Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Morecombe Or Bust.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 128 Guests

Morecombe Or Bust.

This thread currently has 5,334 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Yoda
September 22, 2018, 6:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +4 / -20
Approval: -2,912
Gold Stars: 62
I think MJ should have the Morecombe game if he l does not win that I am afraid he has to go.

I do feel the players should take some responsibility though, they have not covered themselves in glory.

Que the telegraph let’s pack the park, i feel now most Town fans have lost all their fight.

Well done Fenty.!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimsby pete
September 22, 2018, 6:50pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
With Morecambe bring about 28 we could have our lowest gate for years.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
lukeo
September 23, 2018, 7:37am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 133
Can't blame Fenty, regardless of whether Jolley was his 1st or 10th person in line. Majority of fans where happy with him coming in (myself included) I haven't been to any games yet except Lincoln at home (I'm in Somerset) I genuinely feel we're just in a bad patch at the moment and given a few games we will start to turn it around. For me personally unless we are bottom two moving adrift we should give Jolley until Christmas. I am still fairly confident he's the right person
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
diehardmariner
September 23, 2018, 8:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 518
I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree more if I tried.

Regardless of what the result is next Saturday, we should be backing Jolley to a hilt - and actually mean it, not just Fenty's vote of confidence which means you're sacked next week.

We abandon now and then what? Someone's stuck with someone else's players until January and we then offload and bring in some journeymen and we go round and round and round again.

Jolley has done absolutely everything he physically can to get this area to support him and the team.  The last thing he deserves is the fans turning their back on him.

Luck, fortune, dodgy penalties, whatever you want to put it down to. He kept us up last season when we were all but dead and buried.  Had he failed in that, no-one would have blamed him. He deserves more than 2 months of the next season to get it right and kick on.  
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
chicaneuk
September 23, 2018, 8:01am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from lukeo
Can't blame Fenty, regardless of whether Jolley was his 1st or 10th person in line. Majority of fans where happy with him coming in (myself included) I haven't been to any games yet except Lincoln at home (I'm in Somerset) I genuinely feel we're just in a bad patch at the moment and given a few games we will start to turn it around. For me personally unless we are bottom two moving adrift we should give Jolley until Christmas. I am still fairly confident he's the right person

Agree. Don’t think changing the manager now is a good idea at all. I still believe in the man despite this terrible run we are in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
chaos33
September 23, 2018, 8:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
I disagree with the notion.
I can't see how it's helpful, and I'm not convinced it would be prudent either.
It will just pile on additional pressure.
We all want to see a win.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
Swansea_Mariner
September 23, 2018, 8:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
I think we need to give it more time, November at least, as long as we are outside the bottom 2.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
marinerdazza
September 23, 2018, 9:08am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80

Not entirely sure it’ll make the slightest difference whether there’s 60 or 6000 on Saturday. The place is a morgue at the best of times. This is not a criticism, just an observation.

Usually quite optimistic, Christ knows you have to be to buy a season ticket after the past 15 years, but I have a very bad feeling about next Saturday.

Goes without saying I hope they turn a corner and Jolley gets things back on track, but I just can’t see it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
Zmariner
September 23, 2018, 10:09am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,067
Gold Stars: 43
For my part even as a season ticket holder I am so disinterested now  I just caught the score yesterday and read comments about the game.
I would give MJ only to the end of Oct with no wins but he is now under huge pressure
1. I think the team does try hard
2. I do not recall seeing a town team with no wingers, the balance is awful proven by chances and goalls, this team creates nothing
3. The game against Lincoln was an exception , this was the one off. That day we were at 90% , that was not our par performance
4. DC should not currently be in the first 11 , decentt cover though
5. MJ recruitment looks poor, Hess has some potential, the rest have been 6/10
6. MJ pays great respect to the opposition but we have a faceless team that works in an over engineered way , never seen a town team with less spark. We are dull beyond belief
7. Fitness is questionable as we donot finish well

