Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Let's face it.....
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 395 Guests

Let's face it.....

This thread currently has 4,926 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
barralad
September 24, 2018, 1:17pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Biccys
My fear is that John doesn't name a price for a takeover, sits in the ivory tower and watches the club fail over and again. Then hold his hands up and claim he did nothing wrong and it's not his fault but all the boards decisions. The actions of a true megalomaniac with a tinge of cowardice, arrogance and narcissism. There'd be no shame from my point of view if he just walked away now. In fact, that would be the most positive thing he could do for the club. The trouble is, and I'm quoting him here, why should he? He sees his loan as a hold on the club that he shouldn't write off. It's his money, not the club's. While technically correct, if as he's said in the past he's written it off in his head already, why not do it on the books as well? Back to the previous statements about his arrogance and narcissism.

And as for the council seemingly offering an olive branch to the club to go for the Freemo option for the new ground, can anyone on here seriously see him taking that option with no chance of him getting his mitts on the housing development opportunity??? Not a prayer. As long as he's on the board, he's an obstacle to this as well. He's got to much self interest in the project to be objective about the future of the club.

Very worried about both the state of things on and off the pitch at the mo.

I'm sorry to keep banging this drum but from a GTFC point of view there are a lot more worrying things than whether JF gets his hands on a housing development opportunity. I'm increasingly unable to see how the development under LA control is going to generate sufficient extra money to make a move from B.P. which for all its faults the club owns viable.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 26
barralad
September 24, 2018, 1:31pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from arryarryarry

I remember you saying exactly the same about Neil Woods constantly and we know where that ended up.

Bang to rights there although there wasn't anything like the consensus amongst the fans then that Woods was a good appointment. You don't have to justify anything to me but I'd really be interested in what your alternative would be. Continuing to back Jolley isn't without its risks but in my view the merry go round has to stop at some point. It might as well be now.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 26
grimsby pete
September 24, 2018, 1:45pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
I said on another thread we should stop talking about sacking the manager again!!!!!

Lets just back him and get to Christmas and see where we are then,

We will still have 20+ games left and a transfer window,

I hope Jolley is here to spend a bit of money to make us a better team,

If we are still rubbish and near the bottom any new manager worth his salt will know what players are available to improve our team,

At the moment Jolley is not getting the best out of our players who are a improvement from last years squad,

So there is no reason why  Jolley can not turn things round or a new man coming in making better use of our squad.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 26
Cloudy
September 24, 2018, 1:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from barralad

I'm sorry to keep banging this drum but from a GTFC point of view there are a lot more worrying things than whether JF gets his hands on a housing development opportunity. I'm increasingly unable to see how the development under LA control is going to generate sufficient extra money to make a move from B.P. which for all its faults the club owns viable.

You assume that the club will not have access to the income generated from the new ground? How do you know this?

Could it not be that for a peppercorn rent the club keep income they can generate from the facility with the council getting pay back from moving their own offices to the site (& selling off all the offices they have dotted around the borough). They (the council) may well take the income from any leisure facilities, retail outlets around the suggested stadium but I cant see the club getting them if they arent funding the build ( which they clearly cannot afford to do)

Also there must be a significant saving on the cost of up keep on BP which we are told costs a fortune.

The fact is we dont know, yet!
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 26
grimsby pete
September 24, 2018, 1:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Cloudy

You assume that the club will not have access to the income generated from the new ground? How do you know this?

Could it not be that for a peppercorn rent the club keep income they can generate from the facility with the council getting pay back from moving their own offices to the site (& selling off all the offices they have dotted around the borough). They (the council) may well take the income from any leisure facilities, retail outlets around the suggested stadium but I cant see the club getting them if they arent funding the build ( which they clearly cannot afford to do)

Also there must be a significant saving on the cost of up keep on BP which we are told costs a fortune.

The fact is we dont know, yet!

I agree and can see the club coming to a good agreement with the council by paying a peppercorn rent and have access to the facilities when the council does not have anything booked for that date,

Its a win win situation with both the club and the council benefitting from this project.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 26
Ipswin
September 24, 2018, 2:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from grimsby pete

I agree and can see the club coming to a good agreement with the council by paying a peppercorn rent and have access to the facilities when the council does not have anything booked for that date,

Its a win win situation with both the club and the council benefitting from this project.

I believe that's how it works for Colchester and they seem to do OK on it.

The facilities for ST holders etc, bar and restaurant are superb.

The ground itself, stands etc are a bit soulless but that's modern cheapo football grounds I suppose. I just hope that when, sorry if, a new ground ever happens for Town that the corners are filled in, that's probably the worst thing at Colchester

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 26
HertsGTFC
September 24, 2018, 2:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Pretty much all of the above describes our situation whatever your view is that’s because we’re in a mess.

Players won’t come to Grimsby for numerous reasons it possibly is all about the money we offer but it might be that we’ve had no stability since Hurst left and based upon last season there was always a chance we’d struggle this term. Yes MJ might have told players he was after “you’ll be part of something if you sign for us” but what exactly?

They may not also sign as the facilities aren’t great even at this level and the only way that will improve is to get a new ground & associated set up, but we have no money and the only way that it can work is by a joint venture enabling scheme. Whether or not the immovable objects who sit at the top table would personally benefit from this move is still not transparent.

Then on to the “immovable objects” they told us that they had interest from the US a while ago but didn’t think it was in th best interests of the club, my challenge is how can they justify that their performance in the last few seasons especially since we came back to the EFL is in the best interests of the club.

Then we talk about new investors coming in. I think we have to be careful with the word “investor” as in essence unless we get a new “development” then there isn’t a great deal to invest in. The catchment might be reasonable but in reality would we attract how support of 10k plus each week? There is a lot to do and much to change before that happens.

If JF really meant that he’d walk away maybe the solution would be to sell some of his equity to half a dozen people who had say 75-100k to put in but would bring all the other things we are lacking at the moment professional expertise & background, ambition, drive, energy, fresh ideas, creativity and a collaborative way of working. Then he moves to non board role and just gives his voting rights to a non exec chairman.

Or alternatively there may be a Town mad Euromillions winner who’ll just come on and throw millions at it .....£120+ million jackpot tomorrow night “it could be you”!!!

In reality folks I think the struggle is far from over!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Let's face it.....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.