7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
golfer
September 17, 2018, 9:09am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
The ball is never played through the channels. Either revert back to an old system or forget that and try to play to the modern game. It seems that nobody can decide between new and old. You can't mix the two unless one is a backup i.e. Plan B
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 64
KingstonMariner
September 17, 2018, 9:24am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from 1mickylyons
I feel like an empty crisp packet that has been blown up then burst FFS

I always thought we would start slow and then get better but we seriously look like relegation fodder AGAIN!!!

We need to see fast starts at home to get the fan`s onside and were not seeing anything positive at all just some odd team selection`s.

Danny Collins has been a decent servant for us but his performance on Saturday should be his last as a starter in a League game in my opinion.

needs to work out his best team ASAP and start playing it and we need to start getting shots on goal were just not doing enough to threaten the opposition goal.

A very disappointing start to the Season I still think it will get better but the way we are shipping goals is very alarming.

What flavour crisp would you be Mickey? I see you as Salt n Vinegar. Salt for a salt of the Earth bloke with a bit of a vinegar bite.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 64
MuddyWaters
September 17, 2018, 9:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from golfer
The ball is never played through the channels. Either revert back to an old system or forget that and try to play to the modern game. It seems that nobody can decide between new and old. You can't mix the two unless one is a backup i.e. Plan B

At the moment, we seem to want to play out from the back but then get fed up and hoof it. The fans see no progress, go quiet and BP turns into a library.

The best support comes when they see a Town team play with a high tempo and force the opposition back. Only once (Lincoln) have we done that at home this season - the rest has been an attempt to create this new style which appears to not be working. Is it that the players aren't up to the new system, don't like the new system or the opposition have sussed the new system?

I'll go back to a point I made elsewhere - football isn't played in a classroom.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 64
moosey_club
September 17, 2018, 9:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,211
Gold Stars: 226
Personally i think we have technically better players this season.....i just don't think they know what they are supposed to be doing. Every game i have seen to date i have struggled to figure out our shape/ positions....in just about every game we have lacked any attacking width and defensively we seem to vulnerable in the channels as well.

Macclesfield away we had more of a distinct 4-5-1 and looked good....as it turns out that may be as Macc are poor but we definately looked much improved on our previous game and the players looked comfortable in that shape and in their positions.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 64
Northbank Mariner
September 17, 2018, 9:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Says it all about Collins when a whipper snapper(Hendrie) is screaming and balling at him telling him where to be, how to react and how to f@cking defend...to say Collins day has been and gone is an understatement, time to hang up the boots Danny, give the young guns a chance and save yourself from ending what has undoubtedly been a good career in a raft of embarrassing mistakes...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 64
barralad
September 17, 2018, 10:56am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Talk of Saturday being Collins last game is if I might venture an opinion well premature.
This is a player who a month ago played 87 minutes with a broken arm in what was unarguably our best 90 minutes of the season. When we are talking about needing players with the guts to get us out of the poor run we are in then Collins has them in spades. Whether he should've been rushed straight back after that injury is a moot point.
I know it was poor on Saturday but sometimes it's like the Salem witch(warlock) trials on here...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 64
Bigdog
September 17, 2018, 11:09am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from barralad
Talk of Saturday being Collins last game is if I might venture an opinion well premature.
This is a player who a month ago played 87 minutes with a broken arm in what was unarguably our best 90 minutes of the season. When we are talking about needing players with the guts to get us out of the poor run we are in then Collins has them in spades. Whether he should've been rushed straight back after that injury is a moot point.
I know it was poor on Saturday but sometimes it's like the Salem witch(warlock) trials on here...

Don't agree Barra. No witch hunt from me. He's had the odd good game in him last season and one this. It's been coming a long time. He was very erratic and a big part of the problem last season with some really bad habits creeping in and even worse this season. Guts alone won't get us out of this mess. He's too slow, too vulnerable and unsettles what could be quite a sound defence for this level. When everyone is available, Davis, Hendrie, RHJ, Whitmore, Fox and Famewo, he should be nowhere near the team if we want to be progressive. I've been through it myself playing at centre half longer than I should and I know all of the signs and the movements. At his age, however fit you may feel, your body just lets you down and you try to compromise as any forward can push it five yards to the side or past you and you can't get there unless it's a last ditch lunge or block, and by doing that it compromises the whole defence. Amazing that you can post about something that's been as clear as day for the past eighteen months, the results back it up as do the performances and it's described as a witch hunt. The guy is too old, too slow, has one good game in ten in him and shouldn't form part of our defence, end of..

I want us to start winning games and being nice, kind or loyal isn't going to get us three points on a Saturday..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 64
MuddyWaters
September 17, 2018, 11:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from barralad

We've had one good performance out of 4 at home & one and a half out of 4 away - I'd say that's enough reason for fans to raise concerns.

Regarding DC, I watched him warm up on Saturday and I just don't think he's at it. Whether it's confidence or age, I just think Father Time has caught up with him.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 64
barralad
September 17, 2018, 11:39am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We've had one good performance out of 4 at home & one and a half out of 4 away - I'd say that's enough reason for fans to raise concerns.

Regarding DC, I watched him warm up on Saturday and I just don't think he's at it. Whether it's confidence or age, I just think Father Time has caught up with him.

You'll have to point out for me where I've said anywhere that we shouldn't be concerned. There's a wealth of difference between concern and scapegoating individual players.
I've read in this thread that Hendrie was having to tell Collins how to defend. I watched the back four pretty closely and the only person I saw Hendrie screaming at was Famewo when he was caught ball-watching and in no-mans land allowing his wide player to get in a dangerous cross.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 64
Cloudy
September 17, 2018, 11:50am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Bigdog

Don't agree Barra. No witch hunt from me. He's had the odd good game in him last season and one this. It's been coming a long time. He was very erratic and a big part of the problem last season with some really bad habits creeping in and even worse this season. Guts alone won't get us out of this mess. He's too slow, too vulnerable and unsettles what could be quite a sound defence for this level. When everyone is available, Davis, Hendrie, RHJ, Whitmore, Fox and Famewo, he should be nowhere near the team if we want to be progressive. I've been through it myself playing at centre half longer than I should and I know all of the signs and the movements. At his age, however fit you may feel, your body just lets you down and you try to compromise as any forward can push it five yards to the side or past you and you can't get there unless it's a last ditch lunge or block, and by doing that it compromises the whole defence. Amazing that you can post about something that's been as clear as day for the past eighteen months, the results back it up as do the performances and it's described as a witch hunt. The guy is too old, too slow, has one good game in ten in him and shouldn't form part of our defence, end of..

I want us to start winning games and being nice, kind or loyal isn't going to get us three points on a Saturday..

How many games do you attend a season?
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.