lukeo
September 12, 2018, 7:11am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,346
Gold Stars: 142
battered sausage chips and gravy with scraps mmmm

wish they delivered to somerset    Not seaways, anywhere else.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 41
Davec
September 12, 2018, 7:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Whenever I've been past Seaway there has always seemed to be a queue, mind you they were probably all queuing to take them back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 41
grimsby pete
September 12, 2018, 11:51am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,780
Gold Stars: 222
Just read an article by Jon Parkin when he made his debut,

He did not think he would be playing so went out for fish +chips met a girl he knew had his nooky

Then found out he was on the bench he was called on before HT  when a player got injured,

He was not feeling very good after.

It says he was 6ft  4ins  and 17 stone that must of been when he made his debut because he was over 20 stone when he last played.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 41
diehardmariner
September 12, 2018, 12:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,421
Gold Stars: 532
I suppose it comes down to standards doesn't it?

Appreciate these may not be players directly linked with the club so won't comment on them.

What I do see is every home game the youth team players congregating at the back of the Main Stand in their GTFC clobber, stuffing their faces with whatever they can bring in from the Tesco Express.  I get that these lads will have had a game in the morning and are probably justified in their indulgence, especially at their age when they can get away with it.  But it's about the professionalism of it and what message that sends out.

We all can identify when the club are unprofessional with countless things, we often refer to them as tinpot.  I'm not sure this is any different.  These lads are on club duty, they may not realise it but they're role-models to any impressionable young child who wants to one day be in their shoes and have that chance.    

In their own time and not in club gear, they can do what they like.  They'll make good and bad choices, probably living to regret those that aren't great. But when representing the club I personally think we should expect higher standards.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 41
grimsby pete
September 12, 2018, 4:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,780
Gold Stars: 222
I found when I was a teenager I could eat and drink what I wanted,

I would burn it off playing football every day,

Then I got to 22 went bus driving and before I knew it was 3 stone overweight,

I am now a comfortable 4 stone overweight after losing 2 stone  

So let that be a warning to these young lads,

Don't get a driving job if you don't make it in football.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 41
moosey_club
September 12, 2018, 5:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,206
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from diehardmariner

Appreciate these may not be players directly linked with the club so won't comment on them.

What I do see is every home game the youth team players congregating at the back of the Main Stand in their GTFC clobber, stuffing their faces with whatever they can bring in from the Tesco Express.  I get that these lads will have had a game in the morning and are probably justified in their indulgence, especially at their age when they can get away with it.  But it's about the professionalism of it and what message that sends out.

We all can identify when the club are unprofessional with countless things, we often refer to them as tinpot.  I'm not sure this is any different.  These lads are on club duty, they may not realise it but they're role-models to any impressionable young child who wants to one day be in their shoes and have that chance.    

In their own time and not in club gear, they can do what they like.  They'll make good and bad choices, probably living to regret those that aren't great. But when representing the club I personally think we should expect higher standards.

and a large amount of that will be why those same players will be playing for Clee Town or GY Borough reserves in a few years time...the dedicated and focused players rise to the top....talent alone is not enough anymore.....the fitter you are, the more conditioned your body, what you eat, what you don't eat will all make a difference and that difference will shine through come D-Day.

"Sorry son, we are gonna have to let you go".

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 41
promotion plaice
September 12, 2018, 6:17pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from crusty ole pie
May not be involved with the reserve game today then I send my apologies but surely fish and chips outside the seaway is not good preparation for a match

Not as bad as eating during the game   ........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOSGQ2ZNLV0

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 41
Cloudy
September 12, 2018, 6:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431

Not just the youth lads. Certainly during the Conference years the first team players piled in to the local Co-op, corner shop for sandwiched crisps etc before the journey home. The club didn’t provide any post match food
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 41
lukeo
September 14, 2018, 7:30am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,346
Gold Stars: 142

If they're a part of gtfc regardless of age why don't the club organise food for them? I don't know much about the set up and where the youth play but surely it can't be hard to get them all together after the game for half an hour, have sandwiches for them and then head to the game in the afternoon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 41
Mariner_501
September 14, 2018, 5:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +227
Gold Stars: 27
Wow you need to get a life. Seeing Hooper any time I end up in Clee on a Saturday night winds me up a bit though. Probably wouldn’t mind if he wasn’t stealing a wage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town young guns

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.