This thread currently has 3,118 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Cod Cheeks
October 1, 2018, 9:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
If, hypothetically speaking, the senior players don't buy into MJs methods, are they right to undermine him or should they buy into his ways?
I see nothing by the way of leadership on the pitch and without this, the younger players seem to be like headless chickens.
Nothing about Collins, Welsh and Woolford inspires me and yet they are in the first 11 in front of some decent looking youngsters every week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
chaos33
October 1, 2018, 9:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Which promising youngsters are they keeping out of the team?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 14
MuddyWaters
October 1, 2018, 9:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,880
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Cod Cheeks
If, hypothetically speaking, the senior players don't buy into MJs methods, are they right to undermine him or should they buy into his ways?
I see nothing by the way of leadership on the pitch and without this, the younger players seem to be like headless chickens.
Nothing about Collins, Welsh and Woolford inspires me and yet they are in the first 11 in front of some decent looking youngsters every week.

I get that you could replace Welsh with Clifton and Woolford with Wright but which youngster would replace Collins? I'm guessing Famewo but he's out injured for two weeks.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 14
Kris2
October 1, 2018, 10:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Cod Cheeks
yet they are in the first 11 in front of some decent looking youngsters every week.

Team isn't picked based on who you fancy
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 14
KingstonMariner
October 1, 2018, 10:43pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Hypothetically speaking, if senior players don't buy in, they should (after discussing it with the manager), shut the intercourse up and do their best to follow the plan. If they don't like it they should urine off at the next available opportunity. I'd resent paying to see players not doing their best.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 14
HertsGTFC
October 2, 2018, 6:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Hypothetically speaking, if senior players don't buy in, they should (after discussing it with the manager), shut the intercourse up and do their best to follow the plan. If they don't like it they should urine off at the next available opportunity. I'd resent paying to see players not doing their best.

This

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 14
grimsby pete
October 2, 2018, 12:29pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221

I wonder if it is Jolley telling Collins to keep backing off all the time and what he really wants to do is tackle the man or nip in and pinch the ball then storm up the field and put a 35 yarder into the top corner.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 14
diehardmariner
October 2, 2018, 12:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,064
Gold Stars: 518
There's a lot of talk that there's this senior player clique that's running the show, but do we know if that's the actual case for definite?  

If it is indeed the case then bin them off straight away, don't care who they are.  No player is bigger than the club and quite frankly there's not a single player in the team at the minute who wouldn't benefit from doing some self-reflecting rather than trying to influence others.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 14
Cloudy
October 2, 2018, 1:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from grimsby pete

I wonder if it is Jolley telling Collins to keep backing off all the time and what he really wants to do is tackle the man or nip in and pinch the ball then storm up the field and put a 35 yarder into the top corner.

Who knows?

You cannot keep backing off, you need to eventually step out and try and tackle or at the very least hold up the attacker. Their 1st goal on Sat a prime example but where was Welch? He should not be getting ahead of the ball. He should be playing a few yards in front of the centre backs, protecting them from opponents running from deep. He hasnt got the energy to cover every blade of grass, he needs to do the job of a sitting, protective centre mid allowing others to get up and support.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 14
diehardmariner
October 2, 2018, 1:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,064
Gold Stars: 518
Quoted from Cloudy

Who knows?

You cannot keep backing off, you need to eventually step out and try and tackle or at the very least hold up the attacker. Their 1st goal on Sat a prime example but where was Welch? He should not be getting ahead of the ball. He should be playing a few yards in front of the centre backs, protecting them from opponents running from deep. He hasnt got the energy to cover every blade of grass, he needs to do the job of a sitting, protective centre mid allowing others to get up and support.

Which is what we signed him for wasn't it?  Protecting a back 3 and allowing 2 more energetic midfielders to push forward.   He can't play in a 4-4-2.  Poor Hessenthaler spent most of Saturday doing doggies up and down the pitch trying to cover every blade of grass, hardly getting a touch of the ball in the process.  

The other consideration from Saturday is that we had Embleton on the left but he naturally drifted inside and Woolford on the right coming in on his natural side which left big gaps out wide.  With Harry Davis ridiculously out of position down the left we were exposed all over the place.  Welsh's natural game is to cover others but he can't cover that many gaps.  

I think Collins has gone, I hate to say it because it's the end of a career and up until now he's served us really well.  In a balanced and well oiled side he could probably get away with it for a bit.  But a player who has lost his legs in a disjointed side, no chance.  
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 14
Bigdog
October 2, 2018, 1:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162

I agree, but the sad fact is that they are doing the best their bodies can and taking their final wage packet off GTFC before they hang their boots up..

Welsh would have been enough for us this season, but to not get rid of Dixon, non-trier, no bottle Hooper and sign up Woolford and Collins who were poor last season was criminal. Said so in the summer. I've never known a club sign so many knackered slow carthorses in such a short space of time and then the manager has them as first names on the teamsheet.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 14
pen penfras
October 2, 2018, 5:05pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from grimsby pete

I've been wondering the same thing. The last 2 seasons, we conceded lots of free kicks and were awful at defending set pieces after Jolley arrived. I wonder if he's told them not to give away cheap free kicks and the result is the backing off we're seeing. I don't remember Collins backing off like this last season, but I do seem to think he was one of the main culprits for giving away free kicks.

As big a problem is the amount of times we have an unmarked man in the box scoring from 3 yards out. I'd have thought Collins should be good at organising the defence, but for the last 2 seasons this has happened on a far too regular basis. This coupled with Mckeown's inability to command the box has hurt us badly because we let in almost 100% of these type of chances. Somehow Nick Clark seemed to get scapegoated into all the blame last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 14
pen penfras
October 2, 2018, 5:11pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Bigdog

I agree, but the sad fact is that they are doing the best their bodies can and taking their final wage packet off GTFC before they hang their boots up..

Welsh would have been enough for us this season, but to not get rid of Dixon, non-trier, no bottle Hooper and sign up Woolford and Collins who were poor last season was criminal. Said so in the summer. I've never known a club sign so many knackered slow carthorses in such a short space of time and then the manager has them as first names on the teamsheet.

I don't get the almost universal hatred of Woolford on here. At the times when we've played well this season, Woolford was the driving force behind the attacking play and seemed to be involved in almost everything good we did. He also works hard, does his share for the team and is decent defensively despite his lack of pace.

Look at Saturday, Hendrie was bombing on but we weren't being exposed down that side because Woolford filled in and protected us. It was only when Hendrie went to the other side that nobody was back to cover the overlap and we got caught out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 14
arryarryarry
October 2, 2018, 6:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,945
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from pen penfras

I don't get the almost universal hatred of Woolford on here. At the times when we've played well this season, Woolford was the driving force behind the attacking play and seemed to be involved in almost everything good we did. He also works hard, does his share for the team and is decent defensively despite his lack of pace.

Look at Saturday, Hendrie was bombing on but we weren't being exposed down that side because Woolford filled in and protected us. It was only when Hendrie went to the other side that nobody was back to cover the overlap and we got caught out.

I must be watching a different Woolford to you as the one I've seen gives the ball away in important areas, lacks any real pace and is weak in the tackle and often shits out of them.

He was bloody awful last season and it still amazes me that we re-signed him.

Having said that he will probably score the winner tonight.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 14
KingstonMariner
October 2, 2018, 8:47pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I did say, 'hypothetically'. I've no idea if there is a senior player rebellion.

I remember it was the same rumour when Bignot was in charge. I didn't like the idea then.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 14
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A Question about the Senior Players

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.