This thread currently has 3,913 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
September 14, 2018, 2:08pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,040
Gold Stars: 197

I would have gone but I'm away at the moment, wouldn't have minded seeing inside the boardroom where all the major decisions are made  

"Grimsby Town and Mariners Trust are running an exhibition for GTFC 140 at Blundell Park this Sunday, September 16, from 10.30am to 2.30pm."

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/september/gtfc-140-exhibition-at-blundell-park-on-sunday/

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
moosey_club
September 14, 2018, 3:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226

I may have missed other pre announcements so apologies for raising the question ......

This Sunday !!   Is that as much notice as we get ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 27
barralad
September 14, 2018, 6:23pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from moosey_club

I may have missed other pre announcements so apologies for raising the question ......

I don't do twitter but I'm assured it's been on there over the last couple of weeks and it was in the newsletter published by The Trust on 31 August. I hope you (and loads of others) will be able to make it. There are some great memories in that 140 years. The office corridor which now has a magnificent collection of old Town shirts decorating it is worth a visit on its own. There are story boards telling the history and loads of memorabilia to look at along with DVDs playing of some of the magic moments.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 27
MuddyWaters
September 14, 2018, 6:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from moosey_club

It's been 140 years in the making - can't rush these things.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 27
lew chaterleys lover
September 14, 2018, 8:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,694
Gold Stars: 236
Well if we are celebrating the 140th anniversary that is a wonderful incentive to make sure a real milestone, the 150th, is the best, the most incredible, supersonic and out of this world celebration.

The journey starts here. The next 10 years are going to sweep the last 17 or so years into the dustbin of history; we are going to do a Bournemouth, a Hull City, a Swansea, a Brighton and a Burnley and make our way to the Premier League. The first promotion brings a clamour for the new stadium at Freeman Street which in turn allows 10,000 season ticket holders roar us into the Championship. Then there is a hiatus; a little pause whilst we gather breath before a final tumultuous ascent to the summit of the Championship, and a return to the top flight of English football since 1946 (?)

If John Fenty can mastermind this then even I, his greatest critic will accept he hasn't done a bad job after all.

I hope Oldham know what is about to hit 'em.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 27
The Yard Dog
September 14, 2018, 9:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
Loaned the trust alot of my old GTFC memorabilia for the exhibition.

Also on the 20th September the Wellington Arms Freeman St (were it all started) are celebrating 140 years of GTFC.

Cannot wait to have a look what the trust and the Wellington Arms have done.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 27
promotion plaice
September 14, 2018, 9:12pm

Well if we are celebrating the 140th anniversary that is a wonderful incentive to make sure a real milestone, the 150th, is the best, the most incredible, supersonic and out of this world celebration.

The journey starts here. The next 10 years are going to sweep the last 17 or so years into the dustbin of history; we are going to do a Bournemouth, a Hull City, a Swansea, a Brighton and a Burnley and make our way to the Premier League. The first promotion brings a clamour for the new stadium at Freeman Street which in turn allows 10,000 season ticket holders roar us into the Championship. Then there is a hiatus; a little pause whilst we gather breath before a final tumultuous ascent to the summit of the Championship, and a return to the top flight of English football since 1946 (?)

If John Fenty can mastermind this then even I, his greatest critic will accept e hasn't done a bad job after all.

I hope Oldham know what is about to hit 'em.

The first club in history to reach the Premiership with most of the squad on £800 a week  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 27
LH
September 14, 2018, 9:25pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,495
Gold Stars: 173
Anything special planned for the home game nearest the anniversary - i.e. tomorrow?
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 27
promotion plaice
September 14, 2018, 9:41pm

Quoted from LH
Anything special planned for the home game nearest the anniversary - i.e. tomorrow?

A win    

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 27
KingstonMariner
September 14, 2018, 9:55pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I remember the centenary. I was dating a really nice girl who was a season ticket holder. Scary to think that it's 40 years since I was trying to get into her knickers. (And no Fishyfanny, I don't mean trying to wear them   ).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 27
barralad
September 14, 2018, 10:14pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from LH

Not that I'm aware of mate.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 27
moosey_club
September 15, 2018, 12:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

I don't do twitter but I'm assured it's been on there over the last couple of weeks and it was in the newsletter published by The Trust on 31 August. I hope you (and loads of others) will be able to make it. There are some great memories in that 140 years. The office corridor which now has a magnificent collection of old Town shirts decorating it is worth a visit on its own. There are story boards telling the history and loads of memorabilia to look at along with DVDs playing of some of the magic moments.

well...being "old" i dont tweet...but like the sound of whats on offer...playing Sunday League so wont be available til 13:00...will possibly call in on my way home ....

but for something 139 yrs in the planning , a little over 48 hrs seems a tad short notice.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 27
The Yard Dog
September 16, 2018, 3:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
Had a good morning/afternoon looking around the 140 year exhibition in the trust bar.

Well done Dave, Ian, Sharon and ALL the other people who helped to bring this together.

When you look at stuff, you then realise why GTFC is a very special club.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 27
MuddyWaters
September 16, 2018, 3:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from The Yard Dog
Had a good morning/afternoon looking around the 140 year exhibition in the trust bar.

Well done Dave, Ian, Sharon and ALL the other people who helped to bring this together.

