arryarryarry
September 16, 2018, 12:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Stew0_0
Why did we drop Whitmore who has been our best defender at the start of the season. Davis was terrible. One move in particular in the second half when he just let a man run past him into the box in the second half to be saved by a last ditch Hendrie block (the ONLY man to come out of this performance with any credit).
1st half we matched them and should arguably been in front had their keeper not saved point blank from Embleton. With 2 up top we looked a threat then cook goes off injured then we glue Vernum and Hess to the wings again and leave Thomas chasing shadows.
2nd half they go into 2nd gear and we fold at the back. Defenders back off and in a blink of an eye we are 2 down.
We huff and puff but the 3rd is just embarrasing. A free header on the edge of the 6 yard box with neitger goalkeeper or defender present. Another blank, another 3 shipped.
We need to find our best 11, best formation and quick as we will be adrift by october and IF like Jolley says we have reinforcements lined up in January (Swedish?) we have to make sure that A) he still has a job here by then and b) we are in a reasonable position to attract them here in the first place.
We need to end this run quickly or this can AGAIN be a very uncomfortable season for town fans

Why was Whitmore dropped? Probably because he was at fault for two goals last week.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 64
dapperz fun pub
September 16, 2018, 2:31am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,928
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from golfer
Pearson covered up for Collins a lot hence we didn't see that Collins wasn't as good as we thought he was.

Absolute balderdash ..Collins legs have gone now but at that time when playing with Pearson Collins was the dominant centre half
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 64
Mrs Doyle
September 16, 2018, 7:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
True Collins stood out then.

Pearson forced his way back in the side but even then he was never a constant first player on the team sheet.

Teams do their homework on every player if they have players with the pace they know our weakness watch videos of our previous games and exploit them.

Let's face it at the moment watching GTFC play must be mouthwatering to any side wanting easy points at home or away sadly.

The amount of goals we are shipping in is becoming alarming again.

The only time we have come back from a goal down and win at home is the checkashit cup and lets face it not many fans saw that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 64
friskneymariner
September 16, 2018, 8:59am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Whitemore best defender?did you not watch Bury game.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 64
sam gy
September 16, 2018, 9:46am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,475
Gold Stars: 55
Whitmore is a new player at the club and has had more ok games than bad I think. Collins has been here a few years and just has not been good this season and did not deserve to walk straight back into the team.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 64
oldun
September 16, 2018, 4:52pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
In the second half Hendrie certainly was not impressed with his central defensive partners and told them so in a prolonged rant.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 64
pen penfras
September 17, 2018, 7:29am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -129
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from sam gy
Whitmore is a new player at the club and has had more ok games than bad I think. Collins has been here a few years and just has not been good this season and did not deserve to walk straight back into the team.

Whitmore and Collins have played together or as part of a three in 5 league games and we've conceded 12 goals in those games, getting hammered in 3. Most of those goals have come from them backing off and letting players into the box to shoot, free headers a few yards out, and individual mistakes from these two. Collins and Mckeown have been the constants under the last 3 managers and we've been letting in soft goals for that entire time.

For me, the defence and keeper have been a weakness for a long time, and no manager has addressed it. Signing players that got relegated the season before has rarely worked well for us, yet every bloody manager seems to want to do it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 64
Bigdog
September 17, 2018, 7:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from pen penfras

Whitmore and Collins have played together or as part of a three in 5 league games and we've conceded 12 goals in those games, getting hammered in 3. Most of those goals have come from them backing off and letting players into the box to shoot, free headers a few yards out, and individual mistakes from these two. Collins and Mckeown have been the constants under the last 3 managers and we've been letting in soft goals for that entire time.

For me, the defence and keeper have been a weakness for a long time, and no manager has addressed it. Signing players that got relegated the season before has rarely worked well for us, yet every bloody manager seems to want to do it.

I'm going to back Whitmore up a bit. Collins is the common deniminator in the central defence backing off and us shipping a lot of goals. Centre halves play as pairs and if your partner backs off all the time what can you do? Play a different line to him? The backing off didn't happen when Collins was out the team and we started looking quite secure at the back with either Whitmore and Davis or Whitmore and Famewo. To be honest I think Whitmore is more of a front foot player despite the goal at Bury. Collins, his lack of pace and playing characteristics of an old man is spooking our defence evey time he goes on the pitch. I don't think we should write Whitmore off yet or put him in the same bracket as Collins. Said it at the time that it was a mistake to resign Collins and Jolley should have drilled and coached a younger back line with more pace, yet Collins is part of the coaching team and playing crapp in games too, tell me how that's going to work out in the heads of the other players! Scratched my head when Jolley said he wanted to play a high tempo front foot high energy style of football and then he went and signed Collins and Woolford and also probably ddn't try to offload Hooper and Dixon. We've ended up with a contradictory blend of squad that cannot seem to master a single playing style, especially when he keeps picking these players..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 64
1mickylyons
September 17, 2018, 7:59am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
I feel like an empty crisp packet that has been blown up then burst FFS

I always thought we would start slow and then get better but we seriously look like relegation fodder AGAIN!!!

We need to see fast starts at home to get the fan`s onside and were not seeing anything positive at all just some odd team selection`s.

Danny Collins has been a decent servant for us but his performance on Saturday should be his last as a starter in a League game in my opinion.

needs to work out his best team ASAP and start playing it and we need to start getting shots on goal were just not doing enough to threaten the opposition goal.

A very disappointing start to the Season I still think it will get better but the way we are shipping goals is very alarming.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 64
ginnywings
September 17, 2018, 8:51am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from 1mickylyons
I feel like an empty crisp packet that has been blown up then burst FFS

I always thought we would start slow and then get better but we seriously look like relegation fodder AGAIN!!!

We need to see fast starts at home to get the fan`s onside and were not seeing anything positive at all just some odd team selection`s.

Danny Collins has been a decent servant for us but his performance on Saturday should be his last as a starter in a League game in my opinion.

needs to work out his best team ASAP and start playing it and we need to start getting shots on goal were just not doing enough to threaten the opposition goal.

A very disappointing start to the Season I still think it will get better but the way we are shipping goals is very alarming.

That wouldn't be difficult at the moment. Losing 2-1 would be an improvement on the current situation. Drawing 0-0 would be a massive improvement.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.