KingstonMariner
September 27, 2018, 10:22pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from AndyDarloFC

Does our 4 league demotion count? That was grim, going from playing the likes of Wrexham away to bloody Whitley Bay.

If you're allowing that then Wimbledon went down 7 divisions from the 2nd tier (what is now the Championship) to the Combined Counties League.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
Helgy
September 28, 2018, 11:19am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +118
It’s a terrible position to be in remember our 1st game  2,200 with about 80 away fans we lost so much support around 2,000 deserted.
It really hit home then how much of a struggle it would be 5 years in fact.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
jamesgtfc
September 28, 2018, 12:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,940
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Helgy
It’s a terrible position to be in remember our 1st game  2,200 with about 80 away fans we lost so much support around 2,000 deserted.
It really hit home then how much of a struggle it would be 5 years in fact.

Out of interest Helgy when was the last time your support was anywhere near the current level? I have memories of you not selling out your home end for a lot of the Lincolnshire derbies.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
Garth
September 28, 2018, 12:43pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Out of interest Helgy when was the last time your support was anywhere near the current level? I have memories of you not selling out your home end for a lot of the Lincolnshire derbies.

Matters not a jot, their crowds are larger than ours, league positions say their team and manager are more successful than ours, we are poles apart atm, they are going North whilst we are sailing South UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
MuddyWaters
September 28, 2018, 12:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I don't care how many fans Lincoln have - more bothered about the 21 place difference in the table.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
Helgy
September 28, 2018, 12:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +118
Graham Taylor era I think was the last time we had those crowds.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
HertsGTFC
September 28, 2018, 1:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,871
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Garth

Matters not a jot, their crowds are larger than ours, league positions say their team and manager are more successful than ours, we are poles apart atm, they are going North whilst we are sailing South UTM

Their finances are larger than ours as well, don’t lose sight of that, people say you can’t buy success but it definitely helps if you’ve got money.......... as well as ambition.

We appar to have neither at the moment!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
FishOutOfWater
September 28, 2018, 1:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Helgy
Graham Taylor era I think was the last time we had those crowds.

I remember early 80s when GT was in charge and I hoped that Lincoln might get promoted up to the second tier and play us... there would have been some good attendances then I'm sure

Never happened of course and I doubt we will ever get to meet each other at such a high position in the pyramid
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 33
HertsGTFC
September 28, 2018, 4:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,871
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I remember early 80s when GT was in charge and I hoped that Lincoln might get promoted up to the second tier and play us... there would have been some good attendances then I'm sure

Never happened of course and I doubt we will ever get to meet each other at such a high position in the pyramid

Taylor left Lincoln around 76/77ish when we where in the bottom tier.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 28, 2018, 5:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,623
Gold Stars: 65
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Taylor left Lincoln around 76/77ish when we where in the bottom tier.

It was first time Murphy was in charge and I believe ten of that Lincoln team went on to play in the top division for other clubs. Their reserves at that time was also brimming with players who went on to have excellent careers not least our beloved Diddy Gilbert but also Stuart Naylor, Phil Turner (also played for us) Gary Strodder and Wayne Biggins & probably other’s who I have forgotten.

This was the era when their then Chairman, Gilbert Blades, held players meeting & announced they could not afford to get promoted, crazy but definitely happened as I know at least 3 players who were at the meeting.

Recall all this as I was personal friends with Dave Carr, who sadly died of cancer in his forties, so much so he took me to the 1981 PFA dinner, great name for a normal bloke culminating in late drinking session in Tara Hotel Kensington with Joe Waters and Dean Crombie, I knew Dean from his days playing local football for Ruston Bucyrus. Oh to be young again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chesterfield

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.