The Players

This thread currently has 3,277 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Gtfc8279
September 29, 2018, 6:44pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +23
Should be sacked, not Jolley. They take their wages home every week and then serve up the shite they’ve given us for 8/9 games.

Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
September 29, 2018, 6:49pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from Gtfc8279
Should be sacked, not Jolley. They take their wages home every week and then serve up the shite they’ve given us for 8/9 games.

Aren't most of the players Jolley signed or chose to keep ?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 28
MuddyWaters
September 29, 2018, 6:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from promotion plaice

Aren't most of the players Jolley signed or chose to keep ?

Exactly - he signed them, he picks them.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 28
HackneyHaddock
September 29, 2018, 7:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
I wonder if any of them have any idea of the anguish they cause the fans week-in week-out?

Can't they look at the stands and see that they're getting turned over at home by teams bringing 70, 80 100 fans here when they get consistently backed by 500-1000 when they play away?  Doesn't that shame them just a little bit?

I recall a few seasons ago, Luton were on a dreadful run and their manager got a supporter to come (either onto the pitch or into the dressing room) to give a team talk, and tell the players what they mean to the fans.  

I look at a video today of an opposing player being allowed to run, unmolested from his own half to score and not one player even tried to tackle him.  Not "their bloke did well to ride some challenges and got a lucky break", but didn't even have to face a tackle.  Our players are on a winless run and should be defending a lead as if their lives depended on it.  Oates should have been cleaned up Benjamin Massing-style and been picking Lower Youngs red seat plastic out of his teeth.  

I'm at a loss as to what happens from here.  Does it take MJ to get a supporter in to go over this with the players and deliver some Poojah-style rant at them?  To call out individuals like Danny Collins and ask them what they hell they're doing?  Is MJ too nice and intelligent for them?  Because he's a bit younger and not played professionally do they think they get a free pass?  Because I'm damned sure Danny Collins wouldn't have dared defend like that if he was still playing for Big Sam or Roy Keane.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 28
Bigdog
September 29, 2018, 7:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
The players look devoid of confidence and belief and I'm now pretty sure that it's down to the manager. We've got better players than second bottom of League Two. With the players we had available today he could have played the following team in a formation that he set out to play this season..

McKeown

Davis
Whitmore
Hendrie

RHJ
Rose
Embleton
Hessenthaler
Pringle

Vernam
Thomas

No Collins, no Woolford, no Welsh and players playing in familiar positions. This side is quicker and much more dynamic than the one we had today. If I'm scratching my head and being very doubtful before a game starts, trust me the players will have the same feelings. Any wonder they look lost and unconfident when they can't trust their boss, their manager, to pick the best side and formation available game after game, defeat after defeat? Collins and Woolford picked after their raft of poor performances and Welsh playing in a two with a back injury? Jolley is having a laugh and probably too much in awe of our older (very) senior pros.

Jolley is far more culpable than the players, another manager would get more out of them..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 28
chaos33
September 29, 2018, 7:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Agreed, but by and large this is not a squad that is good enough in general IMO. Three or four maybe, but the rest look way below par, and, IMO, unforgivably unfit!

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 28
Rick12
September 29, 2018, 7:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from HackneyHaddock

Is MJ too nice and intelligent for them?  Because he's a bit younger and not played professionally do they think they get a free pass?  Because I'm damned sure Danny Collins wouldn't have dared defend like that if he was still playing for Big Sam or Roy Keane.
Good point

Look at Zidane when he was manager at Real Madrid.Read in the media that players looked up to him in awe which helped garner him respect at Madrid whilst manager.Gave the job up though on his own accord due to the pressure to succeed week on week at the club.Gives you some idea though of the pressure players and managers are under at top and bottom level alike

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 28
Abdul19
September 29, 2018, 7:49pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
A depressing evening made better by the mention of Benjamin Massing. Nice one HH  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 28
Yoda
September 29, 2018, 8:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,121
Gold Stars: 71
The players are a disgrace to the club and the fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 28
dapperz fun pub
September 29, 2018, 8:43pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Seems like a couple of senior players are causing problems and not Jolley signings by all accounts , having too much say on things
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 28
MuddyWaters
September 29, 2018, 8:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Yoda
The players are a disgrace to the club and the fans.

