Johnny Scott

This thread currently has 2,240 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Great Scott
October 20, 2018, 10:07am

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +0
Let's remember it was 60 years ago this year when Johnny Scott played for Northern Ireland at the 1958 World Cup. Johnny was, in my opinion, the most talented player to play for us. Many wonderful memories of him - his trickery, superb crosses, vollies across the ground to land in the opposite corner of the net, his crossfield interplay with Jimmy Fell, so exciting. He came to us from Manchester United and I'm sure they wouldn't have released him if he'd had stronger fitness levels. It was the early days of TV and there wasn't much coverage in those days, unfortunately. If anyone knows of any footage, would be great to see it. Do remember seeing us beat Fulham 1-0 away on a very muddy pitch, Johnny scoring the only goal on Saturday Special?
Logged Offline
Private Message
NorthseaMariner
October 20, 2018, 10:17am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,518
Gold Stars: 11
Always remember him at town station smoking a cigar, the team had just secured promotion to what would now be the championship, by beating Brentford. Us and QPR where promoted that year.
I was 11 I think, and just started watching town. Such a long time ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 7
Perkins
October 20, 2018, 11:12am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,964
Gold Stars: 7
Terrific player, very rarely ventured into his own half, just waited on the half way line for the ball then he was off, fast and very tricky, my favourite player from that era. When he retired from football he worked as a scaffolder in Manchester, and unfortunately died quite young when he fell off some scaffolding.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 7
grimsby pete
October 20, 2018, 12:13pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Great player who was a nice man as well,

I remember talking to him at the 6 a side tournament held at sussex rec every year,

Also never saw him miss a pen he always put the ball in the same place half up the keepers right hand post,with the right power and accurentcy that the keeper never got near it.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 7
golfer
October 20, 2018, 12:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,377
Gold Stars: 112
Scott and Fell on the wings-every cross to Ron Rafferty's head-bang-a certain goal.  What a trio.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 7
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 20, 2018, 12:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Scott was as good on the ball as Gazza. I have many memories of him playing as for a while I used to watch in the boys’ paddock and for a half at least he was right in front of me.  We played Southampton in April on a Tuesday night in the last D3 home game of the season. They were champions and a good side. Terry Paine and Brian Clifton both played for them that night. We won 3-2 with two goals laid on by Scott and one by Jimmy Fell, Alan Barnett saved a penalty. One goal I can always see in my imagination as almost the perfect Grimsby move. Don Donovan chipped a pass over the midfield to down the line to Scott right on the touch line in front of me. Johnny trapped it and just sidestepped the defender.  Then he stopped and waited for the defender to get up and have another go, nutmegged him and belted over an absolutely perfect cross curling away from the keeper for Ralph Hunt to bury the header. As a 12 year old seeing this in close up it was magic.

Johnny was also Town’s penalty taker. I can only remember one miss, maybe against Lincoln at the Osmond end. It was such a surprise that there was just stunned silence I think.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 7
Great Scott
October 20, 2018, 12:48pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +0
Scott was as good on the ball as Gazza. I have many memories of him playing as for a while I used to watch in the boys’ paddock and for a half at least he was right in front of me.  We played Southampton in April on a Tuesday night in the last D3 home game of the season. They were champions and a good side. Terry Paine and Brian Clifton both played for them that night. We won 3-2 with two goals laid on by Scott and one by Jimmy Fell, Alan Barnett saved a penalty. One goal I can always see in my imagination as almost the perfect Grimsby move. Don Donovan chipped a pass over the midfield to down the line to Scott right on the touch line in front of me. Johnny trapped it and just sidestepped the defender.  Then he stopped and waited for the defender to get up and have another go, nutmegged him and belted over an absolutely perfect cross curling away from the keeper for Ralph Hunt to bury the header. As a 12 year old seeing this in close up it was magic.

Johnny was also Town’s penalty taker. I can only remember one miss, maybe against Lincoln at the Osmond end. It was such a surprise that there was just stunned silence I think.

Thanks for that. Always remember away game at Lincoln. We were losing 4-0 at half-time! Johnny worked his magic and he was unstoppable. We drew 4-4, our goals coming from Scott crosses to Rafferty's head. Ron got a hat-trick, did he get all 4?
That wonderful season with a forward line of Scott, ?, Rafferty, Hunt, Fell! Was it still Mike Cullen at inside forward? If I remember correctly, we started with an away 3-3 draw at Liverpool? The football we played in the first few matches was incredible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 7
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 20, 2018, 1:34pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Great Scott

Thanks for that. Always remember away game at Lincoln. We were losing 4-0 at half-time! Johnny worked his magic and he was unstoppable. We drew 4-4, our goals coming from Scott crosses to Rafferty's head. Ron got a hat-trick, did he get all 4?
That wonderful season with a forward line of Scott, ?, Rafferty, Hunt, Fell! Was it still Mike Cullen at inside forward? If I remember correctly, we started with an away 3-3 draw at Liverpool? The football we played in the first few matches was incredible.

Yes it was Mick Cullen. He and Scott and Donovan used to play these lovely triangles down the right. Ron got all 4 that day at Lincoln. Ralph Hunt and Ron had fantastic season together in 1959/60 but then Hunt hurt his knee and was never the same player. At the end of 1961 season he went just after Fell went to Everton and a couple of years later he was killed in a car crash. The silver lining for Town was that we got Cliff Portwood playing with Rafferty in the 1962 promotion season.

Scott’s penalties were amazing at times. Every one was different. He took one against Bradford at the Osmond end one Easter with the outside of his foot that started off left and swerved into the right hand corner netting with the keeper still going the other way. At that time you could get in free at half time and I had sneaked from the main stand to behind the Osmond goal.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.