Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back on  the tram.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 260 Guests

Just back on  the tram.

This thread currently has 8,054 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Grantham_Mariner
September 8, 2018, 5:08pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,177
Gold Stars: 50
Embarrassing !

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
wigworld
September 8, 2018, 5:13pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Embarrassing !

Concise.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 27
Grantham_Mariner
September 8, 2018, 5:23pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,177
Gold Stars: 50
Thought things could not get worse today, but our tram has just been taken out of service!

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 27
moosey_club
September 8, 2018, 5:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,209
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Embarrassing !

no one should feel embarrassed because they are using public transport ...good on you.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 27
TownSNAFU5
September 8, 2018, 6:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,860
Gold Stars: 42
They should take the team out of service, not the tram!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 27
Cloudy
September 8, 2018, 7:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Back home in Gy.
That was embarrassing, Bury no great shakes but we simply got worse after a stuttering start.
We actually had three really good chances in 1st half, Whitmore header, Clifton at the near post and Cooks 1 on 1
There first goal came from an awful pass to Woolford, but it was so obvious after that, cut inside and stroke it home. I guess the second one has been well discussed over the corner that simply wasn’t BUT who the f*@k was supposed to be marking their centre back who headed in unchallenged from 3 yards.
Second half was simply terrible, clueless in fact. Defence was all over the place, midfield, when we did get possession passed it sideways then backwards before losing it, and as an attacking threat we offered zilch.
Unfair to pick out individuals, most were awful and maybe only one or two merited a 5/10.

Get some proper full backs in, RHJ and even Dixon because playing people out of position isn’t working. Get Thomas up top with either Cook or Vernam off him.

Before today I thought 4-5-1 away from home would make us hard to beat, we were as weak as urine
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 27
Bigdog
September 8, 2018, 8:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I think I'm gonna have to start with my thoughts at 2-15 when the team was announced. Collins straight back in without question and shuffle the defence around when they've been performing better than when he was in the team previously? Woolford and Clifton in wide areas of a 4-5-1 when they've been relatively poor recently? Vernam on the subs bench again when only having one attacking player in the starting line up and very little in the way of vision on the pitch? Oh wait, we're playing the mighty Bury. Of course we've got to go into our defensive shell as MJ says they're a good side. It always seems like we set up not to lose and hope to nick one on a break or from a set piece. A long term recipe for disaster in my opinion. MJ has got to realise that we are playing League Two sides and we should get in the habit of taking the game to them not trying to cancel them out. Ok, we're a bit light on numbers, so why the fook A Rose has gone to Boston, rather than being our only real threat of pace from the bench coupled with a bit of finishing ability, god only knows. Hopefully it's just a month of match fitness and nothing more than that. So light on numbers, but I'd have had Hendrie, Famewo and Vernam in the starting line up instead of Collins, Clifton and Woolford. Something like below....

McKeown

Famewo
Whitmore
Davis

Hendrie
Welsh
Fox

Hessenthaler
Rose

Vernam
Cook

Hendrie, Famewo and Vernam when on the pitch have been better than the other three so couldn't see why there was a need to change or even deflate the said players anyway. Seemed a massive unnecessary shuffle just to get Collins in.

The first half was a poor advert for football really. Bury were poor, we battled and won the central midfield but struggled to play any football because again we are so poor out wide. Woolford looked scared of his own shadow and Clifton is not a starting eleven League Two footballer, yet. A mix up between Whitmore and Woolford gifted them their first goal, the second, whether it was a corner or not, any team's goalkeeper has to attack any floated ball within the six yard box at least 80% of the time leaving a 50/50 chance of a defender winnning it the other 20%. If that doesn't happen we're always going to concede by the law of averages. We had a similar amount of chances, and both teams should have gone in level if elementary mistakes weren't made even though we still looked incredibly unbalanced. The second half was a horror show and we could have been beaten by more than four without an average side like Bury barely breaking sweat. .

McKeown - Made some good saves to keep the score down but he really needs to be more commanding on crosses or else the three year contract we've invested in him will look like a bad bit of business

The defence - Looked skittish with Collins back in there. Probably doesn't help him criticising everyone and pointing everywhere when he was playing shitt himself. Looked like he was destroying confidence rather than marshalling the back line. Too deep with Collins backing away all the time, we'd fixed that when he was out of the side. He's a bad influence in this respect and shouldn't be starting in my opinion. Davis and Famewo are better and have done better in his position. If our defence are all over the place and the only change (after Fox got injured) was Collins, that's got to be telling MJ something. Second half they had the freedom of our penalty area, we have to have a defence without Danny Collins. I'm sick of seeing him backing off to defend on the edge of our six yard box and opponents having free pot shots from the edge of the box. Great lad or not, he is relatively finished as a defensive leader.

Woolford and Clifton - Lightweight ineffective and poor.

