6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
September 23, 2018, 3:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
For all the things we can blame john fenty for appointing michael jolley is not one of them.

We were desperate for a likeable current modern manager and ones the fans can relate to , i think we got half the package but it looks like the most important half was lacking.

I was all for jolley and am not afraid to put my hands up and say i was desperate for him to do well but we might have just got a man who no matter how hard he tries he maybe out of his depth in management, michael jolley is likeable and approachable but that isnt what will get us up the table unfortunately.

So IF things dont work out please lets not pin this one on john fenty.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
September 23, 2018, 3:08pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

Not defending Jolleys poor start but what sort of a player budget did he get because we seem to have signed the players that couldn't find a club yet again.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 53
MuddyWaters
September 23, 2018, 3:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from jonnyboy82
For all the things we can blame john fenty for appointing michael jolley is not one of them.

We were desperate for a likeable current modern manager and ones the fans can relate to , i think we got half the package but it looks like the most important half was lacking.

I was all for jolley and am not afraid to put my hands up and say i was desperate for him to do well but we might have just got a man who no matter how hard he tries he maybe out of his depth in management, michael jolley is likeable and approachable but that isnt what will get us up the table unfortunately.

I think we all wanted MJ to do well and many of us still do. Let's not forget however that it's common knowledge that at least two turned the job down.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 53
lew chaterleys lover
September 23, 2018, 4:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,657
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Of course its Fenty's fault.

He has the club in a vice like grip and it exactly mirrors the top man in the organisation.

Why do you think every manager fails here? We cannot attract the players we want because we have no inward investment for players - either fees nor wages. No doubt Jolley spent the budget he had the best he could, but the players he really wants will demand a premium which we are unable to pay.

It goes much deeper than the budget of course; we are a club in near terminal decline who cannot attract their first choice managers or players. We sit 3rd bottom of the lowest league division after years of pathetic failure.

The club is backward looking, stale and word must have got round that working for this board is not the brightest thing to have on your cv.

Jolley was desperate to get into football management and like most of us  I thought he would do the business, as yet he still might, but I think he was banking on his ability to overcome the long standing faults of the way the club has been run for many years (the Fenty years) but like everyone before him is finding it a big challenge.

The club is in need of a re boot, at the very top. That is the thing that will give us the fresh start, fresh ideas and fresh impetus; we may well change the manager again after next week, but again he will be the 4th or 5th choice. There is no desire from the current board to make an offer to a wanted manager he cannot refuse. It will be a fudge; it will be somebody who wants the job but not necessarily who we want. And so it goes on - manager after manager with one hand tied behind his back disguised as a "competitive budget" - and even that the fans pay for!

It is beyond belief that after years of failure the board has allowed us once again to be in trouble; they hoped  the personable Michael Jolley would save them and pull a footballing fortune rabbit out of the hat, which I hope he does, but the club is under a great big black cloud. The club is miles behind our neighbours, our competitors and clubs with half our attendances - and that is just in league 2. League 2. We cannot even make a fist of it in League 2.

No discernible progress has been made in any area whatsoever, on or off the pitch, in the old stadium or the proposed new one; 6 years in non league, and the rest of the time a struggle in the league, the cups and yet the board stagger on in the delusional belief that with just a modicum of football fortune "there is no reason why we cannot aim to be in the Championship in 5 years." How out of touch can you be??

I came to the conclusion long ago that the club will never move forward till the current board call it a day. At what point does the major shareholder say this is not working, and his stranglehold, both in terms of finance and his overbearing influence on how the club operates,is harming it?  

I may as well save this post and re post it in 5 years time as I doubt anything will have changed, apart from another 6 or 7 managers names.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 53
sydney
September 23, 2018, 4:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
it’s a mess (again)
We are in trouble and it’s v depressing.
Can anyone see any light at the end of the tunnel?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 53
MuddyWaters
September 23, 2018, 4:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Of course its Fenty's fault.

He has the club in a vice like grip and it exactly mirrors the top man in the organisation.

