Bigdog
October 9, 2018, 9:36am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from pen penfras

I doubt anybody knows that. Most clubs don't disclose their budget. But that's not really the right question, my question is, how can the budget be greater when it is well balanced vs income right now?

Short of relocating or a huge investment in BP, I don't see many opportunities to expand our revenue streams other than more fans through the gate. The biggest factor of fans through the gate is whether we are winning or not.

No, the biggest factor is whether the public have any belief left in GTFC. If they did the ground zero for our core support would be larger and the fluctuations due to whether we won games or not would be on top of a higher base figure.

A Football League club's marketing department not being able to get every player sponsored for the season is a joke. Looked at a video of a Cleethorpes Town game this week. Their pitch is surrounded fully by advertising hoardings, everything else is sponsored and by the looks of it the food they offer is far superior to the dreadful fayre at GTFC. But then again, they've got a huge body of like-minded people putting into place fresh ideas. And then Lincoln. Other than the Co-op Stand, their stadium is as bad as ours, they've attracted new investment and board members, had a similar FA Cup windfall amount as the money we got for Bogle, yet they seemed to have been able to galvanise themselves well and have a much larger playing budget.

So there are other methods in creating larger revenue streams, but we just keep on doing the same thing year after year, standing still while the football world moves forward including a club that's only one mile down the road..

What you've written Pen Penfras is just another version of "We do our PR on the pitch"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
Cloudy
October 9, 2018, 9:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
As I posted on the other thread;

"Agree, that I for one dont want Fenty increasing his loans in any shape or form BUT I maintain that with proper engagement with the community the budget could be bigger, much bigger.

The fact is there is no encouragement for season ticket purchases, no genuine attempt to involve the business community, no clear plan to get buy-in from all elements of the community.

There are ways of increasing income other than Mr Fenty lending the club money"
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
promotion plaice
October 9, 2018, 10:02am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from Cloudy
As I posted on the other thread;

"Agree, that I for one dont want Fenty increasing his loans in any shape or form BUT I maintain that with proper engagement with the community the budget could be bigger, much bigger.

The fact is there is no encouragement for season ticket purchases, no genuine attempt to involve the business community, no clear plan to get buy-in from all elements of the community.

There are ways of increasing income other than Mr Fenty lending the club money"

I bought my season ticket so I could get a few games for free  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
pen penfras
October 9, 2018, 10:03am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Bigdog

No, the biggest factor is whether the public have any belief left in GTFC. If they did the ground zero for our core support would be larger and the fluctuations due to whether we won games or not would be on top of a higher base figure.

A Football League club's marketing department not being able to get every player sponsored for the season is a joke. Looked at a video of a Cleethorpes Town game this week. Their pitch is surrounded fully by advertising hoardings, everything else is sponsored and by the looks of it the food they offer is far superior to the dreadful fayre at GTFC. But then again, they've got a huge body of like-minded people putting into place fresh ideas. And then Lincoln. Other than the Co-op Stand, their stadium is as bad as ours, they've attracted new investment and board members, had a similar FA Cup windfall amount as the money we got for Bogle, yet they seemed to have been able to galvanise themselves well and have a much larger playing budget.

So there are other methods in creating larger revenue streams, but we just keep on doing the same thing year after year, standing still while the football world moves forward including a club that's only one mile down the road..

What you've written Pen Penfras is just another version of "We do our PR on the pitch"

I'm not saying that there isn't more that can be done and should be done. I just don't believe that it will be a significant enough number to put more than maybe a couple of hundred on the gate. And even still, the people that need special reasons to come won't stick around through losing 6 in a row.

You talk about Lincoln, but it's not like people bought into success at Lincoln and then they built on that. They had "football success" and then the people turned up. Had we romped the league and got a great cup run when in the national league, then we'd have got a better turnout for that and the next season. You talk about belief in GTFC, but that belief is based on what happens on the pitch. If we're winning, nobody gives a crap about what the board have to say, and they don't need to say anything.

I can't think of a single example that works in the order you're suggesting where a club does something other than winning games to get fans through the gates and then success takes off from there. Maybe you can count some of the clubs who got new stadiums, but most of those the numbers soon dropped if they weren't winning.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
golfer
October 9, 2018, 10:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
If we put a winning run together the gates will increase and therefore our budget. If we don't win matches the gates will not increase no matter what we do outside.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
Bigdog
October 9, 2018, 12:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from pen penfras

I'm not saying that there isn't more that can be done and should be done. I just don't believe that it will be a significant enough number to put more than maybe a couple of hundred on the gate. And even still, the people that need special reasons to come won't stick around through losing 6 in a row.

You talk about Lincoln, but it's not like people bought into success at Lincoln and then they built on that. They had "football success" and then the people turned up. Had we romped the league and got a great cup run when in the national league, then we'd have got a better turnout for that and the next season. You talk about belief in GTFC, but that belief is based on what happens on the pitch. If we're winning, nobody gives a crap about what the board have to say, and they don't need to say anything.

I can't think of a single example that works in the order you're suggesting where a club does something other than winning games to get fans through the gates
and then success takes off from there. Maybe you can count some of the clubs who got new stadiums, but most of those the numbers soon dropped if they weren't winning.

Bradford..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 9, 2018, 2:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from golfer
If we put a winning run together the gates will increase and therefore our budget. If we don't win matches the gates will not increase no matter what we do outside.

Precisely. The obsession with the long term keeps obscuring the future. If the club had stopped this preoccupation with long term planning and invested in what was happening on the pitch, the results would have brought in the crowds, the crowds would have made the case for the new stadium. Everything went @rse about face but in football you cannot make progress that way. Building things slowly is a very dangerous game, it only takes one slip and you are back on the naughty step.

Hurst was given an age to get promotion, he did it but where was the momentum when we arrived in L2? The fans were buzzing, we had just had Op. Prom., we were ready for lift off. What did we get? Parkway, Parkway, Parkway ........ when it should have been L1, L1, L1 ....

I think there must be people at this club who are terrified by the prospect of success!

The one decision Hurst made that I sympathised with was his leaving, he is a professional and he just knew it was going to be more of the same and probably a fight against relegation followed by the sack. So he got out from underneath while he could. And still we have people talking about the long term, letting managers develop on a journey! Absolute bloody waste of time doing that when we are floundering around and behaving like a conference club. I don’t object to the club having a five year plan, just as long as it includes 2 quick promotions. Otherwise our “journey” will be mainly in reverse gear.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
marinerdazza
October 9, 2018, 2:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,781
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from Bigdog

Bradford..

Probably not the best time to use them as an example tbh.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
MuddyWaters
October 9, 2018, 4:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from pen penfras

I can't think of a single example that works in the order you're suggesting where a club does something other than winning games to get fans through the gates and then success takes off from there. Maybe you can count some of the clubs who got new stadiums, but most of those the numbers soon dropped if they weren't winning.

In case you've forgotten, in only 1 season in the last 15 have we had a GTFC team in the top half of a Football League table so that's probably why we hang on the board's every word.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Investment of faith in development

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.