Bigdog
September 15, 2018, 8:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

Don't know the Oldham no 9 but he looked a useful player.

Town need some results against teams in the bottom half. Recently the run of teams has been top half, including those right at the top.

Give the lads a chance and you might be surprised. If we don't get points from the bottom half we are in trouble, but don't panic yet mr manwairing.

Collins gave him the freedom of Blundell Park, it would have been embarrassing for their number nine if he didn't look useful..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 66
lew chaterleys lover
September 15, 2018, 8:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Bigdog

And this underlines how the younger generation view our club.. Oldham a big club that we can't compete with. FFS, God bless the Fenty generation. Another one saying we shouldn't expect to beat at home a side that are destined for mid-table in League Two. I really really fooking despair sometimes. The sad thing is that they're right. Years of depravation of investment, foresight, success, excitement and entertainment have reduced us to the reality that we're bottom feeders who can't compete with Lincoln, Scunthorpe, Bury, Rochdale, Newport, Doncaster, Oldham, Yeovil etc etc etc. Who the fook can we expect to beat? Thanks JF, that's a sound body of work you've put in at our expense the past 17 years.. Please name a realistic price (£0) and fook off and take your "can't attract any inward investment for years" and "competitive budgets" with you..

Yes the Oldham are a big club comment came as a surprise - to the people of Oldham!

You are right in what you say - anybody who can support Fenty after years of failure and nil inward investment is baffling to say the least.

Private Message
Reply: 41 - 66
MuddyWaters
September 15, 2018, 9:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235

Yes the Oldham are a big club comment came as a surprise - to the people of Oldham!

You are right in what you say - anybody who can support Fenty after years of failure and nil inward investment is baffling to say the least.

The frustration is that this is not exactly news. The phenomenal ability of John Fenty & his stooges to continue in their regime of failure & mediocrity without outright revolt is spectacular. The willingness of Mariners young & old to accept that just having a football club is enough is mind-blowing.

Wake up! This is a club with 140 years of history. The last 10% of that history has been the worst time in that history. Our ambition is to stand still. Progress is apparently not an option.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 66
lew chaterleys lover
September 15, 2018, 9:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The frustration is that this is not exactly news. The phenomenal ability of John Fenty & his stooges to continue in their regime of failure & mediocrity without outright revolt is spectacular. The willingness of Mariners young & old to accept that just having a football club is enough is mind-blowing.

Wake up! This is a club with 140 years of history. The last 10% of that history has been the worst time in that history. Our ambition is to stand still. Progress is apparently not an option.

It has baffled and perturbed me in equal measure for a long time.

A mate said to me tonight forget Fenty for a minute and concentrate on whether Jolley can get it right on the field, which is fair enough, but we are going round in ever decreasing circles with Fenty at the centre. What will it take for the majority to revolt against his control of the club - another spell in the Conference?

We have not progressed in any area whatsoever since the day he took over. From my vantage point in the Pontoon I looked across towards our newest stand where he sits. The cheap perspex panels that should offer some protection from the elements in the next few weeks are missing or broken. We didn't have any ball boys today. Some members of staff as they shuffle around the perimeter look unkempt and uninspired.

All small points in the bigger picture of course, but there is no "go" in the club whatsoever. It seems to be stuck in the 1980's and that is being kind.

Private Message
Reply: 43 - 66
MuddyWaters
September 15, 2018, 9:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235

It has baffled and perturbed me in equal measure for a long time.

A mate said to me tonight forget Fenty for a minute and concentrate on whether Jolley can get it right on the field, which is fair enough, but we are going round in ever decreasing circles with Fenty at the centre. What will it take for the majority to revolt against his control of the club - another spell in the Conference?

We have not progressed in any area whatsoever since the day he took over. From my vantage point in the Pontoon I looked across towards our newest stand where he sits. The cheap perspex panels that should offer some protection from the elements in the next few weeks are missing or broken. We didn't have any ball boys today. Some members of staff as they shuffle around the perimeter look unkempt and uninspired.

All small points in the bigger picture of course, but there is no "go" in the club whatsoever. It seems to be stuck in the 1980's and that is being kind.

We were debating the shortage of ball boys today too. We thought that Dee Bee must have sold out of Haribos.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 66
grimsby pete
September 15, 2018, 11:03pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,798
Gold Stars: 222
MJ  might not have played the game at professional level but he has the top coaching badges and has been employed at 3 prem clubs,

That's his problem imo, he has been used to talking tactics to top class footballers,

He might spend hours going through different tactics and formations with our L2 players and I think they can not grasp what he wants,

When he asks do you understand ?

None of them dare say" no I am confused " because that would mean they will not be in the team,

Back to basics should be the order of the day and until we get any more players in lets play the ones we have got in their right positions and keep the formation and tactics simple.

You never know it might work and we win a few games.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 66
moosey_club
September 15, 2018, 11:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from grimsby pete
MJ  might not have played the game at professional level but he has the top coaching badges and has been employed at 3 prem clubs,

That's his problem imo, he has been used to talking tactics to top class footballers,

He might spend hours going through different tactics and formations with our L2 players and I think they can not grasp what he wants,

None of them dare say" no I am confused " because that would mean they will not be in the team,

Back to basics should be the order of the day and until we get any more players in lets play the ones we have got in their right positions and keep the formation and tactics simple.

We might be able to hide behind...suspensions, poor decisions etc for a while but i sat there today and i still have no idea what formation we were playing, did the players ???
Now...i except that the formation may change. ...that the tactical nuances may pass me by as i am not UEFA pro trained ...but.....i do know we have assembled a team that pretty much to a man.....is incapable/unwilling to take on their opponent....never mind capable of beating them.....almost without exception every time one of our players was faced up by an opponent they checked back....Vernam ran at players but he was the only one.

Whether that is self belief,tactical or just purely a fact that our players have little pace or guile i will leave with you.....but if we are incapable/unwilling to take on an opponent on then we are going to struggle.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 66
HertsGTFC
September 15, 2018, 11:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
We've been in trouble since Fenty went in the GET and spouted the infamous words "I always wanted to own a football club" since then what has he got right?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 66
AdamHaddock
September 15, 2018, 11:44pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
I think that psychologist MJ brought in toward the end of last season should make another visit

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 66
arryarryarry
September 16, 2018, 1:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from grimsby pete

You might not be far wrong there Pete.

I know that both MJ and his assistant put a lot of work into analysing Town's performances and therefore put a great deal of work into deciding teams and tactics for each individual game and I wonder if they are putting too much pressure onto players to play different systems each game.

I also think that opposition managers can change their teams too easily to match our style of play and that is why in the second halves of some matches we are being totally out played.

My big worry is that our players are just not good enough to adapt to so many different tactics, or they are just not good enough for this level of football.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › It's Official, we're in trouble

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.