Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jolley post match.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 201 Guests

Jolley post match.

This thread currently has 6,923 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
September 22, 2018, 10:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Im having a birthday party on tuesday michael , fancy one of your drop in's ? If so please feel free .

I have a few very reasonable questions i want to put your way.

Sausages on the menu?
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 43
grimsby pete
September 22, 2018, 11:09pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
I think Jolley is like a school teacher trying to educate a D class into being an A class

It will not work Michael forget your fancy formations and tactics,

You have to come down to their level.

If you don't you will be out of work before they are.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 43
Maringer
September 22, 2018, 11:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from chaos33

Yeah, and I'm 'acutely aware' of just how desperate that sounds. Three more substandard, cheap players to come back to cement our bottom three status.

Harsh on Fox and probably Cardwell too.

Fox played well for us after joining last season and doesn't deserve to be denigrated. Cardwell gave his all in that late run of games as well, though whether that will be good enough in the future remains to be seen. Dixon isn't very good, however, despite the surprising pedigree from earlier in his career.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 43
Croxton
September 22, 2018, 11:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Match after match the selections baffle us and the players seem not to be playing to a plan. Will miss the Morecambe game while in France but I expect repercussions if we fail again. Vernam must start!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 43
grimsby pete
September 22, 2018, 11:26pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
We have never been told what Cardwell did in pre training,

Was he building up his strength and dropped a heavy weight on his foot ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 43
chaos33
September 22, 2018, 11:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
Quoted from Maringer

Harsh on Fox and probably Cardwell too.

Fox played well for us after joining last season and doesn't deserve to be denigrated. Cardwell gave his all in that late run of games as well, though whether that will be good enough in the future remains to be seen. Dixon isn't very good, however, despite the surprising pedigree from earlier in his career.

Come on. Fox is decent at best, and Cardwell is relatively unknown having achieved nothing of note in his career as yet. Dixon is poor. In context, the return of these players does not inspire confidence. Watch the highlights from all L2 matches and see what quality other teams have. These three epitomise the general calibre of player that we have. Bang average at absolute best.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 43
devs
September 23, 2018, 12:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30
Like many have agree with... Chaos 33 sums up my feelings 100%
Even Hurst's teams - ultimately successful - were never exciting and never set the pulse racing but it was (by and large) a winning set up; if your team's style is basically functional with the odd moment of incisiveness(needed to score a goal!) then it has to be a winning team... otherwise the product is laid bare for what it is - unexciting, no thrills, just never ending mediocrity.

I do still believe in MJ - I want him to succeed - I'm sick of merry-go-round manager attitude (six games and your'e out).
I accept he's young and raw - had very few games as a manager - had injury and suspension frustrations (not least Whitehouse who I think he regarded as one of his major signings for the style he wants to play) etc etc but having seen his selections it leaves the team unbalanced, lopsided, with square pegs in round holes, and about 5/6 players in positions they are not used to

Hence you have several things happen - here are three IMO

1) Midfield players get balls in attacking third - stop, go sideways or backwards - it is not in their instinct to drive on (Stevenage players were superb at that I thought)

2) No natural widemen - you end up with players like Hess and Clifton picking balls up out wide and because they are not natural wingers they very rarely whip the ball in... first instinct is to stop, turn around and pass backwards...hence all momentum is lost

3) When we did whip it in yesterday (Thomas mainly - who I thought played very well considering he was lone striker) we twice had only ONE of five midfielders in the box. No natural instinct IMO to drive on and get into the box

So.... again this is my opinion and people might disagree - when everyone (or almost everyone) is available he MUST pick players who are used to their positions...this will mean hard and tough choices

RHJ or Hendrie at right back
Fox or Dixon at left back (neither are the best we've ever had but they know the position and give balance as natural left footed players)
The 4 other defenders fight for two places - it's harsh but that's football

I honestly don't see Welsh in a three in midfield - pace is vital in 4 3 3 and he hasn't really got any.
And do you need a holding midfielder in L2 football?
Does he naturally slow everything down?