So for me MJ did a great job last season but the form now is a disgrace, he has to be bold next week and we must play very well and draw or win. Less and I have lost faith. Will not follow town into non league again and many are like me. It will be over and out. There is no fun in this hobby of 40 years and so like a lot of the guys who have sat near me I will cut it and do something that gives a little pleasure utm
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
toontown
September 23, 2018, 11:33am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
I agree with the people who are pointing out our lack of balance, the omission of recruiting any wide players is really haunting us. Embmleton looked very poor last week for me so would need to improve a lot to help us. Those saying 442 i think are wrong. We just don't have the players for it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
Mariner16
September 23, 2018, 11:37am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +478
Gold Stars: 4
The word bust should not be mentioned this early in the season with 35 + games to go. Its simple.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
wiggers
September 23, 2018, 12:42pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +460
Gold Stars: 11
I don’t know what to think anymore, my early season optimism has all but gone. In my opinion we have better players than last season but it’s just not working. Why can’t we just stick with a formation and play people in their right positions. We just need to go back to basics and keep it simple. It’s LG2 football FFS, not Championship manager or FIFA19.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
grimsby pete
September 23, 2018, 1:22pm

Exile
Looking at things in a longer term we have 17 league games up to and including 1st Jan,

That will be 26 games played and a fairer assessment of how we are doing and Jolley's ability to change things,

If we are still in the bottom 4 then that will be the time for action,

If we have improved then give him the chance to spend a bit of money on quality signings

God knows what it will cost us if we get relegated so it will be money well spent.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
MuddyWaters
September 23, 2018, 1:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from grimsby pete
Looking at things in a longer term we have 17 league games up to and including 1st Jan,

That will be 26 games played and a fairer assessment of how we are doing and Jolley's ability to change things,

If we have improved then give him the chance to spend a bit of money on quality signings

God knows what it will cost us if we get relegated so it will be money well spent.

Not really bothered if God knows as long as the board know.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
HertsGTFC
September 23, 2018, 1:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,630
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from grimsby pete

Considering the amount of 2 year plus deals and that a fair few would have bigger budgets than us and are further along with their building process relegation would put the club’s future as we know it in doubt.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
promotion plaice
September 23, 2018, 2:09pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

Something has to change and pretty quick that's for sure....
Oh and also does anyone know how many of us went to Stevenage yesterday so I can give out the prediction thread results (normally on the match report)

I don't do twitter and facebook  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 29
grimsby pete
September 23, 2018, 2:11pm

Exile
Quoted from promotion plaice

Something has to change and pretty quick that's for sure....
Oh and also does anyone know how many of us went to Stevenage yesterday so I can give out the prediction thread results (normally on the match report)

I don't do twitter and facebook  

Not many PP there was only 2332 there in total.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
promotion plaice
September 23, 2018, 2:20pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188
Quoted from grimsby pete

Not many PP there was only 2332 there in total.

When I do give out the results Pete you would have got it right but you changed your prediction  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
geir
September 23, 2018, 2:32pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9
Remember that Jolley comes from a very competitive environment outside of football, the world of finance. I guess no one is more disappointed and angry than Jolley himself at these results. Simply, his character as a human being is someone who likes to win and hates to lose. More so than most. That is why I still believe that things will improve.

Even if the players is his, they don`t have many games together and they are a fairly young team age-wise too. Some injuries on top of that combined with meeting very good teams at the start of the season gives us the present results.
We were just as good as Stevenage yesterday, but were unlucky to let one in behind us.

I still believe we will come good, but there is obviously some problems to sort out - especially regarding our attacking options - we will never score, except on penalties, with Thomas on his own.
The more games  we lose, the players are also affected mentally, and the game against Morecambe is crucial when it comes to getting that nice feeling of winning a game. So Yes, that one will be important, but I don`t want a managerial runaround just yet. We have had too many of those - now we need to support a manager that saved us from certain relegation last season - one that we all have had a lot of belief in and praised Fenty for hiring.

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 29
Yoda
September 23, 2018, 2:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +4 / -20
Approval: -2,912
i fear it could get ugly if we lose to Morecombe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
arryarryarry
September 23, 2018, 3:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from geir
Remember that Jolley comes from a very competitive environment outside of football, the world of finance. I guess no one is more disappointed and angry than Jolley himself at these results. Simply, his character as a human being is someone who likes to win and hates to lose. More so than most. That is why I still believe that things will improve.

Even if the players is his, they don`t have many games together and they are a fairly young team age-wise too. Some injuries on top of that combined with meeting very good teams at the start of the season gives us the present results.
We were just as good as Stevenage yesterday, but were unlucky to let one in behind us.

