6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
September 23, 2018, 3:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
For all the things we can blame john fenty for appointing michael jolley is not one of them.

We were desperate for a likeable current modern manager and ones the fans can relate to , i think we got half the package but it looks like the most important half was lacking.

I was all for jolley and am not afraid to put my hands up and say i was desperate for him to do well but we might have just got a man who no matter how hard he tries he maybe out of his depth in management, michael jolley is likeable and approachable but that isnt what will get us up the table unfortunately.

So IF things dont work out please lets not pin this one on john fenty.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
September 23, 2018, 3:08pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

Not defending Jolleys poor start but what sort of a player budget did he get because we seem to have signed the players that couldn't find a club yet again.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 53
MuddyWaters
September 23, 2018, 3:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from jonnyboy82
For all the things we can blame john fenty for appointing michael jolley is not one of them.

We were desperate for a likeable current modern manager and ones the fans can relate to , i think we got half the package but it looks like the most important half was lacking.

I was all for jolley and am not afraid to put my hands up and say i was desperate for him to do well but we might have just got a man who no matter how hard he tries he maybe out of his depth in management, michael jolley is likeable and approachable but that isnt what will get us up the table unfortunately.

I think we all wanted MJ to do well and many of us still do. Let's not forget however that it's common knowledge that at least two turned the job down.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 53
lew chaterleys lover
September 23, 2018, 4:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Of course its Fenty's fault.

He has the club in a vice like grip and it exactly mirrors the top man in the organisation.

Why do you think every manager fails here? We cannot attract the players we want because we have no inward investment for players - either fees nor wages. No doubt Jolley spent the budget he had the best he could, but the players he really wants will demand a premium which we are unable to pay.

It goes much deeper than the budget of course; we are a club in near terminal decline who cannot attract their first choice managers or players. We sit 3rd bottom of the lowest league division after years of pathetic failure.

The club is backward looking, stale and word must have got round that working for this board is not the brightest thing to have on your cv.

Jolley was desperate to get into football management and like most of us  I thought he would do the business, as yet he still might, but I think he was banking on his ability to overcome the long standing faults of the way the club has been run for many years (the Fenty years) but like everyone before him is finding it a big challenge.

The club is in need of a re boot, at the very top. That is the thing that will give us the fresh start, fresh ideas and fresh impetus; we may well change the manager again after next week, but again he will be the 4th or 5th choice. There is no desire from the current board to make an offer to a wanted manager he cannot refuse. It will be a fudge; it will be somebody who wants the job but not necessarily who we want. And so it goes on - manager after manager with one hand tied behind his back disguised as a "competitive budget" - and even that the fans pay for!

It is beyond belief that after years of failure the board has allowed us once again to be in trouble; they hoped  the personable Michael Jolley would save them and pull a footballing fortune rabbit out of the hat, which I hope he does, but the club is under a great big black cloud. The club is miles behind our neighbours, our competitors and clubs with half our attendances - and that is just in league 2. League 2. We cannot even make a fist of it in League 2.

No discernible progress has been made in any area whatsoever, on or off the pitch, in the old stadium or the proposed new one; 6 years in non league, and the rest of the time a struggle in the league, the cups and yet the board stagger on in the delusional belief that with just a modicum of football fortune "there is no reason why we cannot aim to be in the Championship in 5 years." How out of touch can you be??

I came to the conclusion long ago that the club will never move forward till the current board call it a day. At what point does the major shareholder say this is not working, and his stranglehold, both in terms of finance and his overbearing influence on how the club operates,is harming it?  

I may as well save this post and re post it in 5 years time as I doubt anything will have changed, apart from another 6 or 7 managers names.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 53
sydney
September 23, 2018, 4:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
it’s a mess (again)
We are in trouble and it’s v depressing.
Can anyone see any light at the end of the tunnel?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 53
MuddyWaters
September 23, 2018, 4:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235

Of course its Fenty's fault.

He has the club in a vice like grip and it exactly mirrors the top man in the organisation.

Why do you think every manager fails here? We cannot attract the players we want because we have no inward investment for players - either fees nor wages. No doubt Jolley spent the budget he had the best he could, but the players he really wants will demand a premium which we are unable to pay.

It goes much deeper than the budget of course; we are a club in near terminal decline who cannot attract their first choice managers or players. We sit 3rd bottom of the lowest league division after years of pathetic failure.

The club is backward looking, stale and word must have got round that working for this board is not the brightest thing to have on your cv.