Rose - Good game, the only one that had a game that resembled adequate

Welsh - Looked like he was struggling with mobility first half and boy did we miss him second half

Hessenthaler - Did ok, but didn't seem to have a lot of help linking play up, but then again with deficiencies out wide, there weren't many options

Cook - Put a shift in although very isolated at times because of our deep defensive line, but even though their keeper made a decent save, he's paid to put one on ones away and if that had gone in it could have been a different game

Subs - Famewo did ok, Vernam looked sharper and more skilful than the rest of our players without threatening and JJ was well, just JJ, running into players, losing the ball and generally just being ineffective.

I don't see what MJ sees I'm afraid. I don't like how he sets teams up, I don't like his starting elevens and I'm starting to get tired of him being more cautious than ever Hurst was. He's got Thomas, Embleton and Pringle to come into the side and about another ten games to get this side playing as a more cohesive unit before I start to get more serious doubts about him. Barring a Slade like run, he should be given a season or two, but having signed at least 75% of this squad and him choosing to re-sign Collins and not try to offload Hooper and Dixon who are surplus to requirements effectively, he has no excuses. This is his side. Other clubs in this division have big player turnovers every summer and they always seem to look a better unit than us.

Here's hoping for better Saturdays in the very near future because I'm smoking far too many ciggies stressing out watching the shite we're serving up at the minute. I believe MJ has the players at his disposal to do better. He needs to do better himself by having a clear strategy and picking better starting line ups and formations. We pass the ball but end up going nowhere. Time for a management team rethink of tactics and approaches to games is in order..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 27
moosey_club
September 8, 2018, 10:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,209
Gold Stars: 226
just watched the "highlights" on Quest.....

WTF !!

Awful defending all round...two of the goals the fella runs 30 yds without a challenge before being allowed to pick his spot
Half @rsed effort of a challenge for the header
6 defenders in the box and they still cant pick up a player who is stood 8 yds from the centre of the goal

Terrible

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 27
dapperz fun pub
September 8, 2018, 10:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Wasn’t hooper and Dixon already signed for this season , I mean who the fuk would take them anyway  ?? Didn’t go today but persistently playing players out of position is making me lose confidence in MJ stick with him for now but we need points on the board not excuses
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 27
Grimal
September 8, 2018, 11:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
There's only one memorable moment that I can recall from todays farce and that's being hit full on in the face with one of Martyn Woolfords miss-placed shots at goal during warm up.Headache,sore face,wet through,pi$$ed off, all in all a fekin bad day. Will add though that he did come up in the stand and apologize to me and a really nice young lady steward came to ask if I was ok.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 27
Grim74
September 9, 2018, 8:07am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Left at 3-0 down no heart no endeavour no respect for the travelling fans, Jolley’s honeymoon period is now certainly over.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 27
Yoda
September 9, 2018, 8:13am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,121
Gold Stars: 71
Jolleys comment on Radio Humberside was telling he said I would like to thank the fans that stayed until the end.
The fans that stayed with us.

His first real mistake in any interview i have heard he is normally very cautious at what he says.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 27
Grim74
September 9, 2018, 8:34am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Yoda
Jolleys comment on Radio Humberside was telling he said I would like to thank the fans that stayed until the end.

His first real mistake in any interview i have heard he is normally very cautious at what he says.

As I say no respect for the fans! I find that comment a bit of an insult really he should be thanking all the fans who made the effort it’s a shame his team didn’t. I chose to leave at 3-0 down as many others did because I just couldn’t take anymore it was that bad, the way we capitulated to the mighty Bury was just plain embarrassing. Anyway from what I heard  the few fans that did stay until the end booed the team of the pitch.

If you are reading Jolley, 3 hour train journey then nearly an hour on the Tram (as the might Bury doesn’t have a train station) then half an hour walk to the ground in the rain. Got back to Cleethorpes about 10pm £100 lighter so yeah it would of been nice to wake up this morning hearing him thanking and apologising to all town fans that had to endure that excrement, one of the worse performances I’ve seen on par or even worse than anything Slade served up.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 27
Bigdog
September 9, 2018, 8:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Yoda

Yeah, I was very surprised to hear him say that. Very harsh on a section of GTFC's most loyal fans who have stuck with the club through thick and thin and spend a good proportion of their wages travelling the length and the breadth of the following their team. Getting hammered by an average team like Bury and playing like a bunch of strangers. Who'd not want to get home as soon as they could and avoid watching their team play embarrassing car crash football for the final ten or twenty minutes? He'd only like to thank the fans that stayed to the end? He should be thanking every single one that travelled to watch the dross the team served up yesterday whether they left after 70 mins or stayed until the end. Hopefully he regrets what he said this morning..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 27
Maringer
September 9, 2018, 8:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Oh, gawd. Sounds like that is Jolley's equivalent of Hurst's 'spoiled' moment there in which people wilfully misinterpret as throwaway comment to give them an excuse to get their knickers in a twist.

Does anybody really think Jolley didn't appreciate the other fans who went to the game and left early - just the ones who stayed until the end?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 27
Bigdog
September 9, 2018, 8:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Oh, gawd. Sounds like that is Jolley's equivalent of Hurst's 'spoiled' moment there in which people wilfully misinterpret as throwaway comment to give them an excuse to get their knickers in a twist.