I know it's possible heresy on here to question Welsh...but I think all things need looking at

4 3 3?

3 5 2?

I honestly feel 4 4 2 is the worst option cos of my points above about natural width

4 3 3
Pringle Hess Embleton
Vernam Thomas Cook

3 5 2
Hendrie/RHJ - Welsh - Hess - Pringle - Fox/Dixon
Thomas Cook/Vernam

Who knows? With the make up of the squad I'm lost as to what the best way forward is

Whatever, we need players to be more attacking, braver and incisive

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 43
MuddyWaters
September 23, 2018, 12:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from devs
Like many have agree with... Chaos 33 sums up my feelings 100%
Even Hurst's teams - ultimately successful - were never exciting and never set the pulse racing but it was (by and large) a winning set up; if your team's style is basically functional with the odd moment of incisiveness(needed to score a goal!) then it has to be a winning team... otherwise the product is laid bare for what it is - unexciting, no thrills, just never ending mediocrity.

I do still believe in MJ - I want him to succeed - I'm sick of merry-go-round manager attitude (six games and your'e out).
I accept he's young and raw - had very few games as a manager - had injury and suspension frustrations (not least Whitehouse who I think he regarded as one of his major signings for the style he wants to play) etc etc but having seen his selections it leaves the team unbalanced, lopsided, with square pegs in round holes, and about 5/6 players in positions they are not used to

Hence you have several things happen - here are three IMO

1) Midfield players get balls in attacking third - stop, go sideways or backwards - it is not in their instinct to drive on (Stevenage players were superb at that I thought)

2) No natural widemen - you end up with players like Hess and Clifton picking balls up out wide and because they are not natural wingers they very rarely whip the ball in... first instinct is to stop, turn around and pass backwards...hence all momentum is lost

3) When we did whip it in yesterday (Thomas mainly - who I thought played very well considering he was lone striker) we twice had only ONE of five midfielders in the box. No natural instinct IMO to drive on and get into the box

So.... again this is my opinion and people might disagree - when everyone (or almost everyone) is available he MUST pick players who are used to their positions...this will mean hard and tough choices

RHJ or Hendrie at right back
Fox or Dixon at left back (neither are the best we've ever had but they know the position and give balance as natural left footed players)
The 4 other defenders fight for two places - it's harsh but that's football

I honestly don't see Welsh in a three in midfield - pace is vital in 4 3 3 and he hasn't really got any.
And do you need a holding midfielder in L2 football?
Does he naturally slow everything down?

I know it's possible heresy on here to question Welsh...but I think all things need looking at

4 3 3?

3 5 2?

I honestly feel 4 4 2 is the worst option cos of my points above about natural width

4 3 3
Pringle Hess Embleton
Vernam Thomas Cook

3 5 2
Hendrie/RHJ - Welsh - Hess - Pringle - Fox/Dixon
Thomas Cook/Vernam

Who knows? With the make up of the squad I'm lost as to what the best way forward is

Whatever, we need players to be more attacking, braver and incisive

Is it the consequence of having a smaller squad? Have we not got enough options to play the various formations that we seem to want to play?

We were promised a high-tempo and athletic approach yet we started yesterday with Welsh, Woolford & Collins. If we're going athletic & high tempo then surely we need Famewo, Embleton, Vernam & even Akheem Rose involved. It's no use moaning now about other teams having 6ft 3in giants - we could have signed some too!

To me, we need to start fighting fire with fire.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 43
devs
September 23, 2018, 12:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30
Agree Old Codger
Stevenage (Stevenage for Christ sake) looked fitter, faster, more mobile, better drilled, more positive, braver, more direct...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 43
Northbank Mariner
September 23, 2018, 12:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Unfortunately OC, there is only one to play against these big lads, that's to play round and through them, which is what we did so well against lincoln...but and a big but, macca has resorted back to lumping the ball up to Woolford, who at best couldn't out jump a rattle snake...
Yes fight fire with fire, play out from the back, get the ball on the floor, pass and move,....with the general size of our players it's the only way forward I can see..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jolley post match.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.