Private Message
promotion plaice
October 22, 2018, 9:16pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,045
Gold Stars: 197

I'll start it off........Podge should never have left Town  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 65
KingstonMariner
October 22, 2018, 9:58pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Re-signing him would be a second coming unequalled since Matt Tees (sorry Grovesy)

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 65
HertsGTFC
October 22, 2018, 10:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Still saying nice things about his time here

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sp.....Ireland-hurling.html

It’s nice to hear and makes me really fukin angry as well, not angry at Podge but just that fact we really ballsed things up since coming up.

Clearly despite popular opinion it looks like it wasn’t Hurst that pushed Podge away it was our skin flint board.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 65
Rodley Mariner
October 22, 2018, 10:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Think that clears up any suggestion he didn't like PH and that's why he left.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 65
fishboyUTM
October 22, 2018, 10:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
The board clearly didn't cover themselves in glory. I'd heard certain board members were claiming he didn't score many against the top sides in the Conference. He scored 37 goals that season, THIRTY SEVEN.

In their defence, I also heard Amond was looking to get away pretty much as soon as he signed for the club. But if it's true we wouldn't offer him a two year deal when he's banged in 37 goals for us, it's madness.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 65
promotion plaice
October 22, 2018, 10:17pm

Quoted from 120790
Question:

Do you think sufficient time has now passed since Podged departure, for me to share lengthy messages from him to me, explaining the exact reasons why he left?

I did assure him at the time that I wouldn’t share it, but sort of feel that it would be okay to now, given that it was years ago.

What do you think ?

Best ask Podge if it's alright.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 65
KingstonMariner
October 22, 2018, 10:19pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from 120790
Question:

Do you think sufficient time has now passed since Podged departure, for me to share lengthy messages from him to me, explaining the exact reasons why he left?

I did assure him at the time that I wouldn’t share it, but sort of feel that it would be okay to now, given that it was years ago.

What do you think ?

Who are you? Why would you be party to information like that?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 65
ska face
October 22, 2018, 10:30pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,638
Gold Stars: 840
Just get it fuckin posted ffs
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 65
oochiad
October 22, 2018, 10:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,714
Gold Stars: 27
Yes please do, sounds like it’ll make good bedtime reading
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 65
LH
October 22, 2018, 10:32pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,498
Gold Stars: 173
This is going to be an anticlimax.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 65
arryarryarry
October 22, 2018, 10:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from LH
This is going to be an anticlimax.

That's a coincidence, it's just what the wife said to me last night.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 65
ska face
October 22, 2018, 10:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,638
Gold Stars: 840
You all read that in an Irish accent, didn’t you?
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 65
October 22, 2018, 10:47pm
Guest User
That’s all. But the facts as far as Podge was concerned

Great player for us, and I for one would have loved to see him play in our first season back in the football league
Reply: 13 - 65
Mariner_09
October 22, 2018, 11:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
It was just an amazing feeling because everything seemed against us. That was a completely one-off team, a group of individuals that we were lucky to be involved in and I don't think we'll ever get that again.

What we have at Newport at the minute is close regarding the lads and the bond with the management, but it's still miles off Hursty (then Grimsby manager Paul Hurst) and the rest of the lads.

The words of Podge. Thanks everybody involved for making sure that our club returned to its seeming natural level of general pathetic performances both on and off the pitch! You never knew Fenty did you what you had and how good it was at the time. Hurst's the only manager in my lifetime who genuinely galvanised the club and brought genuine optimism to the club! Podge says that Fenty is tight with money. I'm doubtless that Hurst didn't handle it especially well but he isn't stupid, just look at where he is compared to us now. Fenty's budget in the league must be pitiful, offering Nath such a pathetic wage increase, that can only be budget related, reducing Podge's offer, clearly budget related. Letting Toto go to Hartlepool, must be budget related. You well and truly weed on your chips didn't you Mr Fenty? We had an opportunity to retain all of those players (barring perhaps Nolan) but you gave Hursty, the only man ever demonstrably able to use a decent budget something meagre. You should be ashamed!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 65
supertown
October 22, 2018, 11:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,439
Gold Stars: 53
Very decent of him to bother with those lengthy replies . It was  all clearly very badly handled and half the problem is bloody agents the other half is business people running clubs with no man management skills
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 65
October 22, 2018, 11:09pm
Guest User
Quoted from supertown
Very decent of him to bother with those lengthy replies . It was  all clearly very badly handled and half the problem is bloody agents the other half is business people running clubs with no man management skills

