This thread currently has 19,372 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
speedy
October 21, 2018, 8:19am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +10 / -10
Approval: +445
For the penelty save Macca was staring towards the touchline waiting for instruction. Sam Russell told him which way to dive and the bench celebrated as if he saved the penelty aswell. Great research done by him to know the way the attacker was going to put it!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 83
TheRealJohnLewis
October 21, 2018, 9:18am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from speedy
For the penelty save Macca was staring towards the touchline waiting for instruction. Sam Russell told him which way to dive and the bench celebrated as if he saved the penelty aswell. Great research done by him to know the way the attacker was going to put it!

From Macca's interview in the telewag.

“It’s something that I’ve tried before when I don’t really know what I’m doing!” McKeown told the Telegraph.

“To be honest, when he got it, I couldn’t remember where he went before or what I’d seen, so I just thought I’m going to point that way and try and double bluff him"

Private Message
Reply: 31 - 83
lobsterpot
October 21, 2018, 10:20am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +18 / -2
Approval: +742
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You're seriously questioning the Mitch Rose 'love-in'? Watch the game again and tell me when he lost possession yesterday because I can't remember it.

Credit where credit is due. Mitch had a great game yesterday and you could not single him out for losing the ball BUT i must add that, more often than not, in other games we do tend to concede goals when he tries to perform turns on the ball that he isnt capable of and loses posession. No negativitivity here though. I'm hoping he's learned from his faults and improved and carries it through and becomes our new trojan leader! Just pointing out he has been very guilty early doors of the season. Maybe he needs a few penos to get back on the front foot   UTM

" YOU ALWAYS SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS, SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS........"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 83
HertsGTFC
October 21, 2018, 10:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from lobsterpot

Credit where credit is due. Mitch had a great game yesterday and you could not single him out for losing the ball BUT i must add that, more often than not, in other games we do tend to concede goals when he tries to perform turns on the ball that he isnt capable of and loses posession. No negativitivity here though. I'm hoping he's learned from his faults and improved and carries it through and becomes our new trojan leader! Just pointing out he has been very guilty early doors of the season. Maybe he needs a few penos to get back on the front foot   UTM

Which games are you on about?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 83
rancido
October 21, 2018, 11:48am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,532
Gold Stars: 96
I thoroughly enjoyed the game and, for a 0-0 draw it certainly wasn't boring. It's still early days but there are signs of improvement and it would appear that the players are beginning to grasp how MJ wants them to play. A settled ( or basically settled ) side is starting to exhibit continuity and confidence with  strong evidence of understanding between the players.

I thought the match showed both sides of Maccas play - and don't interpret this as a slating of him. On the plus side he pulled off a brilliant penalty save and exhibited a lot of confidence. Whereas on the negative side his kicking left a lot to be desired at times and his slip from the kick-off for the second half could have so easily cost us a goal. In his defence I thought the pass back to him was totally unnecessary but these things happen.I also question Hoopers extended run as first team choice. He seems to be in a world of his own at times and seems slow to react to changes in play - he certainly appears more reactive than proactive in his play. Also, contrary to a previous poster, I don't think he gives a lot of support to his full-back when we are defending. I expected Pringle to replace him for the last 15 mins or so but MJ obviously thought different.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 83
MuddyWaters
October 21, 2018, 12:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from rancido
I thoroughly enjoyed the game and, for a 0-0 draw it certainly wasn't boring. It's still early days but there are signs of improvement and it would appear that the players are beginning to grasp how MJ wants them to play. A settled ( or basically settled ) side is starting to exhibit continuity and confidence with  strong evidence of understanding between the players.

I thought the match showed both sides of Maccas play - and don't interpret this as a slating of him. On the plus side he pulled off a brilliant penalty save and exhibited a lot of confidence. Whereas on the negative side his kicking left a lot to be desired at times and his slip from the kick-off for the second half could have so easily cost us a goal. In his defence I thought the pass back to him was totally unnecessary but these things happen.I also question Hoopers extended run as first team choice. He seems to be in a world of his own at times and seems slow to react to changes in play - he certainly appears more reactive than proactive in his play. Also, contrary to a previous poster, I don't think he gives a lot of support to his full-back when we are defending. I expected Pringle to replace him for the last 15 mins or so but MJ obviously thought different.

I know Macca made a great penno save yesterday but I seriously question how the sponsors could make him MoM ahead of at least 3 others (Rose, Whitmore, Hendrie and possibly Collins).

Regarding JJ, it was hard not to single him out yesterday as he appeared to have so little impact on the game compared to others. There was one notable occasion when Vernam was telling him which gap to run into and by the time he'd made the run, the pass was cut off.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 83
devs
October 21, 2018, 12:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 30
Mitch Rose looks way better in the current shape of the midfield and team
Him, Welsh and Hess was just too pedestrian, slow, little creativity etc and I think Rose perhaps got unfairly blamed

I've taken to him a lot more in last two games - he looks far better and more comfortable with a couple of high energy players alongside him - ie: Clifton and Embleton

The balance is way better now and those three are playing in their best positions, doing what they are best at etc

Hooper is an enigma - he seems to do the hard things easily and vice versa

And he makes it easy for the critics to be on his back - late on he had the chance to challenge a defender one on one. He never did - he should at least have challenged and if he gave away a free kick so what?

Hoope gives balance down the left, in his 'lazy' style works hard for the team, and is part of a winning team - in time I'd like to see Pringle on the left and/or perhaps Vernam out there with Cook in the middle

MJ rates Hopper and that's fine by me with three clean sheets, 7pts out of 9, and mini unbeaten run
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 83
Grantham_Mariner
October 21, 2018, 2:31pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,177
Gold Stars: 50
It helps when we get a decent Ref like Matthew Donohue yesterday. One of the better new up and coming officials.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 83
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 21, 2018, 2:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
The most impressive thing is the 3 clean sheets. The manager deserves credit for obvious work done on the training ground and for having the nerve to keep a winning side despite some “senior” players being fit.

Sadly we do not have a striker on the books unless Akheem Rose turns up trumps. For all his skill and effort and the manager’s kind words, Vernam will never be a goalscorer so someone must be signed as a priority in the next window. It would be tragic if all that work on keeping clean sheets was to go to waste because we cannot capitalise on it. But for the moment we should just be thankful for small mercies and not to be leaking goals. Just imagine what Paul Hurst would give just now for 3 clean sheets on the bounce eh?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 83
arryarryarry
October 21, 2018, 2:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I know Macca made a great penno save yesterday but I seriously question how the sponsors could make him MoM ahead of at least 3 others (Rose, Whitmore, Hendrie and possibly Collins).

Regarding JJ, it was hard not to single him out yesterday as he appeared to have so little impact on the game compared to others. There was one notable occasion when Vernam was telling him which gap to run into and by the time he'd made the run, the pass was cut off.

I agree about Hooper, someone mentioned previously he helps out defensively but at one point when we were under pressure late on in the second half they had a throw in towards the Osmond in front of the Youngs and Hooper turned his back on it and walked away leaving Hendrie outnumbered.

He gives the ball away too often for me and for a so called wide mine hardly creates anything for the forwards. I just couldn't understand how he remained on the pitch and Vernam and Embleton were taken off.

Still I thought one of the best games of the season so far.

Private Message
Reply: 39 - 83
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.