2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Poojah
September 29, 2018, 9:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,490
It struck me earlier that we’ve consistently been so much poorer in the second half than in the first. So I totted up the numbers, and frankly it’s scary - here are the aggregate scores by half:

First half: 5-3
Second half: 1-15

Seriously, we’ve scored one goal in the second half all season (Vernam’s at Macclesfield) and conceded fifteen. All this despite apparently being at least competent in the first half.

How do you begin to explain that?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
RoboCod
September 29, 2018, 9:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Was mentioned on the radio. The goals conceded between 60 and around 65 minutes I think it was, just unreal.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
mariner83
September 29, 2018, 9:51pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
[url=https://www.soccerstats.com/halftime.asp?league=england4]https://www.soccerstats.com/halftime.asp?league=england4[/url]
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
chaos33
September 29, 2018, 9:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Well, I think there are probably lots of reasons, but fitness is a factor I think.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
HertsGTFC
September 29, 2018, 10:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Simple! They are not fit enough, fatigue creeps in and errors on the ball or in concentration happen.  

Look what happens when a player makes a break or we where going long into Thomas, nobody within 20 metres of them far too often.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
ivanosandwich
September 29, 2018, 10:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,467
Gold Stars: 15
Jolley has regularly spoken of "high energy".

Maybe the players put that much into the first half, they are knackered in the second.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
promotion plaice
September 29, 2018, 10:08pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,954
Gold Stars: 189

Maybe...... when we are running around trying to get the ball like headless chickens against teams that are better than us..... it tires us out more and we are no less fitter than our opposition in reality.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
HertsGTFC
September 29, 2018, 10:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ivanosandwich
Jolley has regularly spoken of "high energy".

Maybe the players put that much into the first half, they are knackered in the second.

Are they meant to press or pass? today they did neither, at the moment I sense that they don't know their @bottom holes for their ear holes

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
Cloudy
September 29, 2018, 10:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Simple! They are not fit enough, fatigue creeps in and errors on the ball or in concentration happen.  

Look what happens when a player makes a break or we where going long into Thomas, nobody within 20 metres of them far too often.

In that case is the fitness coach any good? Are there two of them? Greg Howard and the other guy Forrest (?)
Shouldn’t they have to answer to someone if the players aren’t fit enough?
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
HertsGTFC
September 29, 2018, 10:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

In that case is the fitness coach any good? Are there two of them? Greg Howard and the other guy Forrest (?)
Shouldn’t they have to answer to someone if the players aren’t fit enough?

Don't disagree, on RH tonight MJ said they "took the players away to take them out of their comfort zone" in the same week the longest serving player intimated in the GET that they are not working enough on the training ground.

Check out our warm ups they where more demanding when we where non league.

Too much playing with their heads rather than their feet and I don't mean head tennis after training.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
arryarryarry
September 30, 2018, 5:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,940
Gold Stars: 113
Not that impressed with the first half performance and thought we were lucky to go 1-0 up.

However I do think that opposition managers soon suss out the way we play and change things around and look the better side even frigging Morecambe.

Having said all that I think that most of the players and Jolley are not up to the task anyway.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 11
Mrs Doyle
September 30, 2018, 6:31am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Second half it is very noticeable how players like Collins and Woolford, in particular, are struggling they are both at the end of their careers so it is hardly surprising.

Indeed a lot of our goals conceded start from us losing the ball in good positions and it's the fast away counter we get done for pace and energy.

I still hate the fact we leave nobody up at corners against us. It might be the modern way but we just don't have the pace to break out from the defence like a lot of teams do that play that system.

That is where your Akeem Rose and Max Wrights would cause chaos given the chance.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Second halves

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.