Why do you think every manager fails here? We cannot attract the players we want because we have no inward investment for players - either fees nor wages. No doubt Jolley spent the budget he had the best he could, but the players he really wants will demand a premium which we are unable to pay.

It goes much deeper than the budget of course; we are a club in near terminal decline who cannot attract their first choice managers or players. We sit 3rd bottom of the lowest league division after years of pathetic failure.

The club is backward looking, stale and word must have got round that working for this board is not the brightest thing to have on your cv.

Jolley was desperate to get into football management and like most of us  I thought he would do the business, as yet he still might, but I think he was banking on his ability to overcome the long standing faults of the way the club has been run for many years (the Fenty years) but like everyone before him is finding it a big challenge.

The club is in need of a re boot, at the very top. That is the thing that will give us the fresh start, fresh ideas and fresh impetus; we may well change the manager again after next week, but again he will be the 4th or 5th choice. There is no desire from the current board to make an offer to a wanted manager he cannot refuse. It will be a fudge; it will be somebody who wants the job but not necessarily who we want. And so it goes on - manager after manager with one hand tied behind his back disguised as a "competitive budget" - and even that the fans pay for!

It is beyond belief that after years of failure the board has allowed us once again to be in trouble; they hoped  the personable Michael Jolley would save them and pull a footballing fortune rabbit out of the hat, which I hope he does, but the club is under a great big black cloud. The club is miles behind our neighbours, our competitors and clubs with half our attendances - and that is just in league 2. League 2. We cannot even make a fist of it in League 2.

No discernible progress has been made in any area whatsoever, on or off the pitch, in the old stadium or the proposed new one; 6 years in non league, and the rest of the time a struggle in the league, the cups and yet the board stagger on in the delusional belief that with just a modicum of football fortune "there is no reason why we cannot aim to be in the Championship in 5 years." How out of touch can you be??

I came to the conclusion long ago that the club will never move forward till the current board call it a day. At what point does the major shareholder say this is not working, and his stranglehold, both in terms of finance and his overbearing influence on how the club operates,is harming it?  

I may as well save this post and re post it in 5 years time as I doubt anything will have changed, apart from another 6 or 7 managers names.

Ditto from me.

There is one very good reason why we won't be in the Championship in 5 years and it's the very same reason why we haven't been in the Championship since he took over.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 53
TAGG
September 23, 2018, 6:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,960
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from jonnyboy82

[/b]So IF things dont work out please lets not pin this one on john fenty.[b]

FFS
He's to blame for everything that is and has been wrong with our club over the last 15 years or so.
If we are relegated this season our Club dies and he will be culpable.
He is the worst thing to happen to our club in its 140 year history 😤😤😤😤

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 53
Grim74
September 23, 2018, 7:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Every manager the board have selected has been a welcome appointment by fans by and large, yes even Slade.

Each of these manager came into the position knowing full well what the budget was and Jolley is no different. His target this season was to keep us competitive but ultimately to keep us in the league, I even said at the start that I would of been happy with a low to mid table position.

So how the intercourse can it be Fentys fault that we’re already looking relegation certainties? I’m sure he has no input in team selection, history tells us that the board back the manager and do not interfere with transfers, I’ve even heard Jolley say as much where he will target a player and then ask the board to try and do the deal.

I’m sure Fenty can be criticised for many, many things but blaming him for a mangers poor performance (a manager we all wanted) is just ridiculous give your head a good wobble.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 53
friskneymariner
September 23, 2018, 8:00pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Totally pointless to sack him now,when Swedish season ends in November he may have contacts there,if not improved by Christmas sack him them and give new manager backing when transfer window opens.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 53
Swansea_Mariner
September 23, 2018, 8:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,431
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from Grim74
Every manager the board have selected has been a welcome appointment by fans by and large, yes even Slade.

Each of these manager came into the position knowing full well what the budget was and Jolley is no different. His target this season was to keep us competitive but ultimately to keep us in the league, I even said at the start that I would of been happy with a low to mid table position.