Does anybody really think Jolley didn't appreciate the other fans who went to the game and left early - just the ones who stayed until the end?

I do. It's exactly what he said and he's always very controlled in every word he says in interviews. If I'd have gone yesterday and left early I'd be really pisssed off about it. Jolley doesn't make throwaway comments.

Then again, you didn't spend any time or hard-earned cash to go so it's easy for you to blame the fans for getting their knickers in a twist by leaping to his defence. I've said it before on another thread, the club don't like the fans and Jolley is seemingly getting drawn into the fabric of that malaise and quietly building himself a bunker mentality, and I really think it's the wrong avenue to go down for a young manager so early in his career..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 27
pen penfras
September 9, 2018, 9:13am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
I doubt Jolley meant it the way it's being taken so literally. Probably something more along the lines of that half being so bad that anybody staying to the end to clap the team off deserves a medal.

The problem is that every comment is dissected word for word and over analysed. The manager doesn't get a chance to write a statement and make sure everything is carefully worded, he has to speak there and then which results in some things that can be torn apart by those who seem to enjoy that kind of thing.

The support yesterday was fantastic and we outsung Bury from the off and even while 1-0 behind. I didn't think the first half performance deserved booing off, but the second half was as bad as I can remember a performance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 27
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 9, 2018, 9:32am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Falling away in the second half appears to be a recurring theme and thus Jolley may need to consider his approach to pre-season which appears to have resulted in our fitness levels being behind that of other teams.

Other than the results my real concern is the constant change of formation and the selection of players out of position, the latter being my biggest bug bear.  

Formation and fitness may well turn out to be one the type of problem sorted out by playing games so by mid October hopefully this will be addressed.

MJ has consistently said he has yet to play his strongest team and with fitness issues for Welsh and Pringle we may also be waiting until October for that but in the meantime MJ square pegs in square holes would LMO help address some of our current deficiencies.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 27
arryarryarry
September 9, 2018, 10:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Maringer

I said in the match thread his first words should be an apology to the travelling fans and the fact he didn't and decided to thank those that stayed was either silly or a dig at those that left.

I appreciate he is new to management at this level but he needs to learn how to react after games like yesterday.

Appearing to have a dig at some fans after really shite performances are not forgotten, just ask Paul Hurst.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 27
sam gy
September 9, 2018, 11:52am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,416
Gold Stars: 53
Jesus are we really kicking up a fuss about a tiny sentence and giving it the whole ‘the manager doesn’t respect us’ crap already?

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 27
Cloudy
September 9, 2018, 11:56am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
[b][/b]Falling away in the second half appears to be a recurring theme and thus Jolley may need to consider his approach to pre-season which appears to have resulted in our fitness levels being behind that of other teams.

Other than the results my real concern is the constant change of formation and the selection of players out of position, the latter being my biggest bug bear.  

Formation and fitness may well turn out to be one the type of problem sorted out by playing games so by mid October hopefully this will be addressed.

MJ has consistently said he has yet to play his strongest team and with fitness issues for Welsh and Pringle we may also be waiting until October for that but in the meantime MJ square pegs in square holes would LMO help address some of our current deficiencies.

Don’t think falling away has been obvious in terms of fitness. Harry Kewell commented that we were clearly far fitter that Notts County and we upped the tempo v Lincoln in the second period.

I do agree with the need for square pegs in square holes but do we have a fit & available right or left back? The recruitment process obviously didn’t find any wingers or we may not simply have looked for any?
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
rancido
September 9, 2018, 12:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,532
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Bigdog

I do. It's exactly what he said and he's always very controlled in every word he says in interviews. If I'd have gone yesterday and left early I'd be really pisssed off about it. Jolley doesn't make throwaway comments.

Then again, you didn't spend any time or hard-earned cash to go so it's easy for you to blame the fans for getting their knickers in a twist by leaping to his defence. I've said it before on another thread, the club don't like the fans and Jolley is seemingly getting drawn into the fabric of that malaise and quietly building himself a bunker mentality, and I really think it's the wrong avenue to go down for a young manager so early in his career..

I don't agree but I think the club doesn't like the fans having and voicing an opinion about how the club is run.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
oldun
September 11, 2018, 9:51am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Yes probably should have thanked all the fans that travelled. Don't hang him for it I am sure he meant no disrespect.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
Les Brechin
September 11, 2018, 10:13am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Probably missing the obvious here and going to look a bit of an idiot (nothing new there then) but who or what is LMO?

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
psgmariner
September 11, 2018, 10:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Perhaps he meant IMO (in my opinion).

Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
Les Brechin
September 11, 2018, 11:12am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from psgmariner
Perhaps he meant IMO (in my opinion).

Ah, didn't think of that . I just read it as "would LMO help address some of our current deficiencies." as a question.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
Grimsby2012
September 11, 2018, 12:10pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,466
Gold Stars: 22
I wonder what the most used words in GTFC history are in terms of describing the team. I bet you it's "embarrassing"

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
psgmariner
September 11, 2018, 12:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Nil?

Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back on  the tram.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.