lew chaterleys lover
October 22, 2018, 10:01am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from ska face

Maybe it’s about balance then? If people can’t celebrate a decent result with the same vigour as tearing into a bad one, then maybe each situation needs a level of understanding and nuance? Especially given what people are advocating every time we have a bad run, in sacking the manager and all the staff, and starting again from scratch. Do we need an inquest and a hanging after every loss? Maybe after 6 on the bounce or whatever, but this has been going on for years every time there’s a duff performance.  

This 17 years of abject failure can quite easily be laid at the door of one bloke, but he’s not the one copping for it when the team gets booed off at half time or when JJ Hooper misses a header.

Its human nature Ska. You wont change that.

Look at any forum in the land - after a defeat the sky caves in. Your'e sitting pretty in the Premier League, youv'e had a run that includes winning every cup going, you have been winners of the Champions League for 10 years straight, and then you lose a game... crisis and the forum goes into meltdown!

Compare that to us - struggling at the bottom of division 4, after nearly two decades of decline; of course people are going to vent their anger after another defeat, another failure. The crowd were very appreciative on Saturday after a decent performance, if a bit backs to the wall in the second half.

Personally  I prefer to look at how the team is playing rather than just the result, and in patches the last two home games have been more encouraging, but before that Carlisle away game we were getting worse and worse with that Morecambe performance the worst I have seen in a long time so I can understand people being reticent to praise too much after a better mini run.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 83
MuddyWaters
October 22, 2018, 10:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235

Its human nature Ska. You wont change that.

Look at any forum in the land - after a defeat the sky caves in. Your'e sitting pretty in the Premier League, youv'e had a run that includes winning every cup going, you have been winners of the Champions League for 10 years straight, and then you lose a game... crisis and the forum goes into meltdown!

Compare that to us - struggling at the bottom of division 4, after nearly two decades of decline; of course people are going to vent their anger after another defeat, another failure. The crowd were very appreciative on Saturday after a decent performance, if a bit backs to the wall in the second half.

Personally  I prefer to look at how the team is playing rather than just the result, and in patches the last two home games have been more encouraging, but before that Carlisle away game we were getting worse and worse with that Morecambe performance the worst I have seen in a long time so I can understand people being reticent to praise too much after a better mini run.

A run of three games unbeaten is great news and in reality, we have to accept where we are. How we got to this point is another matter.

The Morecambe game represented a sixth straight defeat but I don't recall too many actually wanting to see MJ go - most think that he's going to be OK and certainly better than the two other post-Hurst appointments. We clearly had a bad run of injuries & suspensions and several players had not had a full pre-season. In fact, it was notable that both Dixon & Woolford didn't even make the bench on Saturday having been regular starters a month ago.

We are a team in development without doubt, but three weeks ago a team that would have lost to Exeter.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 83
Jarmo.Is.God
October 22, 2018, 10:19am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
There's more to a player than scoring goals.

That's all I'll say
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 83
moosey_club
October 22, 2018, 11:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,199
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

That's all I'll say

Yes, McKeown has pretty much been ever present season after season and he hasn't scored a single goal.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 83
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 22, 2018, 12:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

That's all I'll say

Vernam especially is a good player and perhaps a role has to be found for him though why he fades as he does is still a mystery. Thomas has been brought in to sort of fill the LJL line leader role of old. That leaves Hooper who is really out of position but still gets into danger positions and is useful in defensive situations too. Neither he nor Vernam show signs of the coolness to be a true striker or the instinct to get a finishing touch on the ball in the six yard box.

We might admire them as individuals but this is a team game and a team needs a blend of talents,  it is no use having 3 players up front who all work their spherical objects off if there is not going to be an end product from at least one of them on a regular basis. Other clubs seem to have had success with proven strikers from lower leagues, maybe we should try for another Bogle.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 83
rancido
October 22, 2018, 12:43pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MuddyWaters

A run of three games unbeaten is great news and in reality, we have to accept where we are. How we got to this point is another matter.

