Rob_in_Grimsby
September 10, 2018, 10:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from MuddyWaters

So what exactly do a retired fish merchant, a retired accountant, a retired solicitor and a racehorse trainer who hasn't had a winner for three years bring to the table then?

At least they have the balls to sit around the table and try unlike others who just like to sit behind a keyboard and snipe
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 157
KingstonMariner
September 10, 2018, 10:27pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Maringer
Nothing hysterical about that post. Unlike much of the thread at the weekend.

You must have been reading a different thread to me. I've seen hysteria before, but that wasn't it.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 157
nightrider
September 10, 2018, 11:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
I remember being in the Pontoon for the game when John Fenty had just taken over
Numerous people walking up to him to shake his hand and tell him how wonderful he was.
It took him a long time to walk across the stand that day. Hailed as the messiah by the fans that greeted him. How times change  
Now it might take him a while to walk across the front of the Pontoon but for a different reason!

Poor bloke. He just wants his money back! 2million and he'll be gone. Without it, never!

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 157
Bigdog
September 10, 2018, 11:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

At least they have the balls to sit around the table and try unlike others who just like to sit behind a keyboard and snipe

What does that mean? The you can't have a say because you're not in charge bollox again? Whatever they're sitting around a table doing, it's not clearly good enough. Sorry, most if not all on here haven't got a spare two mill to lend the club to tie it up for two decades or more to be the big man and make all of the decisions. You keep forgetting that some have tried to work with John and it hasn't worked out because they don't agree with John and it may surprise you to find out that there are several on here who have offered their services for free to the club and been turned down. Why offer help if you can only do what John agrees with anyway? How can the club progress if it's John's way or the highway? You end up with yes men doing John's bidding for free, that's all. So that long old worn out argument of John having a go and no one else can have a say won't wash after 17 years. Just look at what's been achieved in all that time and you have the gall to say that fans who've spent thousands of their own money can't have a say? No one asked JF to take over, it was his decision, it was his decision to put his yes man accountant and yes man solicitor on the board for f all investment from them, so yes, he can take whatever flak comes to him if he doesn't deliver results, which he clearly hasn't. GTFC is bigger than the current board and always will be the emotional property of the fanbase long after we've all left this planet. It may surprise you that there's fans across this country who love how their clubs are being run, we've just put up with shite for so long we're conditioned to it. So we can't spend cash on players like say Chelsea, but we could easily offer the fans the same quality of food on a Saturday afternoon, Kidderminster nail it so why can't we? We can make sure all promotional material is designed nicely, accurately and spell-checked like Chelsea do, it costs nothing but we can't even do that. Fans have put in 30 mill plus since John's been in charge that he has had the benefit of spending, it's an affront to say that they're not allowed a say and never take for granted that fans have not tried to help..

I know you're being personally loyal Rob, but you've got to admit the past two decades haven't been a success and many mistakes have been made, and whether certain people like it or not, fans are stakeholders of football clubs too and deserve a say. It's been mainly negativity from the fans for the past twenty years because it's been shite for the past twenty years, the worst period in the club's history. This set of fans including those that have offered help are eager to hand out praise for a change, we're unbelievably patient in waiting for something tangible to believe in and get behind. The board should feel lucky with the fact that there's so many fans left that are still bothered enough to moan about our plight after all this time..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 157
KingstonMariner
September 10, 2018, 11:52pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

What does that mean? You can't have a say because you're not in charge bollox again? Whatever they're doing it's not good enough. Sorry most if not all on here haven't got a spare two mill to lend the club to tie it up for two decades or more. You keep forgetting that some have tried to work with John and it hasn't worked out because they don't agree with John and it may surprise you to find out that there are several on here who have offered their services for free to the club and been turned down. So that long old worn out argument of John having a go and no one else can have a say won't wash after 17 years.

Aye. Just look at what happened to the last two people with money to spare tried. Mike Parker and  Lee Mullen. Both left after a relatively short period. As Oscar Wilde didn't say, but would have if he'd come from Grimsby, to lose one millionaire football club investor looks unfortunate, to lose two looks like carelessness.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 157
MuddyWaters
September 11, 2018, 7:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,880
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

That's because there's a £2 million roadblock preventing any other investor coming in. As others have said, Mike Parker tried, so did Lee Mullen. Well into a second decade of failure and there's still people backing the board - if they had been in charge of a PLC, they would have gone long ago.
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 157
lew chaterleys lover
September 11, 2018, 8:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from nightrider
I remember being in the Pontoon for the game when John Fenty had just taken over
Numerous people walking up to him to shake his hand and tell him how wonderful he was.
It took him a long time to walk across the stand that day. Hailed as the messiah by the fans that greeted him. How times change  
Now it might take him a while to walk across the front of the Pontoon but for a different reason!

Poor bloke. He just wants his money back! 2million and he'll be gone. Without it, never!

I think there is an argument that his initial investment, subsequent loans and his "safety net" of money if we have a very bad year have been the price to pay for being in complete control of a professional club, and all the kudos (and yes brickbats) that brings.

He has run the club in his own image. He has enjoyed what limited success we have had and milked it (Bournemouth, Tottenham and Wembley) and has enjoyed the trappings of his position, both within football and the wider community (not all people like him but most will have heard of him) which will have helped him.

The money he feels he is owed is a lot for the majority of us, but peanuts in football terms and it was his decision alone to use his money as he wanted. It has not worked, in fact that is the most understated thing I have ever written - it has been a complete and utter disaster from every measure you want to use and shows no signs of letting up. He has to take responsibility for the state the club is in and not live any more on the fact that he was rich enough to step in all those years ago.

We (the fans and the community of Grimsby and Cleethorpes) deserve much better than this; on the field we have stagnated for years and off the field it is even worse, with dated facilities no new stadium or much chance of one and a tired stale board that don't seem to have any ideas or investment between them.

Time to go and let the club recover its soul.
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 157
grimsby pete
September 11, 2018, 9:45am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Our one success in Fenty's reign was Hurst,

Who after getting us back in the league could not get away quick enough.

His parting shot was  " It will be nice to work for honest people "

I would dread to think what some of the other Managers would have said to Fenty if they had the chance,

Mr Newell ( let me straighten your tie )
or
Mr ( fruit loop ) Bignot

For instance.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 157
Barrattstander
September 11, 2018, 1:01pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +867
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from MuddyWaters

That's because there's a £2 million roadblock preventing any other investor coming in. As others have said, Mike Parker tried, so did Lee Mullen. Well into a second decade of failure and there's still people backing the board - if they had been in charge of a PLC, they would have gone long ago.

Grimsby Town Football Club IS a plc.

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 157
KingstonMariner
September 11, 2018, 8:56pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Barrattstander

Grimsby Town Football Club IS a plc.

I think he means ones where the chairman doesn't have a controlling interest in the company.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 157
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Let's start with the board

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.