Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If Harry Clifton wasn't one of our own....
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 214 Guests

If Harry Clifton wasn't one of our own....

This thread currently has 6,097 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
September 10, 2018, 10:03am
Guest User
Some interesting debate on here surrounding young Mr Clifton.

Hey for me, whilst it would be really lovely to produce a young local player that goes on to have a super career with us, or is sold for a Kings ransom, I am probably very realistic in my view of that prospect.

Good luck to him and I hope he develops, grows and prospers as a superb pro footballer. But ya know what? There is every possibility that he won't, and that he becomes one of the 99.25% of young footballers that have been at professional football club academies, that do not go on to have successful or sustainable careers as a professional footballer.

For now though, I am satisfied that we have a manager in place that is at least giving him his opportunity as a professional footballer, and is giving him game time as well as experience in playing in different positions, because he just might make it.

I think it is important to realise the relevance of Clifton being given opportunity to play in different positions to his more customary position too. Because, even though he has been coached and developed in one position for the majority of his young life, there is nothing to say that is where is future might be. There are many instances of top players in certain positions that were not ever considered for those roles and responsibilities initially. But at some stage, a coach or manager saw a quality in them, perhaps in training, that made them think they have something to bring to a different position. Probably the sign of a great coach who is prepared to put his own reputation on the line whilst experimenting with a player on his coaching journey.  
Reply: 40 - 41
diehardmariner
September 10, 2018, 12:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,589
Gold Stars: 538
That could be argued with regards Jolley suggesting in the summer that Clifton could be a right wing-back as he has the attributes to do so.  I actually agree with Jolley on this, I think the team benefits from Clifton in a central role but he certainly could well develop into a better wing-back than a midfielder.

However, having him play 4 or 5 positions in only a few more games isn't the same as identifying a player having a flair for a different position than his usual one. Far from it.  It screams of Clifton having to fill in where we have gaps. That's not fair on any player, least of all one who is barely out of double figures of league games.  He was lost on Saturday, not because he's a bad footballer but because he was asked to play completely out of position.

I'm not sure what the obsession is with young players needing to play utility roles.  Is it just our club or does every other club do it too?
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If Harry Clifton wasn't one of our own....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.