3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
September 8, 2018, 8:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
I will start with the recruitment this season by jolley has been so far you have to say bordering poor.

The way we insist on a wide formation with no wide players , the way we dont really have any proper right back or left back who can play as wing back if needed as MJ has already shown he likes that formation.

Then there is the lack of a striker , we play jordan cook who by trade is an attacking midfielder  , we hoof the ball up to him from the back almost all the time.

Then there is the sticking with JJ Hooper on the left of midfield when every man and his dog can see he is at best a sub when you aint got any subs , playing clifton at wing back then a winger its just baffling

Whitmore and davis have not shown to me anything apart from slow one dimensional defenders although famewo looks alot better imo.

I just cant get my head around what he is doing with the team atm constantly changing formations confusing the players and playing players out of position  ,   Its worrying and it cant carry on with only one win this season he needs to sort this and fast.

Have we all been sucked in ?

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
lew chaterleys lover
September 8, 2018, 8:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,652
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from jonnyboy82
I will start with the recruitment this season by jolley has been so far you have to say bordering poor.

The way we insist on a wide formation with no wide players , the way we dont really have any proper right back or left back who can play as wing back if needed as MJ has already shown he likes that formation.

Then there is the lack of a striker , we play jordan cook who by trade is an attacking midfielder  , we hoof the ball up to him from the back almost all the time.

Then there is the sticking with JJ Hooper on the left of midfield when every man and his dog can see he is at best a sub when you aint got any subs , playing clifton at wing back then a winger its just baffling

Whitmore and davis have not shown to me anything apart from slow one dimensional defenders although famewo looks alot better imo.

I just cant get my head around what he is doing with the team atm constantly changing formations confusing the players and playing players out of position  ,   Its worrying and it cant carry on with only one win this season he needs to sort this and fast.

Have we all been sucked in ?

Too much theory not enough practical. This is league 2, division 4 in old money and we have players of that ability. Play your best 11 and stick with it as much as possible, and stop changing formations to counteract the opposition, who also have 4th division players. Get the players drilled into a way of playing and fine tune it over time and let the opposition worry about us would be my advice.  
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
scott_gtfc_89
September 8, 2018, 8:17pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +398
Gold Stars: 1
Don’t know who you expect us to sign when all we’re doing is trying to get free transfers or loans, you have to pay for quality.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
moosey_club
September 8, 2018, 8:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,201
Gold Stars: 224
in the interview aired before the game today Jolley indicated he had his strongest 11 and formation in mind but hasnt had the opportunity to play it yet.
He did say that, although not just exclusive to us, its maybe a utopia that we will never reach to be able get a full strength team out and bemoaned that since pre season he has been upto 7 players short at any time due to injury, suspensions etc.

Sounds like every manager in that respect but Thomas, Cardwell, RHJ,Collins, Fox, Embleton, Pringle, M Rose, Dixon, Whitehouse all out of the picture at one point or another / still .

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
forza ivano
September 8, 2018, 8:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265

Too much theory not enough practical. This is league 2, division 4 in old money and we have players of that ability. Play your best 11 and stick with it as much as possible, and stop changing formations to counteract the opposition, who also have 4th division players. Get the players drilled into a way of playing and fine tune it over time and let the opposition worry about us would be my advice.  

I suspect that many will nod in agreement.
One unknown is that we don't know how intelligent our players are
It strikes me that jolley wants to play different ways against different opposition, but if the players aren't clever enough nor have the ability to be that flexible then it ain't gonna work. He said today ,and he's said parallel things several times before, that they told the players beforehand about the bury lad constantly wanting to cut in but the players had failed to carry out instructions.
I do get the feeling they'd be a lot more consistent and a lot more comfortable if they just played a system that suits their ability.

Should also add that with the lad from Sunderland, Thomas and Pringles due to come in we should be much stronger next wekend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
petethemariner
September 8, 2018, 8:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
For what its worth i would give Jolley the benefit of the doubt for a good few weeks yet, but you would have to say that performances, Lincoln apart, have been worrying, we are not scoring  enough(5 in 7) and  have had two hidings by the end of the first week in September.
Jolley did a great job in keeping us up last season, but lets not forget we achieved some vital  points by virtue of debatable penalties.
Our fantastic support, particularly away from home (nearly 900 today is amazing) deserve better than this and we can only hope that the inclusion of Thomas, Embleton and Pringle in the near future will turn things  around, otherwise it could be a very long season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
Jimbob
September 8, 2018, 8:58pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +2
we have released better players and again signed and retained bang average
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
conocoloco
September 8, 2018, 9:05pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +30
Quoted from Jimbob

That's just simply not true.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
TheGoalKipper
September 8, 2018, 9:07pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Quoted from forza ivano

I suspect that many will nod in agreement.

One unknown is that we don't know how intelligent our players are
It strikes me that jolley wants to play different ways against different opposition, but if the players aren't clever enough nor have the ability to be that flexible then it ain't gonna work.

He said today ,and he's said parallel things several times before, that they told the players beforehand about the bury lad constantly wanting to cut in but the players had failed to carry out instructions.

I do get the feeling they'd be a lot more consistent and a lot more comfortable if they just played a system that suits their ability.

Should also add that with the lad from Sunderland, Thomas and Pringles due to come in we should be much stronger next wekend

a premier team with premier s who have the ability to do this and even they dont do it all the time as Jolley seems to want to. We are L2 players plus some with L1 experience and need to play each week knowing off by heart what wheir role is and what the team is trying to do. Familiarity means they do things automatically as it becomes part of their routine. Asking them to play differently every week to prevent the oposition playing their way just causes confusion and errors.
I agree with you 100%

we will start scoring when Wes Thomas gets a run as he is a natural striker will get goals and hopefully enough to keep us in L2 this season but othetrs have got to learn to score as well or it could be a close thing

As a fan of Akheem Rose im hoping he gets up to speed on his months loan and gets the chace to be the impact player we need off the bench.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
HertsGTFC
September 8, 2018, 9:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,880
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Jimbob

Who did we release that we should have kept?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › More questions than answers

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.