So how the intercourse can it be Fentys fault that we’re already looking relegation certainties? I’m sure he has no input in team selection, history tells us that the board back the manager and do not interfere with transfers, I’ve even heard Jolley say as much where he will target a player and then ask the board to try and do the deal.

I’m sure Fenty can be criticised for many, many things but blaming him for a mangers poor performance (a manager we all wanted) is just ridiculous give your head a good wobble.

I'm incredulous, why you ask, because he sets the budget and it's obviously not competitive. Rinse and repeat, all these managers can't all be hopeless, hmm what else could it possibly be, the budget? And before someone says it's easy to spend someone elses money well it's his job to find and attract new investment into the club, which he hasn't.

He bangs on about being a custodian but what the hell is left after the last 16 years it's devalued to the point that there is virtually nothing left.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 53
diehardmariner
September 23, 2018, 8:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,426
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Perhaps if Jolley didn't have to spend so much time and energy trying to undo 15 years of appalling PR he could focus more on the playing side stuff...

Just a thought.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 53
lew chaterleys lover
September 23, 2018, 8:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

I'm incredulous, why you ask, because he sets the budget and it's obviously not competitive. Rinse and repeat, all these managers can't all be hopeless, hmm what else could it possibly be, the budget? And before someone says it's easy to spend someone elses money well it's his job to find and attract new investment into the club, which he hasn't.

He bangs on about being a custodian but what the hell is left after the last 16 years it's devalued to the point that there is virtually nothing left.  

I cannot understand how people can still defend Fenty!

How much evidence do they need? Not only do we need a very competitive budget for players, we have to pay a premium to get them to come to a club on its uppers, and a premium way above that if we want a player that is sought after - especially a striker.

The fans pay for what budget there is - where is Mr. Fenty's input? Where are the new directors who will inject new finance into the club? Of course there are none - I wonder why that is?

And whilst we are at it - where is the budget for improvements to BP? When I say improvements I mean a lick of paint here and there, a sound system we can hear, repairs to ends of the Upper Smiths etc.?

It is beyond a bloody joke that someone can allow the club to fall into such disrepair on and off the field, so consistently for so long, with not even a hint of improvement in any area whatsoever. Had he set out to fail he couldn't have done a better job. Then he has the gall to insult all and sundry at the fans forum and make us a laughing stock to football fans up and down the land.

When is it going to end?? When will he do something that improves the club, anything at all?

What is his end game? What does he want to achieve?

If he is not wealthy enough to put any investment in any area of the club, when the rest of the leagues are pulling away from us more and more with each passing season, then why isn't he standing aside and see what develops?
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 53
Grim74
September 23, 2018, 9:09pm
Cocktail Drinker

Can you remind me just how the budget compares to the other 23 teams in the league?

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 53
Swansea_Mariner
September 23, 2018, 9:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Grim74

Can you remind me just how the budget compares to the other 23 teams in the league?

Come on nobody can quote the actual figures. The conclusion you reach is what, we've been consistently unlucky?

Out of the last 10 seasons as a league club we've finished once in the top half of the table, the next best finish was 14th! Does that suggest to you a competitive budget?

We're not just poor, we have been consistently one of the worst league teams in the country.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 53
MuddyWaters
September 23, 2018, 9:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Come on nobody can quote the actual figures. The conclusion you reach is what, we've been consistently unlucky?

Out of the last 10 seasons as a league club we've finished once in the top half of the table, the next best finish was 14th! Does that suggest to you a competitive budget?

We're not just poor, we have been consistently one of the worst league teams in the country.

If we were one of the worst supported, I could accept us having a low-end budget - but we're not.

On many, many occasions in the last few years I've come home from a game thinking how stupid I must have been to continue to financially support a regime so synonymous with consistent failure. How much longer Mr Fenty?
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 53
Cloudy
September 23, 2018, 9:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
The whole club has been in need of a reboot for years.

