Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Was Bignot That Bad.?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 240 Guests

Was Bignot That Bad.?

This thread currently has 7,404 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Maringer
September 17, 2018, 8:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
I think RHJ could probably be a decent wing-back, not least because I seem to think he's played on the wing at previous clubs but I don't think Fox is really nippy enough for the role. He's by no means slow and went on some good forward runs last season but as a big bloke he's never going to be the quickest off the mark. A good full-back but not sure he'll be capable of playing as an effective wing-back.

I'm more concerned about the defensive side of RHJ's game though his pace and strength is often enough to get him out of trouble.

I reckon we'd probably have won a few more points if both of these two had been available all season, however.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 53
ginnywings
September 17, 2018, 9:03am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
There is more to being a footballer than running fast, but it seems to be something you flag up constantly. Our pace, or lack thereof. I'm not so sure we are much different to any other side and have players of varying speed across the turf.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 53
buckstown
September 17, 2018, 9:14am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,171
Gold Stars: 79
I was told by a very reliable source that under Bignot discipline had broken down, training was a joke and the senior pro's were totally fed up. Plus his media stuff was incomprehensible at times.
Only seen town twice this year and although Yeovil was poor, I saw enough at the Franchise Scum to convince me Jolley will sort this. I think he has to convince himself he has a best eleven and a formation that works. I've read on here that he's "lost the dressing room" and it might take the senior players like Welsh will tell him. If he's as bright as we think he is he'll make it work, but he's going to have to do it sharpish before we're back to 3000
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 53
Maringer
September 17, 2018, 10:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from ginnywings
There is more to being a footballer than running fast, but it seems to be something you flag up constantly. Our pace, or lack thereof. I'm not so sure we are much different to any other side and have players of varying speed across the turf.

Lack of pace is something I flag up constantly because we tend to be outpaced by most teams and, when you're getting outpaced all the way across the field, you've lost the initiative from the off. We don't have good enough footballers to keep possession and have the opposition chasing shadows so we're going to be chasing the ball a lot and need to be quick enough to get there. The fact that Jolley has attempted to play a middle 3 containing Welsh and Woolford leaves me baffled as neither has any pace at all these days and Rose isn't exactly quick, either.

In the games I've seen this season, both FGR and Yeovil were full of pace and movement that we couldn't/struggled to match. We coped well enough with Lincoln, however. We played pretty terribly against FGR which obviously didn't help but they were running past our midfield and defence at leisure. We coped better with Yeovil and deserved something from the game but ultimately, it was the pace and strength of their subs that won it for them as our tiring defenders stood off their quick and tricky winger who then slotted in a shot extremely well. Missed the game on Saturday so can't comment on that one.

In attack, we've got players who are quick enough (but too lightweight) though none exactly have game-changing pace, but it's the midfield and defence where we are lacking. I think a Famewo/Whitmore partnership in the middle is probably the way forward and expect RHJ and Hendrie to be the wide defenders which should make us more mobile at the back. In midfield, Hessenthaler, Rose and Clifton are mobile enough and Welsh can play with any two of those in a middle 3 for me, but definitely not alongside Woolford.

The young, dynamic and athletic team Jolley was apparently looking for just hasn't materialised, unfortunately. The one area of the field where we are a bit quicker than last season is too weak on the ball (which is why I'd bung Cardwell back in as soon as he is fit despite his lack of a goal threat) and I think retaining Collins for another year was a problem as he's looked well out of sorts so far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Was Bignot That Bad.?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.