I still believe we will come good, but there is obviously some problems to sort out - especially regarding our attacking options - we will never score, except on penalties, with Thomas on his own.
The more games  we lose, the players are also affected mentally, and the game against Morecambe is crucial when it comes to getting that nice feeling of winning a game. So Yes, that one will be important, but I don`t want a managerial runaround just yet. We have had too many of those - now we need to support a manager that saved us from certain relegation last season - one that we all have had a lot of belief in and praised Fenty for hiring.

Erm, we couldn't even manage a shot on target, I suggest you watch the highlights.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
geir
September 23, 2018, 4:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from arryarryarry

Erm, we couldn't even manage a shot on target, I suggest you watch the highlights.

You are right, but I meant that we were on the level playing-wise.

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
ginnywings
September 23, 2018, 9:30pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
It was our 0-2 home defeat to Morecambe last season that got me thinking we were in deep sh1t. The board should have acted then, but let Slade carry on until the window had shut (while shipping out some of the better players) and it all got very toxic. Let's hope that Saturday brings a more positive result.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
TownSNAFU5
September 23, 2018, 11:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
We will support the team next Sat.  The manager could help his own cause by picking the right players.  No Collins, no Woolford etc.  We need to play with passion, purpose and courage.

We should take the game to Morecambe with attacking football.  Keeping the tactics simple.  2 up front would be a start.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
Garth
September 24, 2018, 5:39am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Not really bothered if God knows as long as the board know.

God is on the board clutching most of the haloes atm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
Hagrid
September 24, 2018, 3:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,987
Gold Stars: 507
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
We will support the team next Sat.  The manager could help his own cause by picking the right players.  No Collins, no Woolford etc.  We need to play with passion, purpose and courage.

We should take the game to Morecambe with attacking football.  Keeping the tactics simple.  2 up front would be a start.

dont get this, been no worse than anyone else, arguably our best player in August, would help if MJ played him on the right where against lincoln he was superb, yet hasnt played there since, one in a long line of odd decisions
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
HertsGTFC
September 24, 2018, 3:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,630
Gold Stars: 217
If we lose on Saturday and the bottom 2 win we’ll be bottom of the league of GD that is not acceptable then it’s Carlisle A, Port Vale H, Mansfield A then 2 home games games versus Exeter & Colchester finishing the month at Crewe. Looking at current form we could go into November still on the canvas.

If that’s the case then a change will need to be made in my opinion.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
Northbank Mariner
September 24, 2018, 4:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from HertsGTFC
If we lose on Saturday and the bottom 2 win we’ll be bottom of the league of GD that is not acceptable then it’s Carlisle A, Port Vale H, Mansfield A then 2 home games games versus Exeter & Colchester finishing the month at Crewe. Looking at current form we could go into November still on the canvas.

If that’s the case then a change will need to be made in my opinion.

To be honest herts, if I don't see a much, much improved performance this weekend , and I'll say this too, at least a couple of goals along with several on/off target attempts  then it's time for MJ to hold up his hands, admit defeat and accept football league management just is not his forte...saddens me to say all this because like the majority I pinned so many hopes on this young, hungry, enthusiastic and extremely well educated/ qualified young man....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
GrimRob
September 24, 2018, 4:49pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings
It was our 0-2 home defeat to Morecambe last season that got me thinking we were in deep sh1t. The board should have acted then, but let Slade carry on until the window had shut (while shipping out some of the better players) and it all got very toxic. Let's hope that Saturday brings a more positive result.

The thing is we looked safe at that stage in January as few imagined we would go on the sort of terrible run we did (which was the second worst run in our history - https://thefishy.co.uk/topresults.php)

This season is a different kettle of fish as we have barely any points on the board and we started our bad run when we basically had no points. There's no way that the manager in this situation is going to be allowed to go 20 games without a win, as we'd be marooned at the bottom if that were allowed to happen.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 29
grimsby pete
September 24, 2018, 4:57pm

Exile
Quoted from GrimRob

The thing is we looked safe at that stage in January as few imagined we would go on the sort of terrible run we did (which was the second worst run in our history - https://thefishy.co.uk/topresults.php)

This season is a different kettle of fish as we have barely any points on the board and we started our bad run when we basically had no points. There's no way that the manager in this situation is going to be allowed to go 20 games without a win, as we'd be marooned at the bottom if that were allowed to happen.

I do not think we will go anywhere near 20 games without a win Rob,

BUT

We might win one and lose a few win one and lose a few more.

Our only hope is Jolley turns things round otherwise there is another new man coming in who might not do any better

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Morecombe Or Bust.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.