3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
wigworld
September 17, 2018, 1:35pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,069
Gold Stars: 29
Our (just in time) change in fortunes came when MJ brought a sports psychologist in. Is it time we did that again?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
marinerdazza
September 17, 2018, 1:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,589
Gold Stars: 80
I really think it's a confidence thing now. This is the same team that played Lincoln. Other than the loss of Summerfield (who I have to admit, has left a bigger hole than I thought he would) this is clearly a better team than we had last year and I genuinely believe they're capable of better things.

So in short, yes why not. Before the Morecambe game though - if we lose that heads will drop even further.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
psgmariner
September 17, 2018, 1:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from marinerdazza
I really think it's a confidence thing now. This is the same team that played Lincoln. Other than the loss of Summerfield (who I have to admit, has left a bigger hole than I thought he would) this is clearly a better team than we had last year and I genuinely believe they're capable of better things.

So in short, yes why not. Before the Morecambe game though - if we lose that heads will drop even further.

The squad we ha out against Yeovil this time last year was as follows:

1McKeown
2Davies
6Collins
5Clarke
3Dixon
27Dembele Substituted for Kelly at 82'minutes
19Summerfield
7Berrett
25Woolford
10Jones Booked at 26mins Substituted for Cardwellat 90+4'minutes
29Matt Substituted for Vernon at 66'minutes

Substitutes
9Hooper
11Kelly
14Osborne
17Cardwell
20Jaiyesimi
21Vernon
30Killip

I would argue that squad has a lot more attacking threat than the one against Oldham. Hell it even had some wingers!

Jaiyesimi, Dembele, Jones and Osbourne would have been very handy on Saturday.

Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
Tommy
September 17, 2018, 1:57pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,850
Gold Stars: 76
The reason he brought in the chap to work with the squad briefly last season was because the team were weak mentally and couldn't respond (positively) to a setback - be it a goal conceded, red card, bad refereeing decision etc.

That appears to be happening again now doesn't it. As in, we go a goal down and then crumble. So it's definitely worth revisiting in my opinion.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
conocoloco
September 17, 2018, 3:14pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +30
I'm bias but I think psychologists within football are now essential.

It doesn't have to be full-time. A few days every fortnight would be sufficient for developing and maintaining implementations.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
Bigdog
September 17, 2018, 3:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Tommy
The reason he brought in the chap to work with the squad briefly last season was because the team were weak mentally and couldn't respond (positively) to a setback - be it a goal conceded, red card, bad refereeing decision etc.

That appears to be happening again now doesn't it. As in, we go a goal down and then crumble. So it's definitely worth revisiting in my opinion.

The only thing is that it would show a fallibility in Jolley's man management skills to go so early in a season to this kind of help with what essentially is his own squad. I'm not saying it may not be needed, but MJ has to be very careful about the what impression could be assumed about his own motivational ability..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
diehardmariner
September 17, 2018, 3:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +16,981
Gold Stars: 516
Quoted from Bigdog

The only thing is that it would show a fallibility in Jolley's man management skills to go so early in a season to this kind of help with what essentially is his own squad. I'm not saying it may not be needed, but MJ has to be very careful about the what impression could be assumed about his own motivational ability..

I think it would show Jolley as a forward thinking manager who isn't afraid of trying non-traditional methods.  Most successful sports clubs now fully recognise the correlation between positive mind and body.  If we're improving off the field as much as we like to think we are, I would like to see us embrace stuff like this on a more full-time basis than just as and when we're at rock bottom.

I completely understand what you're saying, it would open Jolley up to a section of the fanbase who will see it as pampering and showing signs of weakness.  But in all honesty I think he's going to do that whatever he tries that's a little bit different.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
golfer
September 17, 2018, 4:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,358
Gold Stars: 111
The supporters could do with "psychologizing"  after last Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
moosey_club
September 17, 2018, 4:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,132
Gold Stars: 220
It has been mentioned before but i think what is missing is the bags ball....being surrounded on a Wednesday night by free and easy ladies was always a confidence booster for the lads of 89/90 97/98 .  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
Maringer
September 17, 2018, 4:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -11
Approval: +16,071
Gold Stars: 175
Quoted from moosey_club
It has been mentioned before but i think what is missing is the bags ball....being surrounded on a Wednesday night by free and easy ladies was always a confidence booster for the lads of 89/90 97/98 .  

Downsides were obviously time missed from training due to visits to the clap clinic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Shrink

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.