Jolley was desperate to get into football management and like most of us  I thought he would do the business, as yet he still might, but I think he was banking on his ability to overcome the long standing faults of the way the club has been run for many years (the Fenty years) but like everyone before him is finding it a big challenge.

The club is in need of a re boot, at the very top. That is the thing that will give us the fresh start, fresh ideas and fresh impetus; we may well change the manager again after next week, but again he will be the 4th or 5th choice. There is no desire from the current board to make an offer to a wanted manager he cannot refuse. It will be a fudge; it will be somebody who wants the job but not necessarily who we want. And so it goes on - manager after manager with one hand tied behind his back disguised as a "competitive budget" - and even that the fans pay for!

It is beyond belief that after years of failure the board has allowed us once again to be in trouble; they hoped  the personable Michael Jolley would save them and pull a footballing fortune rabbit out of the hat, which I hope he does, but the club is under a great big black cloud. The club is miles behind our neighbours, our competitors and clubs with half our attendances - and that is just in league 2. League 2. We cannot even make a fist of it in League 2.

No discernible progress has been made in any area whatsoever, on or off the pitch, in the old stadium or the proposed new one; 6 years in non league, and the rest of the time a struggle in the league, the cups and yet the board stagger on in the delusional belief that with just a modicum of football fortune "there is no reason why we cannot aim to be in the Championship in 5 years." How out of touch can you be??

I came to the conclusion long ago that the club will never move forward till the current board call it a day. At what point does the major shareholder say this is not working, and his stranglehold, both in terms of finance and his overbearing influence on how the club operates,is harming it?  

I may as well save this post and re post it in 5 years time as I doubt anything will have changed, apart from another 6 or 7 managers names.

Ditto from me.

There is one very good reason why we won't be in the Championship in 5 years and it's the very same reason why we haven't been in the Championship since he took over.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 53
TAGG
September 23, 2018, 6:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,967
Gold Stars: 123
Quoted from jonnyboy82

[/b]So IF things dont work out please lets not pin this one on john fenty.[b]

FFS
He's to blame for everything that is and has been wrong with our club over the last 15 years or so.
If we are relegated this season our Club dies and he will be culpable.
He is the worst thing to happen to our club in its 140 year history 😤😤😤😤

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 53
Grim74
September 23, 2018, 7:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Every manager the board have selected has been a welcome appointment by fans by and large, yes even Slade.

Each of these manager came into the position knowing full well what the budget was and Jolley is no different. His target this season was to keep us competitive but ultimately to keep us in the league, I even said at the start that I would of been happy with a low to mid table position.

So how the intercourse can it be Fentys fault that we’re already looking relegation certainties? I’m sure he has no input in team selection, history tells us that the board back the manager and do not interfere with transfers, I’ve even heard Jolley say as much where he will target a player and then ask the board to try and do the deal.

I’m sure Fenty can be criticised for many, many things but blaming him for a mangers poor performance (a manager we all wanted) is just ridiculous give your head a good wobble.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 53
friskneymariner
September 23, 2018, 8:00pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Totally pointless to sack him now,when Swedish season ends in November he may have contacts there,if not improved by Christmas sack him them and give new manager backing when transfer window opens.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 53
Swansea_Mariner
September 23, 2018, 8:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,430
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from Grim74
Every manager the board have selected has been a welcome appointment by fans by and large, yes even Slade.

Each of these manager came into the position knowing full well what the budget was and Jolley is no different. His target this season was to keep us competitive but ultimately to keep us in the league, I even said at the start that I would of been happy with a low to mid table position.

So how the intercourse can it be Fentys fault that we’re already looking relegation certainties? I’m sure he has no input in team selection, history tells us that the board back the manager and do not interfere with transfers, I’ve even heard Jolley say as much where he will target a player and then ask the board to try and do the deal.

I’m sure Fenty can be criticised for many, many things but blaming him for a mangers poor performance (a manager we all wanted) is just ridiculous give your head a good wobble.

I'm incredulous, why you ask, because he sets the budget and it's obviously not competitive. Rinse and repeat, all these managers can't all be hopeless, hmm what else could it possibly be, the budget? And before someone says it's easy to spend someone elses money well it's his job to find and attract new investment into the club, which he hasn't.

He bangs on about being a custodian but what the hell is left after the last 16 years it's devalued to the point that there is virtually nothing left.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 53
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › IF things dont turn out

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.