Yes I thought so.

Only shared it now on the basis that it’s water far under the bridge.

Been tempted to share it many times prior to this

I sort of figured that I’ve waited to publish it for a period long in excess of the contract period they offered Podge, so why not.
Reply: 16 - 65
toontown
October 22, 2018, 11:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,262
Gold Stars: 70
Podge is such a top bloke, such a shame he was allowed to leave when we got back to the league
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 65
mirrorballman
October 22, 2018, 11:41pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +552
Gold Stars: 8
Podge is fairly clear he didn't want that shared. I think you should remove the posts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 65
arryarryarry
October 23, 2018, 3:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Mariner_09
Hurst's the only manager in my lifetime who genuinely galvanised the club and brought genuine optimism to the club!

just look at where he is compared to us now.

Did he really? I for one never thought he would get us back into the Football League and as the season ended we were going backwards, it was only a dopy foul on Gowling that got us back in the game at Braintree.

Probably heading for the Job Centre, Just one of the many comments on the Ipswich forum :-

It's exactly right. PH being a disaster doesn't in itself mean MM should have stayed. I still maintain it was right for Mick to move on, but the replacement and management since has been nothing short of diabolical. The issue I have is Evans is patient, which has it's benefits in terms of attracting managers, but we can't afford to fanny around at the moment. Hurst should've gone already and put Klug in charge while the search takes place.

Evans needs to pull the trigger immediately.

Private Message
Reply: 19 - 65
October 23, 2018, 4:11am
Guest User
Quoted from mirrorballman
Podge is fairly clear he didn't want that shared. I think you should remove the posts.

I will happily delete if people think I should. As I said, it’s been ages now since it all occurred and so probably doesn’t matter anymore

It’s only the sort of stuff that one of them is likely to put in their book one day so to speak. There’s certainly nothing libellous in any of it. Merely the words of a former player, cut and pasted. Words that he was prepared to put in blAck and white to a supporter.

Bye the way, as can be seen in the very first message, at no time did he ever ask first if I would keep it quiet before then volunteering lots of info. Merely a request not to share it, at the same time as then telling all of that finer detail. He took a chance when deciding to type all of that and share it. As I’ve said, part of me thinks he actually wanted me to spill the content at that time, in a way that got his side of the story out there indirectly. But as it happened I said nothing at all when it was a hot subject, even though I wanted to.

When that first message came through I might easily of replied “hey hold on, you can’t expect me not to say anything having told me all of that Podge. Perhaps you should have checked first”.

He is perhaps very fortunate that I’ve kept council about this for as long as I did. He’s a professional after all and was very naive sebding all of that in his first message to someone he didn’t know. Especially to someone who works in the publishing world.

If I felt that in the advent of time it shouldn’t be shared, then I wouldn’t have done so. They are his words and opinions, not mine.
Reply: 20 - 65
October 23, 2018, 4:43am
Guest User
Quoted from 120790

I will happily delete if people think I should. As I said, it’s been ages now since it all occurred and so probably doesn’t matter anymore

It’s only the sort of stuff that one of them is likely to put in their book one day so to speak. There’s certainly nothing libellous in any of it. Merely the words of a former player, cut and pasted. Words that he was prepared to put in blAck and white to a supporter.