Unacceptable. The players, the management & the board. All the fuckinglot.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 28
ginnywings
September 29, 2018, 8:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Seems like a couple of senior players are causing problems and not Jolley signings by all accounts , having too much say on things

Make them train with the youth team then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 28
Maringer
September 29, 2018, 8:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,399
Gold Stars: 184
What surprises me is the way in which highly experienced senior players who have, by all accounts, performed well throughout their careers at a higher level, seem to lose all composure and just end up making so many poor decisions throughout the games. Not talking about anyone in particular but you'd think the decision-making is the one thing that such experienced pros would keep, even if they are a bit slower than they once were. The accuracy of passing tends to go out the window as well. Pretty much every time we sign an older player who we are assured will be a great signing by fans of their old clubs, they tend to struggle in the basic areas. Doesn't matter which manager we have, it's been the same for as long as I can remember.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 28
MuddyWaters
September 29, 2018, 8:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Names would make this more credible.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 28
Gaffer58
September 29, 2018, 8:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 31
The players are professional and supposedly good at their job, if I employ a professional plumber,electrician and joiner I would expect a proficient job, if some of our players were plumbers, electricians etc I think it wouldn't be long before my house fell, burnt down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 28
Northbank Mariner
September 29, 2018, 8:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Maringer
What surprises me is the way in which highly experienced senior players who have, by all accounts, performed well throughout their careers at a higher level, seem to lose all composure and just end up making so many poor decisions throughout the games. Not talking about anyone in particular but you'd think the decision-making is the one thing that such experienced pros would keep, even if they are a bit slower than they once were. The accuracy of passing tends to go out the window as well. Pretty much every time we sign an older player who we are assured will be a great signing by fans of their old clubs, they tend to struggle in the basic areas. Doesn't matter which manager we have, it's been the same for as long as I can remember.

Simply put, they are under immense pressure and panic..I'm sure jolley sold them a great line about being involved in something big, challenging and rewarding being at GTFC but as far as I can gather he could sell ice to eskimo but can't organize an orgy in a brothel... .there are some decent players in this squad but when you are playing the likes of Collins, Woolford, an unfit Welsh, we have no chance...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 28
jamesgtfc
September 29, 2018, 8:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190

Someone posted about "the enemy within" last week and everyone assumed it meant Limbrick. There were strong rumours that a gang of senior pro's went crying to the board about Bignot and got him the sack. 2 of those players remain and are an ever present when fit thus far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 28
ginnywings
September 29, 2018, 9:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Maringer

We were saying the same today (the two of us from our group that are left attending that is). They are making a hash of passes that i would have been embarrassed to fudge as an amateur player. There are numerous underhit, overhit, misplaced and skewed passes happening all the time, not to mention frequently making the wrong pass when there's a more obvious one on. Mishit shots, poor headers, poor control, i could go on.

Players come here with good reputations and just flounder, then leave us and go on to perform to a better standard elsewhere. Matt scored 2 goals today for Newport as they came from 2 down to win 4-2. You could never see him doing that while he was here. Something is rotten at this club and it's got to be off the pitch. There is no other explanation for year on year failure to even compete at this basic level. Every manager and every player can't be as bad as they are showing us season after season.

I admit the fans don't help either, not that i am blaming the fans at all. We are just so used to failure that we accept it as the norm, and the place has become like a morgue. Somewhere footballers go to die.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 28
LH
September 29, 2018, 9:04pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,462
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Someone posted about "the enemy within" last week and everyone assumed it meant Limbrick. There were strong rumours that a gang of senior pro's went crying to the board about Bignot and got him the sack. 2 of those players remain and are an ever present when fit thus far.

Why does he keep picking them then?
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 28
Les Brechin
September 29, 2018, 9:07pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
The body language of the players today after they scored their 2nd was awful. There was no way we were ever coming back from that, the way they were all walking around dejected like that.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 28
dapperz fun pub
September 29, 2018, 9:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from LH

Why does he keep picking them then?

Is the question ..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 28
MuddyWaters
September 29, 2018, 9:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Is the question ..

Well name names then? I'm assuming Collins & who?
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 28
dapperz fun pub
September 29, 2018, 9:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I don’t know names but have strong suspicions whose being disruptive and limbrick isn’t one of them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 28
grimsby pete
September 29, 2018, 9:14pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
6 defeats  on the trot with only one gaol scored is bad enough.

How long can we put up with this ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 28
moosey_club
September 29, 2018, 9:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,199
Gold Stars: 224
i dont see the players not trying, or not giving a t0ss at all.

I see players with battered confidence.

I see players who have not built up any partnerships in key areas. (hardly suprising when they dont play more than a couple of games in the same line up)

I see a real lack of cohesion.

and today i saw a manager who doesnt know how to use his players and who appears to have lost confidence in himself.