New board, with fresh ideas, new positive staff and above all active engagement with the fans and wider community.

Although our budget is one of the lowest in the league it could be more competitive without getting in to debt,

A new broom has been needed for years and changing the manager at GTFC is proven not to work. Back the young highly qualified and respected coach
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 53
grimsby pete
September 23, 2018, 10:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
If Jolley has got the same budget that Slade had then he must  have plenty of cash left for the next transfer window,

Because we are about 15 players down from last season.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 53
Grim74
September 23, 2018, 10:02pm
Cocktail Drinker

You can question the budget all you like but I think you are wrong to suggest it’s not a competitive one without an shred of facts. But here’s a fact we will always struggle to attract the cream of the lower league players simply because of our location.

Take Bury for example I would hope we are competing or even beating them budget wise but many players would choose them over us even if it meant less in wages because of the location. I’d bet a lot of their players were born up that way or have strong family connections, but how many of our players have local connections, is it  1?

This is the main reason we struggle and have always struggled and it will continue to be the case until the next gem of a manager comes along one like the great sir Alan one who could work absolute miracles but unfortunately they are about once in a generation. The only other attraction would be to have a stadiums we can fill and fit for the 21st century but that’s not happening anytime soon.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 53
arryarryarry
September 23, 2018, 10:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Grim74

You can question the budget all you like but I think you are wrong to suggest it’s not a competitive one without an shred of facts. But here’s a fact we will always struggle to attract the cream of the lower league players simply because of our location.

Take Bury for example I would hope we are competing or even beating them budget wise but many players would choose them over us even if it meant less in wages because of the location. I’d bet a lot of their players were born up that way or have strong family connections, but how many of our players have local connections, is it  1?

This is the main reason we struggle and have always struggled and it will continue to be the case until the next gem of a manager comes along one like the great sir Alan one who could work absolute miracles but unfortunately they are about once in a generation. The only other attraction would be to have a stadiums we can fill and fit for the 21st century but that’s not happening anytime soon.

If our budget is as competitive as many other clubs, how come Scunthorpe have outperformed us for many seasons now as they are only 20 odd miles down the road and having been there many times there are plenty of places in the town that are shitholes?
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 53
lew chaterleys lover
September 23, 2018, 10:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

If our budget is as competitive as many other clubs, how come Scunthorpe have outperformed us for many seasons now as they are only 20 odd miles down the road and having been there many times there are plenty of places in the town that are shitholes?

Some on here seem to think we are between 500 and 1000 miles from civilisation. It amazes me how we have managed to field a full 1st eleven for 140 years.

The better players aren't coming because we don't pay enough, and the small fact that we have been s**t for longer than most players have been playing the game, who are not one bit impressed by our Championship years in the 80/90's.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 53
Swansea_Mariner
September 23, 2018, 10:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Grim74

That works both ways there's not a shred of evidence to lead to the conclusion that we have a competitive budget either.  Yes location comes in to it but your example of players choosing Bury would suggest the budget is not competitive, nobody said this was a level playing field. Competitive can require a premium, innovative terms and conditions or employees benefits.

For every Bury in a central location there is a Newport. Yes Newport another team who we consistently don't compete with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 53
MuddyWaters
September 23, 2018, 10:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Let's be right.

We have a custodian who thinks it was wrong to bulldoze 4 tower blocks that were way out of date, would rather build a stadium on a greenfield site rather than re-generate the East Marsh and believes Operation Promotion was the worst thing that's happened to the club.

Add to that flasks, flags, Newell, 'benign' debts, Radio Humberside, the fans forum, interview from the snooker room & it's fairly obvious where the roots of our problems lie.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 53
jamesgtfc
September 23, 2018, 10:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190

Some on here seem to think we are between 500 and 1000 miles from civilisation. It amazes me how we have managed to field a full 1st eleven for 140 years.

The better players aren't coming because we don't pay enough, and the small fact that we have been s**t for longer than most players have been playing the game, who are not one bit impressed by our Championship years in the 80/90's.