Bye the way, as can be seen in the very first message, at no time did he ever ask first if I would keep it quiet before then volunteering lots of info. Merely a request not to share it, at the same time as then telling all of that finer detail. He took a chance when deciding to type all of that and share it. As I’ve said, part of me thinks he actually wanted me to spill the content at that time, in a way that got his side of the story out there indirectly. But as it happened I said nothing at all when it was a hot subject, even though I wanted to.

When that first message came through I might easily of replied “hey hold on, you can’t expect me not to say anything having told me all of that Podge. Perhaps you should have checked first”.

He is perhaps very fortunate that I’ve kept council about this for as long as I did. He’s a professional after all and was very naive sebding all of that in his first message to someone he didn’t know. Especially to someone who works in the publishing world.

If I felt that in the advent of time it shouldn’t be shared, then I wouldn’t have done so. They are his words and opinions, not mine.

I’ve deleted the posts now containing the words of Podge. I guess now that only a few on here from late last night to the early hours of this morning, will know the content. They can choose to recall it as accurately as they can if they ever wish to.
Reply: 21 - 65
Abdul19
October 23, 2018, 6:39am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,551
Gold Stars: 215
Looking back, I think the 14/15 vintage were a better team, but they didn't win anything! (thanks to a ref)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 65
Cloudy
October 23, 2018, 6:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
FFS!
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 65
mirrorballman
October 23, 2018, 7:56am
Beer Drinker
Quoted from 120790

I’ve deleted the posts now containing the words of Podge. I guess now that only a few on here from late last night to the early hours of this morning, will know the content. They can choose to recall it as accurately as they can if they ever wish to.

I see what you mean about him perhaps sharing it with the intention of being leaked but would he need to do that? He could speak to the press and leak it that way.

Also, in his second message, he thanked you for not sharing the first as it would "open a can of worms" for all parties. I know it was two years ago but he's still playing, Hurst is still managing and maybe his agent still has to deal with GTFC on other players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 65
Rick12
October 23, 2018, 8:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
I liked him as a player.

Nice to see he said good things about Grimsby.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 65
dapperz fun pub
October 23, 2018, 8:07am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
I missed the post but my thought is Podge thought fenty was tight .. anywhere near ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 65
moosey_club
October 23, 2018, 8:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
I missed the post but my thought is Podge thought fenty was tight .. anywhere near ?

No...it was all to do with Wayne Burnett allegedly shagging his wife and Steve Foley was suspected of burgling his house while he was at Peaks Lane doing extra training....pretty sure that was it. .....and with all that going on it was no wonder Dave Beasant could go unnoticed to terrorise the alleyways and women of Cleethorpes in a balaclava

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 65
golfer
October 23, 2018, 8:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,427
Gold Stars: 115
Shouldn't have been put on here in the first place. Several of us know about things that have happened in the past-brown envelopes etc but these shouldn't be broadcast. If a person shares something with you and asks you not to broadcast then his wishes should be honoured.  P.S. "Do you want to know a secret ?"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 65
golfer
October 23, 2018, 8:46am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

No...it was all to do with Wayne Burnett allegedly shagging his wife and Steve Foley was suspected of burgling his house while he was at Peaks Lane doing extra training....pretty sure that was it. .....and with all that going on it was no wonder Dave Beasant could go unnoticed to terrorise the alleyways and women of Cleethorpes in a balaclava

Wish you'd posted this earlier. A few years ago I was down an alley off Cosgrove Street having a wee and this guy in football boots  goalkeepers jersey and wearing a black balaclava brushed past. I didn't think anything of it at the time but your post has brought things back. Could this have been him- nothing unusual on it's own but he wasn't wearing shorts
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 65
promotion plaice
October 23, 2018, 9:02am

Quoted from moosey_club

Always wondered what made him sign for Hartlepool  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 65
Garth
October 23, 2018, 9:07am

Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Who are you? Why would you be party to information like that?