Today was almost a carbon copy of the FGR game, lucky to get a half time lead but MJ didnt learn from a poor first half. Sent out the same team, same formation, same tempo for the second half...watched on as we continued to flounder and then reacted with subs when they had turned the game on its head.
MJ was quite quick to make changes to the system in his first few games here....he has started to hesitate and doubt himself i think...the constant tinkering of the starting 11 and today a 4-4-2 ....the most basic of formations....last week a very definate attempt to play for a point.

When the manager loses confidence the players arent going to get any help.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 28
marinerdazza
September 29, 2018, 9:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,781
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
I wonder if any of them have any idea of the anguish they cause the fans week-in week-out?

Can't they look at the stands and see that they're getting turned over at home by teams bringing 70, 80 100 fans here when they get consistently backed by 500-1000 when they play away?  Doesn't that shame them just a little bit?

I recall a few seasons ago, Luton were on a dreadful run and their manager got a supporter to come (either onto the pitch or into the dressing room) to give a team talk, and tell the players what they mean to the fans.  

I look at a video today of an opposing player being allowed to run, unmolested from his own half to score and not one player even tried to tackle him.  Not "their bloke did well to ride some challenges and got a lucky break", but didn't even have to face a tackle.  Our players are on a winless run and should be defending a lead as if their lives depended on it.  Oates should have been cleaned up Benjamin Massing-style and been picking Lower Youngs red seat plastic out of his teeth.  

I'm at a loss as to what happens from here.  Does it take MJ to get a supporter in to go over this with the players and deliver some Poojah-style rant at them?  To call out individuals like Danny Collins and ask them what they hell they're doing?  Is MJ too nice and intelligent for them?  Because he's a bit younger and not played professionally do they think they get a free pass?  Because I'm damned sure Danny Collins wouldn't have dared defend like that if he was still playing for Big Sam or Roy Keane.

This. All of it. Agree completely.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 28
marinerdazza
September 29, 2018, 9:31pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,781
Gold Stars: 81

Hmmm. Read similar.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 28
HertsGTFC
September 29, 2018, 9:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
It starts with the warm up for me the complete lack of any intensity, variation or imagination and the players just going through the motions and taking that into the game. Out of the 4 managers we've had since the return to the EFL only under Hurst & Bignot did the players look happy, smiling in good humour and ready to go to work whilst warming up - That sits with the leadership amongst the staff and senior pros to get people going.

Similar to the Slade era after Notts County A things have gone South quickly since MK Dons but worryingly with a handful of points on the board, what could it be?

- Read Macca's interview with GET from last week again he intimated they need to be working harder in training, instead MJ took the players away this week to "take them out of their comfort zone"???    

- Picking players out of position, some can adapt some can't, some shut up and get on with it some shrink, some go through the motions. Many quite resent it.

- Leaving good players on the bench and starting ones who don't deserve the shirt. Big Mistake! That usually leads to doubting the manager "who has never played the game"....

- Swopping and changing every week, squads need to settle.

-  Getting what in [professional terms are average players working to a system and not a system that works to the players.

- Allowing players to walk back in and not earn a return.

- Over complicating things

All of the above is about man management, yes today the players where a disgrace IMHO and should be embarrassed that they didn't stand up and be counted when it mattered. Usually though if you keep it simple, train them hard and explain what you want they'll be competitive something today that we never where.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 28
HertsGTFC
September 29, 2018, 9:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Bigdog
The players look devoid of confidence and belief and I'm now pretty sure that it's down to the manager. We've got better players than second bottom of League Two. With the players we had available today he could have played the following team in a formation that he set out to play this season..

McKeown

Davis
Whitmore
Hendrie

RHJ
Rose
Embleton
Hessenthaler
Pringle

Vernam
Thomas

No Collins, no Woolford, no Welsh and players playing in familiar positions. This side is quicker and much more dynamic than the one we had today. If I'm scratching my head and being very doubtful before a game starts, trust me the players will have the same feelings. Any wonder they look lost and unconfident when they can't trust their boss, their manager, to pick the best side and formation available game after game, defeat after defeat? Collins and Woolford picked after their raft of poor performances and Welsh playing in a two with a back injury? Jolley is having a laugh and probably too much in awe of our older (very) senior pros.

Jolley is far more culpable than the players, another manager would get more out of them..

Bang on for me.......... feels like what MJ and his team haven't quite fathomed is that they are not dealing with programmed and compliant U23's or semi pros who have grown up to be told what to do and work within the culture & system that is imposed on them. In fact the majority of the squad are capable pro's who have been around the block a little or a lot and have therefore formed their own experience, opinions, views and have already done their apprenticeships,    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 28
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Players

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.