3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
September 17, 2018, 7:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.61
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,205
Gold Stars: 235
Surely you can only coach players up to the ceiling of their ability. You can't polish a turd as someone recently said.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
diehardmariner
September 18, 2018, 8:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,366
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from ginnywings

No he hasn't. Fox hasn't been fit and when he did come back, he didn't last for 90 mins. Hendrie has only been here a month and hadn't been playing previously, so was hardly likely to be match ready for a couple of weeks.

Fair point. To be honest I forgot Dixon was suspended for 3 games.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
ginnywings
September 18, 2018, 9:13am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,089
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from diehardmariner

Fair point. To be honest I forgot Dixon was suspended for 3 games.

Think Dixon is injured anyway.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
Cloudy
September 18, 2018, 9:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Think the most telling thing is that just a few games into the season and Mckeown is our only ever present!!

Even allowing for injuries and suspensions that indicates to me that there is absolutely no chance of getting the team to gel.

Get a formation/system, put the best suited players into said system and allow them time to develope their roles.

Coaches than constantly chop and change give me the impression of their own uncertainty which must pass to the players?
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
chaos33
September 18, 2018, 5:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
You make a very good point, although some changes have been forced rather than selection decisions per se. We might have had 2 or 3 more players who were ever present or who had played most games. I'm pretty sure Welsh and Cook would have started every game, and possibly Davis and maybe Rose too.

Hard to get away from the facts that : the squad is small, it lacks real quality in every department and we have no strength in depth. Sure we've had a fair bit of bad luck but our contingency planning looks very flawed. I don't know if this is all budget reliant, but we just haven't signed enough good players and we have retained too many average ones.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
MuddyWaters
September 18, 2018, 5:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.61
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,205
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from chaos33
You make a very good point, although some changes have been forced rather than selection decisions per se. We might have had 2 or 3 more players who were ever present or who had played most games. I'm pretty sure Welsh and Cook would have started every game, and possibly Davis and maybe Rose too.

Hard to get away from the facts that : the squad is small, it lacks real quality in every department and we have no strength in depth. Sure we've had a fair bit of bad luck but our contingency planning looks very flawed. I don't know if this is all budget reliant, but we just haven't signed enough good players and we have retained too many average ones.

I quite like Hessenthaler but he isn't Summerfield.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 29
Maringer
September 18, 2018, 8:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,380
Gold Stars: 184
I can't help but wonder if a chunk of the budget has been set aside for one or two players from Sweden to potentially join in January. If so, a big gamble on the part of Jolley.

That said, I suppose one of our main signings was Whitehouse and his loss has undoubtedly denied us a lot of get up and go in midfield. If a good chunk of your budget is spent on a player who gets crocked for the season before a ball is kicked in anger (similar to Hearn), then you're likely to struggle to some degree.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
KingstonMariner
September 18, 2018, 11:22pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Maringer
I can't help but wonder if a chunk of the budget has been set aside for one or two players from Sweden to potentially join in January. If so, a big gamble on the part of Jolley.

That said, I suppose one of our main signings was Whitehouse and his loss has undoubtedly denied us a lot of get up and go in midfield. If a good chunk of your budget is spent on a player who gets crocked for the season before a ball is kicked in anger (similar to Hearn), then you're likely to struggle to some degree.

I guess that's the problem the previous three managers have been trying to deal with. Lots of people have said they'd rather have a small squad with better players than a bigger squad of poorer players. But with a small squad each player out is a bigger slice of your cake.

As for coaches, I preferred Appleby's to Peter Sheffield. Or even the Lincolnshire Road Car Company.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
chaos33
September 19, 2018, 7:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Many happy memories of getting on the Appleby's coach at Louth Road and trundling through Marshchapel and Grainthorpe etc on the way to North Somercotes.  . Get off opposite the Axe and Cleaver.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 29
Caveman
September 19, 2018, 8:16am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +765
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from chaos33
Many happy memories of getting on the Appleby's coach at Louth Road and trundling through Marshchapel and Grainthorpe etc on the way to North Somercotes.  . Get off opposite the Axe and Cleaver.

You could add to that Granville Tours, Starks and The Red Bus that took us home from the Gaiety
down the coast on a Saturday night.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Excellent Coaches

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.