diehardmariner
September 23, 2018, 8:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,535
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from jonnyboy82
For all the things we can blame john fenty for appointing michael jolley is not one of them.

We were desperate for a likeable current modern manager and ones the fans can relate to , i think we got half the package but it looks like the most important half was lacking.

I was all for jolley and am not afraid to put my hands up and say i was desperate for him to do well but we might have just got a man who no matter how hard he tries he maybe out of his depth in management, michael jolley is likeable and approachable but that isnt what will get us up the table unfortunately.

So IF things dont work out please lets not pin this one on john fenty.

Perhaps if Jolley didn't have to spend so much time and energy trying to undo 15 years of appalling PR he could focus more on the playing side stuff...

Just a thought.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 53
lew chaterleys lover
September 23, 2018, 8:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,714
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

I'm incredulous, why you ask, because he sets the budget and it's obviously not competitive. Rinse and repeat, all these managers can't all be hopeless, hmm what else could it possibly be, the budget? And before someone says it's easy to spend someone elses money well it's his job to find and attract new investment into the club, which he hasn't.

He bangs on about being a custodian but what the hell is left after the last 16 years it's devalued to the point that there is virtually nothing left.  

I cannot understand how people can still defend Fenty!

How much evidence do they need? Not only do we need a very competitive budget for players, we have to pay a premium to get them to come to a club on its uppers, and a premium way above that if we want a player that is sought after - especially a striker.

The fans pay for what budget there is - where is Mr. Fenty's input? Where are the new directors who will inject new finance into the club? Of course there are none - I wonder why that is?

And whilst we are at it - where is the budget for improvements to BP? When I say improvements I mean a lick of paint here and there, a sound system we can hear, repairs to ends of the Upper Smiths etc.?

It is beyond a bloody joke that someone can allow the club to fall into such disrepair on and off the field, so consistently for so long, with not even a hint of improvement in any area whatsoever. Had he set out to fail he couldn't have done a better job. Then he has the gall to insult all and sundry at the fans forum and make us a laughing stock to football fans up and down the land.

When is it going to end?? When will he do something that improves the club, anything at all?

What is his end game? What does he want to achieve?

If he is not wealthy enough to put any investment in any area of the club, when the rest of the leagues are pulling away from us more and more with each passing season, then why isn't he standing aside and see what develops?
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 53
Grim74
September 23, 2018, 9:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1

I'm incredulous, why you ask, because he sets the budget and it's obviously not competitive. Rinse and repeat, all these managers can't all be hopeless, hmm what else could it possibly be, the budget? And before someone says it's easy to spend someone elses money well it's his job to find and attract new investment into the club, which he hasn't.

He bangs on about being a custodian but what the hell is left after the last 16 years it's devalued to the point that there is virtually nothing left.  

Can you remind me just how the budget compares to the other 23 teams in the league?

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 53
Swansea_Mariner
September 23, 2018, 9:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from Grim74

Can you remind me just how the budget compares to the other 23 teams in the league?

Come on nobody can quote the actual figures. The conclusion you reach is what, we've been consistently unlucky?

Out of the last 10 seasons as a league club we've finished once in the top half of the table, the next best finish was 14th! Does that suggest to you a competitive budget?

We're not just poor, we have been consistently one of the worst league teams in the country.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 53
MuddyWaters
September 23, 2018, 9:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235

Come on nobody can quote the actual figures. The conclusion you reach is what, we've been consistently unlucky?

Out of the last 10 seasons as a league club we've finished once in the top half of the table, the next best finish was 14th! Does that suggest to you a competitive budget?

We're not just poor, we have been consistently one of the worst league teams in the country.

If we were one of the worst supported, I could accept us having a low-end budget - but we're not.

On many, many occasions in the last few years I've come home from a game thinking how stupid I must have been to continue to financially support a regime so synonymous with consistent failure. How much longer Mr Fenty?
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 53
Cloudy
September 23, 2018, 9:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
The whole club has been in need of a reboot for years.

New board, with fresh ideas, new positive staff and above all active engagement with the fans and wider community.

Although our budget is one of the lowest in the league it could be more competitive without getting in to debt,

A new broom has been needed for years and changing the manager at GTFC is proven not to work. Back the young highly qualified and respected coach
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 53
grimsby pete
September 23, 2018, 10:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
If Jolley has got the same budget that Slade had then he must  have plenty of cash left for the next transfer window,

Because we are about 15 players down from last season.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 53
Grim74
September 23, 2018, 10:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1

You can question the budget all you like but I think you are wrong to suggest it’s not a competitive one without an shred of facts. But here’s a fact we will always struggle to attract the cream of the lower league players simply because of our location.

Take Bury for example I would hope we are competing or even beating them budget wise but many players would choose them over us even if it meant less in wages because of the location. I’d bet a lot of their players were born up that way or have strong family connections, but how many of our players have local connections, is it  1?

This is the main reason we struggle and have always struggled and it will continue to be the case until the next gem of a manager comes along one like the great sir Alan one who could work absolute miracles but unfortunately they are about once in a generation. The only other attraction would be to have a stadiums we can fill and fit for the 21st century but that’s not happening anytime soon.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 53
arryarryarry
September 23, 2018, 10:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Grim74

You can question the budget all you like but I think you are wrong to suggest it’s not a competitive one without an shred of facts. But here’s a fact we will always struggle to attract the cream of the lower league players simply because of our location.

Take Bury for example I would hope we are competing or even beating them budget wise but many players would choose them over us even if it meant less in wages because of the location. I’d bet a lot of their players were born up that way or have strong family connections, but how many of our players have local connections, is it  1?

This is the main reason we struggle and have always struggled and it will continue to be the case until the next gem of a manager comes along one like the great sir Alan one who could work absolute miracles but unfortunately they are about once in a generation. The only other attraction would be to have a stadiums we can fill and fit for the 21st century but that’s not happening anytime soon.

If our budget is as competitive as many other clubs, how come Scunthorpe have outperformed us for many seasons now as they are only 20 odd miles down the road and having been there many times there are plenty of places in the town that are shitholes?
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 53
lew chaterleys lover
September 23, 2018, 10:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,714
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from arryarryarry

If our budget is as competitive as many other clubs, how come Scunthorpe have outperformed us for many seasons now as they are only 20 odd miles down the road and having been there many times there are plenty of places in the town that are shitholes?

Some on here seem to think we are between 500 and 1000 miles from civilisation. It amazes me how we have managed to field a full 1st eleven for 140 years.

The better players aren't coming because we don't pay enough, and the small fact that we have been s**t for longer than most players have been playing the game, who are not one bit impressed by our Championship years in the 80/90's.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › IF things dont turn out

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.