Our location is against us which is why it is more important to invest in the facilities we have to offer. That said, I think Amond commuted from Manchester on a daily basis and there has often been a "car school" on the M62. We are only 90 minutes away from cities such as Hull, Leeds, Lincoln, Nottingham and Sheffield.

I'm 29 next month and fortunate enough to remember some great games in the second tier but the only memories of Grimsby Town my brother and sister have are 6 years of non-league and constant relegation battles.

Bignot was a fruitcake but he had the right idea, plucking players out from non-league on their way up and with a point to prove. A shame he went about it like a kid in a candy store but we need to build a squad of young, hungry players looking to move up the pyramid. Scunthorpe have established themselves as a League One club that occasionally flirts with The Championship by doing just that. They had Billy Sharp, we had Scott Vernon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 53
Cloudy
September 24, 2018, 6:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Our location is against us which is why it is more important to invest in the facilities we have to offer. That said, I think Amond commuted from Manchester on a daily basis and there has often been a "car school" on the M62. We are only 90 minutes away from cities such as Hull, Leeds, Lincoln, Nottingham and Sheffield.

I'm 29 next month and fortunate enough to remember some great games in the second tier but the only memories of Grimsby Town my brother and sister have are 6 years of non-league and constant relegation battles.

Bignot was a fruitcake but he had the right idea, plucking players out from non-league on their way up and with a point to prove. A shame he went about it like a kid in a candy store but we need to build a squad of young, hungry players looking to move up the pyramid. Scunthorpe have established themselves as a League One club that occasionally flirts with The Championship by doing just that. They had Billy Sharp, we had Scott Vernon.

Although I fully agree about signing non league players on the up, Bignot did that because Fenty allowed him to spend the Bogle money on some half decent players who sadly, turned bout to not really want to be here. Osbourne was/is a competent player but we paid more for him that ideal on both fees and wages and then he decided cGrimsby was too far away from Solihull ( it hadn’t moved!).
Geography is an issue but not an insurmountable one and certainly not one that should be used to brow beat the fans periodically. The blame on everything to do with GTFC lies in one mans hands, as it would in any business, the man at the top.
He may be able to control the temperature in McMenemys from his home but this is just an example of his total strangulation of the club, nobody can do anything without his prior agreement. Micro managing, and suffocating costsmay have worked in a growing fish business but maybe it worked making Betamax videos. Sadly it doesn’t work today
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 53
Grim74
September 24, 2018, 7:16am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Scunny are bankrolled by a multi millionaire they are usually operate at a loss of more than 3. Million a year. Soon as the money dries up they will be back down to there natural position.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 53
Grim74
September 24, 2018, 7:18am
Cocktail Drinker

That works both ways there's not a shred of evidence to lead to the conclusion that we have a competitive budget either.  Yes location comes in to it but your example of players choosing Bury would suggest the budget is not competitive, nobody said this was a level playing field. Competitive can require a premium, innovative terms and conditions or employees benefits.

For every Bury in a central location there is a Newport. Yes Newport another team who we consistently don't compete with.

Ah the mighty Newport who’s highest ever position in the history of the game is 3rd in the old 3rd division. It’s no surprise they spend the majority of there time in the basement league.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 53
Cloudy
September 24, 2018, 7:21am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Grim74

Ah the mighty Newport who’s highest ever position in the history of the game is 3rd in the old 3rd division. It’s no surprise they spend the majority of there time in the basement league.

Yep, the mighty Newport who have relatively little historical achievement yet still have out performed GTFC for several seasons!
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 53
Ipswin
September 24, 2018, 8:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Let's be right.

We have a custodian who thinks it was wrong to bulldoze 4 tower blocks that were way out of date, would rather build a stadium on a greenfield site rather than re-generate the East Marsh and believes Operation Promotion was the worst thing that's happened to the club.

Add to that flasks, flags, Newell, 'benign' debts, Radio Humberside, the fans forum, interview from the snooker room & it's fairly obvious where the roots of our problems lie.

