9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Jaws
October 21, 2018, 3:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Could have easily lost that 2 nil but for a bit of good fortune. So greatful they missed their penalty and a sitter as it would have detracted from what was a really good performance with lots of "pass and move".

Hooper was dire, I don't think we can justify giving him a game every week on the off-chance that he can be bothered. He can be a great player, but something isn't quite there with his attitude.

Vernam had a great game and didn't think he should have come off but it was clear from 70 minutes that Exeter were much fitter and any chance of winning started to faded away at that point.

Undefeated in October with 3 clean sheets is good. None of the current top 3 have beaten us. If we beat Colchester on Tuesday then we've really turned a corner.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 83
Hagrid
October 21, 2018, 4:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,384
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from Jaws
Could have easily lost that 2 nil but for a bit of good fortune. So greatful they missed their penalty and a sitter as it would have detracted from what was a really good performance with lots of "pass and move".

Hooper was dire, I don't think we can justify giving him a game every week on the off-chance that he can be bothered. He can be a great player, but something isn't quite there with his attitude.

Vernam had a great game and didn't think he should have come off but it was clear from 70 minutes that Exeter were much fitter and any chance of winning started to faded away at that point.

Undefeated in October with 3 clean sheets is good. None of the current top 3 have beaten us. If we beat Colchester on Tuesday then we've really turned a corner.

Did vernam have a great game? I guess its all about opinions but personally i dont think he did. First half he ran at them and created his own chance, second half ?. Did his usual and vanished, i think he’s still getting fit and will be a good 90 minute player for us when he’s ready but i dont get this view that he had a great game yesterday at all
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 83
Ipswin
October 21, 2018, 4:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Hagrid

Did vernam have a great game? I guess its all about opinions but personally i dont think he did. First half he ran at them and created his own chance, second half ?. Did his usual and vanished, i think he’s still getting fit and will be a good 90 minute player for us when he’s ready but i dont get this view that he had a great game yesterday at all

Is it really a matter of fitness? Surely he should be 100% by now There's summat wrong if he isn't. I really rate him but the way it's going he'll be retired before he can last 90 mins.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 83
Hagrid
October 21, 2018, 4:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,384
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from Ipswin

Is it really a matter of fitness? Surely he should be 100% by now There's summat wrong if he isn't. I really rate him but the way it's going he'll be retired before he can last 90 mins.

Quite possibly could be more mate i dont know. But i agree he should be 100% by now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 83
MuddyWaters
October 21, 2018, 5:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Hagrid

Of course Vernam didn't have the same influence as he did against Vale - first & foremost, we were playing a much better team. Second half he was only on the pitch for 17 minutes so the only 'vanishing' he had time for was getting subbed off. In the meantime JJ continued to jump under most headers.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 83
lew chaterleys lover
October 21, 2018, 5:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from arryarryarry

I agree about Hooper, someone mentioned previously he helps out defensively but at one point when we were under pressure late on in the second half they had a throw in towards the Osmond in front of the Youngs and Hooper turned his back on it and walked away leaving Hendrie outnumbered.

He gives the ball away too often for me and for a so called wide mine hardly creates anything for the forwards. I just couldn't understand how he remained on the pitch and Vernam and Embleton were taken off.

Still I thought one of the best games of the season so far.

I think we have just got to be honest about Hooper. Like the fans of all his previous clubs warned us - he has just got no desire. He is probably great in training, I would imagine him being a real star when there is no pressure.

He half-heartedly jumps for headers and one great game in 10 or 20 is not a good enough return. I am surprised Jolley has stuck with him, but if only he could gee himself up.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 83
golfer
October 21, 2018, 5:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
The dog's bruises have nearly gone He has actually  started to greet me at the gate when I come home from the match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 83
golfer
October 21, 2018, 5:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
If the fans gave Hooper a bit more confidence I think we would see a lot more of this lad
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 83
Cloudy
October 21, 2018, 5:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431

I think we have just got to be honest about Hooper. Like the fans of all his previous clubs warned us - he has just got no desire. He is probably great in training, I would imagine him being a real star when there is no pressure.

He half-heartedly jumps for headers and one great game in 10 or 20 is not a good enough return. I am surprised Jolley has stuck with him, but if only he could gee himself up.

‘No desire, no effort’?

The facts just don’t bear this out though.
According to the analyst chaps Hooper always is in the top 3 for metres covered and sprints during games.
Maybe some are blinded by preconceived ideas??
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 83
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 21, 2018, 5:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Cloudy

‘No desire, no effort’?

The facts just don’t bear this out though.
According to the analyst chaps Hooper always is in the top 3 for metres covered and sprints during games.
Maybe some are blinded by preconceived ideas??

It’s quality not quantity that counts.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 83
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.