Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Meanwhile, up in Auchinleck.......
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 147 Guests

Meanwhile, up in Auchinleck.......

This thread currently has 1,110 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
September 16, 2018, 2:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
As it now appears I have a legion of dedicated followers on here wishing to know how the mighty Talbot are getting on   a brief update.

Yesterday we played one of the better teams in the Super League, Kilwinning Rangers, and came away victorious 3-1. This was Auchinleck's tenth victory in succession in all competitions, and sees us second in the league with 16 points from 6 games having scored 12 goals and conceded just 3.

By winning the Junior Cup this year we are playing in the senior Scottish Cup, and have so far seen off Banks O'Dee 4-0 and Wigtown and Bladnoch 10-0 in the preliminary rounds. In the first round next Saturday, Sod'sLaw rules, we have to travel up to Wick Academy of the Highland League. It's the first time in over 30 years that none of the Supporter's Clubs will be running a bus (we have three active supporter's clubs) due to their being quoted £1,600 per bus because of the distance involved. As I live south of Auchinleck by some distance this means a 700 mile round trip for me in the motor. Travel up to Inverness on Friday afternoon and stay with a good friend before driving the 100 miles up to Wick on Saturday morning, and hoping to get back home for last orders (1pm Sunday!)

Here's hoping we get the required result. The 7 hour drive home would be unbearable without it.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
KingstonMariner
September 16, 2018, 11:28pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Bloody hell Jock. You know Wick's out on a limb when you read that when you're at Inverness you've still got 100 miles to go.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 6
jock dock tower
September 17, 2018, 10:00am
Special Brew Drinker
Because of the cost of the buses there's a veritable fleet of cars making their own way up there. Airbnb and the hotels and B&Bs will do a roaring trade from Friday onwards going by the messages on the club's Facebook Forum. Wick are producing their first programme of the season as it's only having an away support like ours that makes it viable to produce one. We're confident of having over 100 fans up there for the game which is no mean feat on an average home gate of 400 to 500?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 6
BeijingMariner
September 17, 2018, 10:03am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,674
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from jock dock tower
As it now appears I have a legion of dedicated followers on here wishing to know how the mighty Talbot are getting on   a brief update.

Yesterday we played one of the better teams in the Super League, Kilwinning Rangers, and came away victorious 3-1. This was Auchinleck's tenth victory in succession in all competitions, and sees us second in the league with 16 points from 6 games having scored 12 goals and conceded just 3.

By winning the Junior Cup this year we are playing in the senior Scottish Cup, and have so far seen off Banks O'Dee 4-0 and Wigtown and Bladnoch 10-0 in the preliminary rounds. In the first round next Saturday, Sod'sLaw rules, we have to travel up to Wick Academy of the Highland League. It's the first time in over 30 years that none of the Supporter's Clubs will be running a bus (we have three active supporter's clubs) due to their being quoted £1,600 per bus because of the distance involved. As I live south of Auchinleck by some distance this means a 700 mile round trip for me in the motor. Travel up to Inverness on Friday afternoon and stay with a good friend before driving the 100 miles up to Wick on Saturday morning, and hoping to get back home for last orders (1pm Sunday!)

Here's hoping we get the required result. The 7 hour drive home would be unbearable without it.

will it be live on Och Aye Follow?

all the best, Jock
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 3 - 6
golfer
September 17, 2018, 11:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,372
Gold Stars: 111
Jock--Have you got any strikers you don't want- or fullbacks- or centre backs- or wingers- or midfielders- or strikers. I don't think we need a goalie just yet but for future reference you could let us know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 6
jock dock tower
September 17, 2018, 4:37pm
Special Brew Drinker
Golfer, there's a wealth of talent in Scottish non league football who could do a job at Division 2 level. They tend to stay with Auchinleck once they get here, so look elsewhere please! In the last four seasons I've seen five Talbot players have their testimonials - and like everywhere else they have to be at a club for ten years to get that. Other clubs at our grade have never seen testimonials as other players tend to chase silver or cash, we're lucky that we're successful.

Have just completed an article for our programme a week on Saturday looking at the previous decade's results in the Junior Cup. In that time we've won it five times and been runners up twice. We've played 75 games in that time, winning 60 of them (an 80% success rate) and scoring 225 goals for an average of exactly three per game. A number of players have left the club in that time "stepping up" to the seniors, but the majority as previously noted stay.

Town always used to have a good Scottish connection, and scouting network (I did some myself for Arthur Mann when I moved up here) but don't know whether that exists still or not. Given the dearth of Scottish players at BP since then I doubt it? When you see what it costs to bring a proven non league goalscorer into the Football League nowadays it seems to me to be a false economy not to spread the new that wee bit wider.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 6
Les Brechin
September 17, 2018, 4:52pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Inverness to Wick may be "ONLY" just over 100 miles but it takes over 4 hours on the train!!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Meanwhile, up in Auchinleck.......

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.