You might have to add Jolley to that list yet

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 53
diehardmariner
September 24, 2018, 9:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,426
Gold Stars: 532
Budget wise it never fails to amaze me that we can't compete, or at least don't seem to be able to compete. I'm not privvy to the budget details but it doesn't take a genius to work out that we're shopping at the bargain basement end of the scale. Take Welsh out the equation (who I believe was keen to move over here for family reasons and as good as he is, wouldn't have had loads of suitors due to a lack of games in recent seasons) and who would actually command a big wage or see us face competition to sign?

Without doubt, Blundell Park is a huge drain resources simply because it must cost a small fortune to maintain on a daily basis.  It's a wreck and is causing us to throw money down the proverbial drain just to keep it in a state where we can host games.  There have been countless variations of people running NELC in the last 15 years, yet one constant in GTFC.  Amazing how all those countless variations failed to sort an agreement with one individual, isn't it?  The blame for us still residing at Blundell Park resides at the feet of one individual.  

Our core fan base should be large enough for us to still have a budget that would make us competitive in the top half.  The problem is that we waste money and more importantly fail to capitalise on the opportunities presented to us as a club.

It's not difficult really.  You want more money to spend on the playing budget so you go out and you generate more income.  Ticketing wise - what did the club do to draw extra fans in over the summer?  There was an almighty feel-good factor surrounding the club after surviving the drop, what did the club do to tap into that?  Nowt.  What does the commercial department do generate extra income other than the odd guest speaker who is usually someone just doing the circuit anyway?  Nowt.  How long and painstaking was it get something so simple agreed for the shift-season ticket deal?  That was almost 3 years in the making.  3 years for a bloody coupon system!!  In any other business that would have been up and running within hours.

As a club we're run in a urine poor manner.  It's no wonder we're treading water in every possible way.  Fenty and his mob don't have a clue how to run the football club.  I don't want any of the directors to put their hands in their pockets, I want them to run the club in a manner that generates enough income to give the manager a competitive budget - you do that by making the club marketable.  The sheer arrogance of the current attitude is summed up when Fenty declares that 'we do our PR on the pitch'.   Yes, yes we do John.  That's why we've achieved sod all under your stewardship and whilst other clubs are going forward we're going backwards.

This isn't about IF things don't turn out.  Things AREN'T turning out.  They haven't turned out for the last 15 years.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 53
Grim74
September 24, 2018, 9:27am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

Yep, the mighty Newport who have relatively little historical achievement yet still have out performed GTFC for several seasons!

At least Bother to get your facts right before posting in the past 7 seasons we have only been in the league 2 times and 2016-17 we finished above them!!
From 2013 - 2016 we wasn’t even in the same league so you can’t compare performance.
2011 - 2013 we were both non league and we finished above them in the 2011-2011 season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 53
MuddyWaters
September 24, 2018, 9:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Grim74

At least Bother to get your facts right before posting in the past 7 seasons we have only been in the league 2 times and 2016-17 we finished above them!!
From 2013 - 2016 we wasn’t even in the same league so you can’t compare performance.
2011 - 2013 we were both non league and we finished above them in the 2011-2011 season.

I suggest you have a look at the League table this morning. Newport are a fans-run club with a board of 10 elected directors - we are run by the majority shareholder and a few hangers-on.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 53
Cloudy
September 24, 2018, 9:38am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Grim74

Are you for real?

By your own stats the mighty Newport have finished ahead of us in the standings for 5 out of 7 seasons which is EXACTLY my point.

I love the fact you quote that "From 2013 - 2016 we wasn’t even in the same league so you can’t compare performance". Of course you can, they were in the league above us!
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 53
Grim74
September 24, 2018, 10:00am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

Are you for real?

By your own stats the mighty Newport have finished ahead of us in the standings for 5 out of 7 seasons which is EXACTLY my point.

