pizzzza
October 23, 2018, 10:24am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,657
Gold Stars: 135
Quoted from Maringer

They didn't offer him enough money. More precisely, he was understandably a bit miffed they only offered him a year when he thought he was worth more than that.

Fair enough, really.

I missed the deleted post but didn't we know this already?
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 65
Mallyner
October 23, 2018, 11:06am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,509
Gold Stars: 22
Football Web pages has the scorers wrong, but as far as I can establish, he has scored 5 this season and Jamille Matt has scored 6, with far less game time.

Podge was brilliant at the time, but I felt him and Bogle's best performances were against weaker teams and for most of their partnership, they didn't score many against even the top sides in the Conference.

It's nice that he remembers his time with us with affection, as I remember it with affection too.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 65
golfer
October 23, 2018, 11:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 111
I reckon he left because he knew who the next manager was going to be and didn't want to play in goal
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 65
mirrorballman
October 23, 2018, 11:28am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +552
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Mallyner
Football Web pages has the scorers wrong, but as far as I can establish, he has scored 5 this season and Jamille Matt has scored 6, with far less game time.

Podge was brilliant at the time, but I felt him and Bogle's best performances were against weaker teams and for most of their partnership, they didn't score many against even the top sides in the Conference.

It's nice that he remembers his time with us with affection, as I remember it with affection too.  

Three goals would make him our current top scorer. Podge has scored 30 in 100 games since he left us. All twenty five of the strikers we have had since he left don't have that combined. We can spin it to ourselves all day about weak teams or being unproven but the fact is we had a 37 goal striker and, for the reasons outlined by Bigdog, let him go.
One of the biggest and most infuriating GTFC mistakes during my 40 years as a fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 65
LH
October 23, 2018, 11:38am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Absolutely one of the most puzzling decisions Town have ever made from both a football and business perspective.

Who would think that offering a contract of half the length of one previously offered would be accepted?

Were they thinking that if they offered two years he’d want three?

Would that be that bad of a deal anyway?

Do they think that players won’t seek the opinion of other players when they’re approached by clubs to see how the club are around this sort of thing?
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 65
Maringer
October 23, 2018, 11:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from pizzzza

I missed the deleted post but didn't we know this already?

Only skimmed through the posts last night but sounded like mild criticism of both Hurst and Fenty for not trying harder to keep him (and others, such as Arnold) when they thought they deserved more.

Probably a failing on the part of Hurst for not trying more to get them signed up. Quite possible that he had other players in mind who subsequently didn't join, however.

I do think Amond was a player who only really scored against the weaker teams, but then we've not even had from our strikers that since he left and we sold Bogle!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 65
nealeardleyscrossing
October 23, 2018, 12:01pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -347
Gold Stars: 4
I think we tried to sign him in the Summer - Not sure if we would go back in for him or not.
We looked at him and a couple of the lads who play against you tonight for Colchester.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 65
Ipswin
October 23, 2018, 12:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted Text

I do think Amond was a player who only really scored against the weaker teams

Which explains why he is so dangerous when he plays against us

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 65
Bigdog
October 23, 2018, 12:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
The one thing that Hurst didn't fancy about him was his involvement in team play. I've watched him in about five or six games since he left us and thought he was quite impressive in his movement and hold up play in League Two. Seen as though Hartlepool got relegated and Newport haven't been tearing up any trees at this level, I think his goal return has been impressive. I know there's some Hurst lovers on here but we got Tuton, Chambers and Vernon instead of Podge and bizarrely Kayden Jackson playing on the wing when the last game he played up front, him and Omar looked a pretty dangerous pairing at Colchester. Hardly an upgrade on Amond were they? And an effective established partnership broken up without being tested at the higher level that both players had deserved with their performances.

Unfortunately our football club is built upon very rocky, penny pinching, temperamental and narrow-minded foundations coupled with a complete lack of outside investment and an ideaology formed and retained from the previous century. The fans know it, and spending every day at the club, the players will obviously learn that very quickly. And despite being one of our prized assets scoring 37 goals the previous season, Podge found out that no one is immune from the crass way our football club is run..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 65
Abdul19
October 23, 2018, 1:08pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Quoted from Ipswin

Which explains why he is so dangerous when he plays against us

Failed to score in 3 of the last 4 games he's played against us, oddly.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 65
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Podge

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.