The Morecambe game represented a sixth straight defeat but I don't recall too many actually wanting to see MJ go - most think that he's going to be OK and certainly better than the two other post-Hurst appointments. We clearly had a bad run of injuries & suspensions and several players had not had a full pre-season. In fact, it was notable that both Dixon & Woolford didn't even make the bench on Saturday having been regular starters a month ago.

We are a team in development without doubt, but three weeks ago a team that would have lost to Exeter.

Sorry to contradict you but I think you will find a few who wanted him to go. I seem to recall the expressions " clueless ", " out of his depth ", " not enough experience" and a few others. It was always going to be a slow journey ( although I must admit some of the performances were poor and I was starting to have my doubts about his ability) but I kept reminding myself how he helped us to avoid relegation last season. If Slade , the experienced manager , had remained then I think we would have definitely gone down. There are signs that we may have turned the corner and 7 points out of a possible 9 shows good form but I certainly aren't getting carried away with this. IMO MJ will develop into a good manager for us but it will take time beyond this season to see that. Another two transfer windows and I think you will see a squad that will be completely his own and who will work towards his playing ethos. The one area he has very little experience in is recruitment. For all his time at Burnley working with the under 23's , they will all have been players who came from the junior levels so in a way not originally signed by him. He will need time to identify those players he can work with and those he can't. I think JJ is an example of this as he obviously has ability but needs a lot of work in " coaching "  to help in positioning, anticipation and team work. IMO MJ sees this in him and that's why he persists with him. I could be wrong but MJ must see what we see in a game and JJ's contribution is sadly lacking.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 83
GTFCH
October 22, 2018, 1:48pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +79
The best thing about this current starting lineup is their average age. The midfield 3 on Saturday. Ages 19, 20 & 24. These lads along with the likes of Whitmore at 23, I hope, have still got a lot of improvement still to come. Encouraging stuff!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 83
Cloudy
October 22, 2018, 2:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from GTFCH
The best thing about this current starting lineup is their average age. The midfield 3 on Saturday. Ages 19, 20 & 24. These lads along with the likes of Whitmore at 23, I hope, have still got a lot of improvement still to come. Encouraging stuff!

Totally agree.

I'd add that mistakes will happen and they may lack consistency but imo I would much rather see us trying to bring through younger players than be over reliant on 30 somethings. Yes, a balance is needed but youthful energy and desire to improve is the best way forward for GTFC for me
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 83
Mariner_09
October 22, 2018, 2:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Vernam 22, RHJ 23, Hendrie 24, JJ 25 as well. It's a much younger side than last year.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 83
MuddyWaters
October 22, 2018, 4:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from rancido

Sorry to contradict you but I think you will find a few who wanted him to go. I seem to recall the expressions " clueless ", " out of his depth ", " not enough experience" and a few others. It was always going to be a slow journey ( although I must admit some of the performances were poor and I was starting to have my doubts about his ability) but I kept reminding myself how he helped us to avoid relegation last season. If Slade , the experienced manager , had remained then I think we would have definitely gone down. There are signs that we may have turned the corner and 7 points out of a possible 9 shows good form but I certainly aren't getting carried away with this. IMO MJ will develop into a good manager for us but it will take time beyond this season to see that. Another two transfer windows and I think you will see a squad that will be completely his own and who will work towards his playing ethos. The one area he has very little experience in is recruitment. For all his time at Burnley working with the under 23's , they will all have been players who came from the junior levels so in a way not originally signed by him. He will need time to identify those players he can work with and those he can't. I think JJ is an example of this as he obviously has ability but needs a lot of work in " coaching "  to help in positioning, anticipation and team work. IMO MJ sees this in him and that's why he persists with him. I could be wrong but MJ must see what we see in a game and JJ's contribution is sadly lacking.

Don't see as a contradiction at all. A lack of experience for sure but the only way to get experience is to battle through adversity which is what he seems to be doing.

Hopefully the next transfer window allows him to pick up another 2 or 3 that will improve the starting 11. Our recent history shows that we have tended to go down the table rather than up after the January window - it would be nice to go the other way.
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 83
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.