Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › “Football is a simple game...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 300 Guests

“Football is a simple game...

This thread currently has 2,590 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
davmariner
September 22, 2018, 9:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,860
Gold Stars: 75
... based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass”, our old manager Bill Shankly once said.

I once sat on a train near a legendary Liverpool forward and manager, who told me that football is a straightforward game that has been over-complicated by suits and iPads. This is something that has stuck with me and that I’m reminded of every time I watch GTFC play and hear Jolley speak.

In spite of the suits, the strength and conditioning coach (and additional coaches that MJ brought in) it hasn’t helped with our injuries (if anything that’s got worse), we still look unfit and we’re still shite.

Jolley needs to ditch the fancy, pretentious tactics, throw Limbrick’s daft ringbinder in the bin and revert to 442. Why not play with wingers who get balls in the box (we barely cross balls under Jolley) and go back to basics. Whether it’s Jolley’s flawed tactics or the players not taking it in, it needs to change.

Would go with:

McKeown

RHJ     Whitmore    Collins    Famewo

Max Wright   Welsh   Hessenthaler  Cook (played left with Luton)

Akheem Rose    Thomas

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
sonofmadeleymariner
September 22, 2018, 10:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
Collins is no longer good enough and is often the cause of many of the goals we concede, either by not marking his man and standing around in space or by just constantly falling back and inviting the pressure and players to rattle off shot after shot, rather then standing up to strikers or driving them wide, its a shame as I liked Collins the last two season but this year apart from the Lincoln game he's played excrement.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
MuddyWaters
September 22, 2018, 10:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from davmariner
... based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass”, our old manager Bill Shankly once said.

I once sat on a train near a legendary Liverpool forward and manager, who told me that football is a straightforward game that has been over-complicated by suits and iPads. This is something that has stuck with me and that I’m reminded of every time I watch GTFC play and hear Jolley speak.

In spite of the suits, the strength and conditioning coach (and additional coaches that MJ brought in) it hasn’t helped with our injuries (if anything that’s got worse), we still look unfit and we’re still shite.

Jolley needs to ditch the fancy, pretentious tactics, throw Limbrick’s daft ringbinder in the bin and revert to 442. Why not play with wingers who get balls in the box (we barely cross balls under Jolley) and go back to basics. Whether it’s Jolley’s flawed tactics or the players not taking it in, it needs to change.

Would go with:

McKeown

Akheem Rose    Thomas

At least MJ will be pleased that you wouldn't pick Vernam either.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
stuart brace was king
September 22, 2018, 10:07pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +145
and Michael Jolley seems to be a really nice bloke...

But it’s its time he grew a pair; kicked the squad, and himself up the @rse and got them to earn their wages.  I’m fed up of watching teams push us and we back pedal; we push and the opposition show some backbone and our attack ends up with a frantic back pass to Macca.
We’re from Grimsby FFS
Let’s perform like a Grimsby team and NOT some Home Counties numpties... who incidentally won today cos we let em

Fed up but...
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
KingstonMariner
September 22, 2018, 11:18pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Strewth. I’m glad I’m not in the trenches with you lot.

Of course it’s a work in progress but no one in their right mind expects Rome to be built in a day.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
grimsby pete
September 22, 2018, 11:22pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
If I was MJ I would pick myself as the main striker seeing as nobody else can do the job,
                                                                                                                         Mike Lyons.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
Croxton
September 22, 2018, 11:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Trenches? Front line is at Boston. Back to Blighty!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
diehardmariner
September 23, 2018, 7:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,091
Gold Stars: 518
Quoted from davmariner

Would go with:

McKeown

Akheem Rose    Thomas

Out of curiosity and without having to name names.  Did said ex-striker have any success in management?

We've had injury issues for donkeys years.  The new approach has been in place for a few months. New coaches and technology don't account for the shoddy training facilities we have at Cheapside.  We're not all of a sudden training at St George's.

If there is a total change in the approach to training, it can easily take 3 months to see a benefit, until such we are going to see injuries as players are adjusting. The Whitehouse injury was unfortunate but my most of the longer injuries are from players who were here last season, perhaps their bodies aren't use to modern demands, i.e not just running round a field with a baseball capped manager blowing his whistle on every lap.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
MuddyWaters
September 23, 2018, 7:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from diehardmariner

Out of curiosity and without having to name names.  Did said ex-striker have any success in management?

We've had injury issues for donkeys years.  The new approach has been in place for a few months. New coaches and technology don't account for the shoddy training facilities we have at Cheapside.  We're not all of a sudden training at St George's.

If there is a total change in the approach to training, it can easily take 3 months to see a benefit, until such we are going to see injuries as players are adjusting. The Whitehouse injury was unfortunate but my most of the longer injuries are from players who were here last season, perhaps their bodies aren't use to modern demands, i.e not just running round a field with a baseball capped manager blowing his whistle on every lap.

Where are we going to be before we see a benefit? Bottom of the league? Relegated? Relegated twice?

As a reminder, this is what the assistant manager said before we got dicked at Bury

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co......e-signs-of-progress/
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
diehardmariner
September 23, 2018, 8:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,091
Gold Stars: 518
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Where are we going to be before we see a benefit? Bottom of the league? Relegated? Relegated twice?

As a reminder, this is what the assistant manager said before we got dicked at Bury

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co......e-signs-of-progress/

It'll take more than 9 games. I thought that much was obvious in the summer.  As I've said before, I'm not happy with how things are on the pitch but we can't keep sacking people because everything doesn't go our way all the time.

Do you want a long term plan (not saying Jolley is the man who can/will deliver that or not) or the same old same old?
I want us to at least attempt something with longer term thinking. For the time, Jolley is the man to lead on that.

Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › “Football is a simple game...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.