“ out performed GTFC for several seasons” that was you quote right?
Look you’ve already lost the argument just give up.🙄

Quoted Text
love the fact you quote that "From 2013 - 2016 we wasn’t even in the same league so you can’t compare performance". Of course you can, they were in the league above us!

By your reckoning then last season Sunderland our performed Wigan WTF! I think you need to understand the word performed.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 53
Swansea_Mariner
September 24, 2018, 11:04am
Whiskey Drinker
Grim74 you have some fuzzy logic going on here, how on earth can you argue that a club in a higher league was not out performing us? This would be the same Newport who kicked our bottom in the playoffs too?

There are loads of other examples of location not being a problem, Carlisle and  Exeter seem to out perform us year in year out. And if location was the primary determinant in attracting quality players how come Barnet and Orient went down surely they benefit from the same location benefits of a club such as Bury.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 53
Grim74
September 24, 2018, 12:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Grim74 you have some fuzzy logic going on here, how on earth can you argue that a club in a higher league was not out performing us? This would be the same Newport who kicked our bottom in the playoffs too?

There are loads of other examples of location not being a problem, Carlisle and  Exeter seem to out perform us year in year out. And if location was the primary determinant in attracting quality players how come Barnet and Orient went down surely they benefit from the same location benefits of a club such as Bury.

Did Wigan outperform Sunderland last season? I bet if you asked the Sunderland fans the answer would be a resounding yes.

You can’t compare different leagues when measuring our performance, I get what you are saying but our performance is based fundamentally on the direct competition which is currently 23 other league 2 teams.

I can just imagine the Wigan fans “yeah we are champions we’ve won the league” hold hold on you’re still shite as you were outperformed by 44 other teams go whip yourself.

Carlisle and Exeter are basement clubs and always will be. yes Carlisle did reach the top with a that GEM of a manager which was in the great Bill Shankley’s words “the greatest ever football achievement” because he understood.

As for Barnet basically a pub team and Leyton Orient well for them to be in the non league has everything to do with poor management from top to bottom.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 53
Cloudy
September 24, 2018, 3:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
So grim74, let us get back to what was originally posed;  you are claiming that Newport being say, 16th in League 2 is not a better perfomrance than Grimsby town being say 5th in the Conference?
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 53
grimsby pete
September 24, 2018, 4:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Let's be right.

I am sure I helped build 6 tower blocks.

I did not contribute much though, I did enjoy doing the snagging once the people moved in.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 53
Grim74
September 24, 2018, 5:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy
So grim74, let us get back to what was originally posed;  you are claiming that Newport being say, 16th in League 2 is not a better perfomrance than Grimsby town being say 5th in the Conference?

No this was before that - “ out performed GTFC for several seasons”

Total bollox just admit it and you are now scraping the barrel to mask your bullshit lazy post that I shot done in flames.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 53
toontown
September 24, 2018, 10:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Sorry ģrim not looking for an argument but very clearly those teams who were in the league above us who were not relegated were doing better than us.
Claiming that you have shot down his argument in flames - hmmmm.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 53
Grim74
September 25, 2018, 8:09am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from toontown
Sorry ģrim not looking for an argument but very clearly those teams who were in the league above us who were not relegated were doing better than us.
Claiming that you have shot down his argument in flames - hmmmm.

My shot down in flames claim was regarding cloudy’s false claim which was factually incorrect.i’m no the argumentive type and was just correcting him. It then got a bit silly thinking about it now if I’m honest. But instead of just saying ok I was wrong he decided to go on the attack and  nit-pick my reply.

Looking  at this objectively I can see that regarding ‘performance’ we are both correct, it’s just that we’ve defined performance in a different way so I can’t be fairer than that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 53
Cloudy
September 25, 2018, 8:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Grim74

My shot down in flames claim was regarding cloudy’s false claim which was factually incorrect.i’m no the argumentive type and was just correcting him. It then got a bit silly thinking about it now if I’m honest. But instead of just saying ok I was wrong he decided to go on the attack and  nit-pick my reply.

