This thread currently has 2,590 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Theimperialcoroner
September 22, 2018, 1:07am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -3
Approval: +5,088
Gold Stars: 93
All this nostalgia brought back memories of a couple of characters from when I first started watching town.
The first was a bloke who used to stagger at the front of the Pontoon doing Norman Wisdom impressions before the game.
The other was an old guy in the Cons Corner who had a gallon of beer strung round his shoulder under a big coat. He used to barrack the players by use of a sled made megaphone fashioned out of a polystyrene cup. Sort of miss the likes of these nowadays.
Am I going daft or can anyone else remember them?

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
September 22, 2018, 1:20am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 189

Not the ones your thinking of but thinking of characters..........Beaver....think he got chucked out of the Old Show Ground while I was there one game.......I went to school with him and I spoke to him a few weeks ago before a Town game in that bar next to the bank on the high street......he's mellowed now.....

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 17
Mrs Doyle
September 22, 2018, 3:56am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
All this nostalgia brought back memories of a couple of characters from when I first started watching town.
The first was a bloke who used to stagger at the front of the Pontoon doing Norman Wisdom impressions before the game.
The other was an old guy in the Cons Corner who had a gallon of beer strung round his shoulder under a big coat. He used to barrack the players by use of a sled made megaphone fashioned out of a polystyrene cup. Sort of miss the likes of these nowadays.
Am I going daft or can anyone else remember them?

Remember the guy with the megaphone lol.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 17
arryarryarry
September 22, 2018, 4:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,942
Gold Stars: 113
Was it Bonzo, the leader of the skinheads, did he become a councillor?
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 17
pizzzza
September 22, 2018, 6:42am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,657
Gold Stars: 135
Quoted from promotion plaice

.........Beaver....think he got chucked out of the Old Show Ground while I was there one game.......

Maybe he'd been acting like a twit?
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 17
Mallyner
September 22, 2018, 7:24am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,509
Gold Stars: 22
I was at the Old Show Ground in roughly 1969 and there was a drunk there who always shouted ' Up the Ma. rin nerz'  I think it was the same guy who sold the ' Evening Tele Growf.' We won 2 -1 from memory and he missed both goals through going for a pee. We were in a side stand but I remember Scunthorpe hooligans throwing some glass bottles at the underside of the roof of the end stand, which burst over our supporters.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 17
Les Brechin
September 22, 2018, 8:58am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
I remember the Norman Wisdom bloke well and who remembers the bloke in The Pontoon, who when it was fairly quiet would scream at the top of his voice "Gerrin to em, get f**king into em"

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 17
Ipswin
September 22, 2018, 9:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
The old boy who used to stand against the fence in the open corner between the Osmond and the Barratt.

He used to abuse the Town Chairman FA Would constantly. I can still hear him, 'Can you hear me Wouldy'

Either he was a disgruntled ex employee of F A Would the builders or like today it was normal to have a go at the chairman

I remember he collapsed and died at a match in the spot where he stood all those years

'Can you hear me Fenty!'

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 17
grimsby pete
September 22, 2018, 11:08am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from Ipswin
The old boy who used to stand against the fence in the open corner between the Osmond and the Barratt.

He used to abuse the Town Chairman FA Would constantly. I can still hear him, 'Can you hear me Wouldy'

Either he was a disgruntled ex employee of F A Would the builders or like today it was normal to have a go at the chairman

I remember he collapsed and died at a match in the spot where he stood all those years

'Can you hear me Fenty!'

I remember him Swin, one game when he balanced his bottle of plonk on the fence at the side of the goal Ron Cockerill just missed it with one of his cannonball shots. Biggest cheer of the day when he moved very quickly to get his bottle.

No bars in those days so he always brought his own.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 17
mimma
September 22, 2018, 12:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,545
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from arryarryarry
Was it Bonzo, the leader of the skinheads, did he become a councillor?

You are correct. His name is Pete Burgess. He use to have a chiropractors bussiness which he ran from that little building outside Blundell Park which use to be a public toilet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Characters

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.