When you look at stuff, you then realise why GTFC is a very special club.

UTM

It just doesn't feel very special at present. It feels like we were John Fenty's favourite Christmas present for a little while but he's now put us at the bottom of his toybox at the back of the wardrobe in the spare bedroom.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 27
jimgtfc
September 16, 2018, 3:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,091
Gold Stars: 44
Shame it wasn’t advertised more, didn’t know about it until Friday, already had plans by then.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 27
moosey_club
September 16, 2018, 3:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
managed to get in and see the exhibition today, some old news clippings and telegraph match reports bringing back some memories.

One thing that did make me chuckle when in the directors suite...the directors have their photographs on the wall...

would anyone care to guess whose was the only photo with a name plate on ?  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 27
MuddyWaters
September 16, 2018, 3:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club
managed to get in and see the exhibition today, some old news clippings and telegraph match reports bringing back some memories.

One thing that did make me chuckle when in the directors suite...the directors have their photographs on the wall...

would anyone care to guess whose was the only photo with a name plate on ?  

I guess it isn't Mr 'Shut up'  
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 27
Bigdog
September 16, 2018, 3:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from barralad

Never received one Barra..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 27
grimsby pete
September 16, 2018, 3:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I remember the centenary. I was dating a really nice girl who was a season ticket holder. Scary to think that it's 40 years since I was trying to get into her knickers. (And no Fishyfanny, I don't mean trying to wear them   ).

Forty years ago was when I started going out with my wife,

AND

She still is my wife.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 27
Marinerz93
September 16, 2018, 4:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from KingstonMariner

The blue lacey ones or the white french ones  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 27
Perkins
September 16, 2018, 4:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from The Yard Dog
Loaned the trust alot of my old GTFC memorabilia for the exhibition.

Also on the 20th September the Wellington Arms Freeman St (were it all started) are celebrating 140 years of GTFC.

Cannot wait to have a look what the trust and the Wellington Arms have done.

UTM

I loaned out some of my memorabilia for a town exhibition at BP a few years ago, never got them back. Hope you have better luck .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
Cloudy
September 16, 2018, 6:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Bigdog

Never received one Barra..

I have to say I haven’t received any Trust newsletters for quite some time, just thought they had ceased when Bax stood down
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
barralad
September 16, 2018, 7:51pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Cloudy

I have to say I haven’t received any Trust newsletters for quite some time, just thought they had ceased when Bax stood down

I'm well aware that what I'm going to say now will sound like an excuse but we are experiencing serious problems with our e-mails because of the introduction in May of those new rules regarding data protection. Under those rules people had to opt in and sadly, for whatever reason an awful lot of our members didn't. Add to that the fact that we suspect we do not hold up to date e-mail addresses for people and the situation isn't great. We are very much aware communication is a weakness and the decision was taken yesterday to establish where we stand legally. In the meantime we have tried to reach people by putting the newsletters on the website.
I suspect we are not alone with problems related to these new laws and hopefully there will by now be some guidance out there. Data protection is a really serious business and we have to get it right.
It may be that both you and Bigdog replied positively to the e-mail and it is probably the case that active members like you have updated us with the correct info. if needed. Our e-mail system was introduced by people no longer involved with the Trust and we are somewhat lacking in full understanding of all of its workings. It is an area where we are very aware that we need the help of someone who is really I.T. savvy with the time to devote to a vitally important role.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
Rodley Mariner
September 16, 2018, 7:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Can't you just make it that people have to opt out? I have opted into nothing since GDPR but I still get a lot of emails.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
ginnywings
September 16, 2018, 7:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
I'm still receiving emails; got one on Friday in fact, with info on the exhibition. Unfortunately, i had made other plans for today, so was unable to attend. Like others, i knew nothing of this display until 2 days ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
barralad
September 16, 2018, 8:08pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Can't you just make it that people have to opt out? I have opted into nothing since GDPR but I still get a lot of emails.

Dunno mate. The guidance we got said that people had to opt in. That came from the official government produced guidance.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
Cloudy
September 16, 2018, 8:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from barralad

I'm well aware that what I'm going to say now will sound like an excuse but we are experiencing serious problems with our e-mails because of the introduction in May of those new rules regarding data protection. Under those rules people had to opt in and sadly, for whatever reason an awful lot of our members didn't. Add to that the fact that we suspect we do not hold up to date e-mail addresses for people and the situation isn't great. We are very much aware communication is a weakness and the decision was taken yesterday to establish where we stand legally. In the meantime we have tried to reach people by putting the newsletters on the website.
I suspect we are not alone with problems related to these new laws and hopefully there will by now be some guidance out there. Data protection is a really serious business and we have to get it right.
It may be that both you and Bigdog replied positively to the e-mail and it is probably the case that active members like you have updated us with the correct info. if needed. Our e-mail system was introduced by people no longer involved with the Trust and we are somewhat lacking in full understanding of all of its workings. It is an area where we are very aware that we need the help of someone who is really I.T. savvy with the time to devote to a vitally important role.

Thanks. I cannot assist anyone with technology so good luck
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
KingstonMariner
September 16, 2018, 11:16pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Marinerz93

The blue lacey ones or the white french ones  

She was a very good girl. I never got a glimpse.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC 140 Exhibition At BP

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.