SHUT UP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 65
moosey_club
October 23, 2018, 9:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from golfer

Wish you'd posted this earlier. A few years ago I was down an alley off Cosgrove Street having a wee and this guy in football boots  goalkeepers jersey and wearing a black balaclava brushed past. I didn't think anything of it at the time but your post has brought things back. Could this have been him- nothing unusual on it's own but he wasn't wearing shorts

Copycat Beast .....the original only operated off Grimsby Rd....

if it was a Sunday , particularly in that area, could easily have been the keeper of the former Schuberts Fc ....he was well known for mooning at any opportunity.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 65
Chrisblor
October 23, 2018, 9:18am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,776
Gold Stars: 233
Can someone summarise the deleted post please? What a bloody member tease.

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 65
Maringer
October 23, 2018, 9:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,482
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Chrisblor

They didn't offer him enough money. More precisely, he was understandably a bit miffed they only offered him a year when he thought he was worth more than that.

Fair enough, really.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 65
Ipswin
October 23, 2018, 9:23am
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
FFS please can we leave this alone now. It was a bloody disaster to allow Amond to leave the club and it didn't exactly work out that well for him either (at Hartlepool anyway)

Examining the reasons for his departure is no more than just an excuse for finding a stick to beat someone with (almost certainly Fenty or his agent as the favourite targets) it's pointless.

Unfortunately we are unlikely to chance upon a striker as prolific as him for a long time, if ever, nor someone as much loved by the fans.

Toto is getting absolutely slaughtered by Ipswich Town fans BTW

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 65
Croxton
October 23, 2018, 9:39am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Don't tell it to the trees
She will tell the birds and the bees
And everyone will know
Because you told the blabbering trees
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 65
Rick12
October 23, 2018, 9:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Croxton
Don't tell it to the trees
She will tell the birds and the bees
And everyone will know
Because you told the blabbering trees
I like that  

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 65
Croxton
October 23, 2018, 10:04am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Quoted from Rick12
I like that  

Ink Spots. 1940   (well before my time!)

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 65
moosey_club
October 23, 2018, 10:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Croxton
Ink Spots. 1940   (well before my time!)

Don Estelle & Windsor Davies for me...

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 65
pizzzza
October 23, 2018, 10:24am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Maringer

They didn't offer him enough money. More precisely, he was understandably a bit miffed they only offered him a year when he thought he was worth more than that.

Fair enough, really.

I missed the deleted post but didn't we know this already?
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 65
Mallyner
October 23, 2018, 11:06am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Football Web pages has the scorers wrong, but as far as I can establish, he has scored 5 this season and Jamille Matt has scored 6, with far less game time.

Podge was brilliant at the time, but I felt him and Bogle's best performances were against weaker teams and for most of their partnership, they didn't score many against even the top sides in the Conference.

It's nice that he remembers his time with us with affection, as I remember it with affection too.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 65
golfer
October 23, 2018, 11:17am
Vodka Drinker
I reckon he left because he knew who the next manager was going to be and didn't want to play in goal
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 65
mirrorballman
October 23, 2018, 11:28am
Beer Drinker
Quoted from Mallyner
Football Web pages has the scorers wrong, but as far as I can establish, he has scored 5 this season and Jamille Matt has scored 6, with far less game time.

Podge was brilliant at the time, but I felt him and Bogle's best performances were against weaker teams and for most of their partnership, they didn't score many against even the top sides in the Conference.

It's nice that he remembers his time with us with affection, as I remember it with affection too.  

Three goals would make him our current top scorer. Podge has scored 30 in 100 games since he left us. All twenty five of the strikers we have had since he left don't have that combined. We can spin it to ourselves all day about weak teams or being unproven but the fact is we had a 37 goal striker and, for the reasons outlined by Bigdog, let him go.
One of the biggest and most infuriating GTFC mistakes during my 40 years as a fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 65
LH
October 23, 2018, 11:38am

Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,498
Gold Stars: 173
Absolutely one of the most puzzling decisions Town have ever made from both a football and business perspective.

