsenal and Sheffield United. Later that year the BBC broadcast the FA Cup final. By 1931 the BBC was broadcasting over 100 games per season. At this time only about 30% of households owned radios.

The BBC's leading commentator in 1930-31 was George Allison. To help the listener understand what was going on, a diagram was published in the Radio Times which showed a football pitch divided into numbered squares. During the game Allison's assistant would call out the number of the square in which the ball resided.

The Great Depression resulted in a fall in attendances at football matches. Some club chairman partly blamed radio coverage for this situation and in June 1931 the Football League banned all broadcasts of its fixtures. This ban was to continue until after the Second world war.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 27
Tradjazz
October 23, 2018, 5:30pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: -38
Every Town game has been streamed on ifollow this season.
Easy to watch if you know where to look.
I have a season ticket and like being present at Blundell Park though.
UTM

Thank you Mr Corbyn (Steptoe), you are the best thing that has happened to the Conservatives for ages.
Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 27
Perkins
October 23, 2018, 5:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,964
Gold Stars: 7
Just out of curiosity, are there any league 2 clubs that don't show their games on I follow?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 27
dicko995
October 23, 2018, 6:18pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -249
Gold Stars: 21
Whever a person can attend or not has nothing to do with anyone else. Its your individual choice, u only live once and nobody rules you or should criticise you. Hate people who start criticising others. Mind yer own bloody business and get on with yer own life. Nosey buggars. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tonight's Game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.