Looking  at this objectively I can see that regarding ‘performance’ we are both correct, it’s just that we’ve defined performance in a different way so I can’t be fairer than that.

You are not right in the head pal.

The end
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 53
golfer
September 25, 2018, 8:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
Too much self opinionation on the Fishy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 53
barralad
September 25, 2018, 8:58am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Christ..do we need a win

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 53
Grim74
September 25, 2018, 9:39am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

You are not right in the head pal.

The end

The end the end the end the end the end the end says the petulant kid.

You don’t tell me when to end a conversation that you butted into Pal. And don’t say something that you wouldn’t say to my face.

Again the following statement is false just  to try and show the club in a bad way  -

Yep, the mighty Newport who have relatively little historical achievement yet still have out performed GTFC for several seasons

Now why don’t you pull him up on this?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 53
Grim74
September 25, 2018, 9:43am
Cocktail Drinker
Apologies for last message just realised it was Cloudy the clown!  hey Cloudy get your Facts right son.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 53
Grim74
September 25, 2018, 9:44am
Cocktail Drinker
Apologies for last message just realised it was Cloudy the clown!  hey Cloudy get your Facts right son.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 53
golfer
September 25, 2018, 9:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
we heard u the first time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 53
Swansea_Mariner
September 30, 2018, 1:02am
Whiskey Drinker
What I want to know Grim74 is why do we CONSISTENTLY underperform nomater  who the manager or who the players are? I'd like to hear you speculate, I've taken a guess what's your guess?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 53
MuddyWaters
September 30, 2018, 8:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
What I want to know Grim74 is why do we CONSISTENTLY underperform nomater  who the manager or who the players are? I'd like to hear you speculate, I've taken a guess what's your guess?

For what it's worth, it'll be the fans fault. It always is.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 53
olimariner
September 30, 2018, 9:41am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +12
I ageee that it’s a budget related problem, it’s no coincidence that Lincoln’s budget is in top 3 in this league and look where they are. Every manager struggles due to this fact that the club is run on a shoestring, we can only expect a struggle year in year out. I personally are fed up of it and after 41 years of attending matches just don’t want to turn up each week knowing what a load of dross and an expected defeat.
I like many really want Jolley to succeed but you can’t polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 53
headingly_mariner
September 30, 2018, 10:18am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Let’s have it right, Jolley was at least 4th choice.
Fenty kept slade all the way through January without spending any money and we saw some of our better players leave. He then sacked Slade and couldn’t get anyone in.

Michael Jolley was one of few limited options and that was because of the crazy position the club was in. I feel sorry for Jolley as he was never gonna get the top job at another FL club and it’s now extremely unlikely he’ll get another one.

This board are a weight around the club’s neck and they are totally to blame. Name one thing they’ve done to take the club forward. We will lose another manager, but the next one will still have a bottom end budget and have to work with a calamitous board of directors.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 53
KingstonMariner
September 30, 2018, 10:30am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
The only thing that has made me smile about GTFC this weekend is Grim74's wild 'logic'.  Priceless!  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 53
KingstonMariner
September 30, 2018, 10:30am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Fenty kept slade all the way through January without spending any money and we saw some of our better players leave. He then sacked Slade and couldn’t get anyone in.

Michael Jolley was one of few limited options and that was because of the crazy position the club was in. I feel sorry for Jolley as he was never gonna get the top job at another FL club and it’s now extremely unlikely he’ll get another one.

This board are a weight around the club’s neck and they are totally to blame. Name one thing they’ve done to take the club forward. We will lose another manager, but the next one will still have a bottom end budget and have to work with a calamitous board of directors.

Bang on.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 53
Marinerz93
September 30, 2018, 12:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Quoted from headingly_mariner

This board are a lead weight around the club’s neck and they are totally to blame. Name one thing they’ve done to take the club forward. We will lose another manager, but the next one will still have a bottom end budget and have to work with a calamitous board of directors.

Spot on, but corrected for you  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 53
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › IF things dont turn out

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.