Who would think that offering a contract of half the length of one previously offered would be accepted?

Were they thinking that if they offered two years he’d want three?

Would that be that bad of a deal anyway?

Do they think that players won’t seek the opinion of other players when they’re approached by clubs to see how the club are around this sort of thing?
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 65
Maringer
October 23, 2018, 11:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,482
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from pizzzza

I missed the deleted post but didn't we know this already?

Only skimmed through the posts last night but sounded like mild criticism of both Hurst and Fenty for not trying harder to keep him (and others, such as Arnold) when they thought they deserved more.

Probably a failing on the part of Hurst for not trying more to get them signed up. Quite possible that he had other players in mind who subsequently didn't join, however.

I do think Amond was a player who only really scored against the weaker teams, but then we've not even had from our strikers that since he left and we sold Bogle!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 65
nealeardleyscrossing
October 23, 2018, 12:01pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -322
Gold Stars: 4
I think we tried to sign him in the Summer - Not sure if we would go back in for him or not.
We looked at him and a couple of the lads who play against you tonight for Colchester.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 65
Ipswin
October 23, 2018, 12:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted Text

I do think Amond was a player who only really scored against the weaker teams

Which explains why he is so dangerous when he plays against us

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 65
Bigdog
October 23, 2018, 12:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
The one thing that Hurst didn't fancy about him was his involvement in team play. I've watched him in about five or six games since he left us and thought he was quite impressive in his movement and hold up play in League Two. Seen as though Hartlepool got relegated and Newport haven't been tearing up any trees at this level, I think his goal return has been impressive. I know there's some Hurst lovers on here but we got Tuton, Chambers and Vernon instead of Podge and bizarrely Kayden Jackson playing on the wing when the last game he played up front, him and Omar looked a pretty dangerous pairing at Colchester. Hardly an upgrade on Amond were they? And an effective established partnership broken up without being tested at the higher level that both players had deserved with their performances.

Unfortunately our football club is built upon very rocky, penny pinching, temperamental and narrow-minded foundations coupled with a complete lack of outside investment and an ideaology formed and retained from the previous century. The fans know it, and spending every day at the club, the players will obviously learn that very quickly. And despite being one of our prized assets scoring 37 goals the previous season, Podge found out that no one is immune from the crass way our football club is run..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 65
Abdul19
October 23, 2018, 1:08pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Ipswin

Which explains why he is so dangerous when he plays against us

Failed to score in 3 of the last 4 games he's played against us, oddly.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 65
supertown
October 23, 2018, 1:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,439
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from Chrisblor

There was no mention of money in the posts, pretty much the opposite actually. Basically , he was offered a two and half year deal halfway through the season didn’t sign it because he didnt know what league we would be in , then in the summer they offered him a 1 yr deal instead. Turned it down and they pretty much didn’t recontact him to negotiate . He needed more security and felt unwanted by the manager and chairman so moved on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 65
davmariner
October 23, 2018, 1:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,911
Gold Stars: 79
I don't think Ascend's conversation with Amond told us anything we didn't already know about how our club is run.

I blame this on PH who saw fit not to offer Podge a two-year deal but then gave Scott Vernon a two-year deal based on a trial game against Gainsborough Trinity. Whilst PH has found himself in the Championship, I think his judgement is far from perfect.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 65
Chrisblor
October 23, 2018, 1:38pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,776
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from supertown

There was no mention of money in the posts, pretty much the opposite actually. Basically , he was offered a two and half year deal halfway through the season didn’t sign it because he didnt know what league we would be in , then in the summer they offered him a 1 yr deal instead. Turned it down and they pretty much didn’t recontact him to negotiate . He needed more security and felt unwanted by the manager and chairman so moved on

Cheers. Dunno what Ascend is playing at in here - that information about deal lengths was all common knowledge and was previously commented on publicly by Amond.

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 65
Cloudy
October 23, 2018, 1:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from supertown

Interesting because at the time Hurst claimed to be calling Podge constantly without success. When he did finally get a response Podge said his agent was sorting it, a few days later he signed for the Monkeyhangers.

Few will believe Hurst over Podge I guess but there are always 2 sides to a story!!
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 65
Garth
October 23, 2018, 1:48pm

Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from davmariner
I don't think Ascend's conversation with Amond told us anything we didn't already know about how our club is run.

I blame this on PH who saw fit not to offer Podge a two-year deal but then gave Scott Vernon a two-year deal based on a trial game against Gainsborough Trinity. Whilst PH has found himself in the Championship, I think his judgement is far from perfect.

Short brief visit according to them in the know at Ipswich, on his way out soon to be replaced by Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 65
psgmariner
October 23, 2018, 1:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Quoted from Garth

Short brief visit according to them in the know at Ipswich, on his way out soon to be replaced by Bruce

Hurst then Bruce and certain relegation. Norwich fans must be loving life.

Private Message
Reply: 55 - 65
TownSNAFU5
October 23, 2018, 2:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
At the time there were reservations by the Board and/or Hurst that Amond might not score many goals in Div 2.  This could have coloured their thinking.  There was a comment at the top of this thread that Amond did not score many goals against the best NL teams.

Personally, I do not give any merit to these reservations - but can see how others might do so at GTFC (even if they are wrong).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 65
Tommy
October 23, 2018, 4:01pm
Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
At the time there were reservations by the Board and/or Hurst that Amond might not score many goals in Div 2.  This could have coloured their thinking.  There was a comment at the top of this thread that Amond did not score many goals against the best NL teams.

Personally, I do not give any merit to these reservations - but can see how others might do so at GTFC (even if they are wrong).

I hope not. The board shouldn't be having such input into how the Manager builds his squad.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 65
AussieMariner
October 23, 2018, 4:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Garth

Just had a KFC moment (Ker F—-ing Ching)
Got Ipswich in the Fishy Pontoon Buster 😎
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 65
Cloudy
October 23, 2018, 6:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from 120790
Someone has pm’d me asking to share the info from Podge again, which contained far more than what has tried to be summarised by those who read it.

But, to save people slaughtering me, I’m gonna leave it

Seems it is more about you that anything else tbh
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 65
Abdul19
October 23, 2018, 6:18pm

Season Ticket Holder
Don't blame you, it would take ages to type it all out again  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 65
Marinerz93
October 23, 2018, 6:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Abdul19
Don't blame you, it would take ages to type it all out again  

[img]https://i.imgur.com/61dOqPS.gif[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/z41dx6I.gif[/img]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 65
HackneyHaddock
October 23, 2018, 9:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Good article.  Author is a Town fan too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 65
KingstonMariner
October 23, 2018, 9:51pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
Good article.  Author is a Town fan too.

Ivan Speck? I knew Tom Whatsisname who writes for the Daily Heil is a Town fan.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 65
Son of Cod
October 24, 2018, 1:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Mallyner

Amond has got 4 assists though and without checking (so sorry if I'm incorrect) I'd guess Matt hasn't had far less game time. They both seem to play most matches whenever I check their lineups. Matt is doing surprisingly well at Newport as he's never really seemed to get anywhere near his Kiddy form in the Football League. Amond is a top 5-10 striker in this league for me though and offers a bit of je ne sais quoi that not many others do in the division. Clever player who ususally brings something to the table even if he's not scoring - which might go someway to explaining Matt's upturn in form.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 65
rancido
October 24, 2018, 8:04pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,570
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from supertown

Sorry to correct you but Podge was offered aan 18 month contract in the January and turned it down.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 65
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Podge

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.