16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
September 8, 2018, 10:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
I'd just like to point out that we had three times (886) as many away fans as the second best away following (Swindon292) in L2 today. Please tell me what the board of GTFC has done to deserve such loyalty.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 157
jamesgtfc
September 8, 2018, 10:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,944
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I agree with all of the above apart from the assumption that we have the potential to be league 1 or better. After too long in tin pot, too much instability since we came back, a board which only provides us with a “trading budget” and a p1ss poor home with a p1ss poor capacity I’m not sure I and more importantly new investors recognise any sort of potential.

Further to your point and LCL's point Accrington got promoted on a shoestring last year and are currently doing alright in the division above averaging crowds that are a fraction of ours. I don't have the time to analyse 24 sets of accounts but I wonder where our total wage bill falls in comparison to our competitors.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 157
lew chaterleys lover
September 8, 2018, 10:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,694
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I agree with all of the above apart from the assumption that we have the potential to be league 1 or better. After too long in tin pot, too much instability since we came back, a board which only provides us with a “trading budget” and a p1ss poor home with a p1ss poor capacity I’m not sure I and more importantly new investors recognise any sort of potential.

Believe me we have the potential to be league 1 or better!

One man has been instrumental in holding us back. There are many many examples of clubs coming back from far worse situations than ours to prosper. We need new owners, it is as simple as that.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 157
MarinerDevil
September 8, 2018, 11:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,735
Gold Stars: 80
We can certainly get to wherever we want with the right attitude, but do people still think that League One is our par for the course?  It's been 15 years since we were at that level - that's more than a blip, I would say.  People said we were punching above our weight in the Championship; have we progressed an inch since then in any of the key areas that contribute to success in the modern game (investment, infrastructure)?

I was flicking through some old programmes the other day and saw that table that showed us top of Division 1, above Manchester City.  It's only when you look back to the not-too-distant past that you realise how good Town used to be, and why older fans are disillusioned currently.  It's understandably difficult to see us be fearful of the likes of Yeovil at home, for Lincoln City to be relevant to us, etc.  

But that's where we are, isn't it?  We aren't better than League Two, we belong here.  

The problem is everywhere.  It's like everything just oozes sadness; a general malaise which constantly descends upon BP.  It's not about any one individual, we shouldn't pin it on any one individual.  It will take good leadership to provide that spark that could turn the engines once again.  New blood is required everywhere.  Time to find it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 157
Marinerz93
September 8, 2018, 11:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
The board are responsible, there is no drive or determination from the board, that seeps into the players, what other answer for us struggling year on year.  It seems they are just going through the emotions, a massive thread on the Stadium, still no answers.

After raising the dead last season why has it gone so terribly wrong this season, we do have some decent players but is the quality there, performances and league position don't lie, we are poor from top to bottom.

Time to get the Absinthe out.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 157
Maringer
September 9, 2018, 12:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,475
Gold Stars: 185
Bit, erm, hysterical this thread, isn't it?

Complaining about 'the board' is neither here nor there if you don't have the means/wherewithal to replace them. I tend to doubt they are deliberately making decisions with the aim of making us struggle. Perhaps this running a club lark isn't as easy as Football Manager would indicate? Not saying they are much good at it, but I'm sure they are doing their best.

I think Jolley was an OK choice of manager. Did OK last season after a poor start, made some OK signings this time around. Not quite all together yet as we've had a lot of injuries in certain positions and the newest signings aren't fit enough to play yet so it remains to be seen what the squad can achieve.

Is it worth the hysteria on here at the moment? Not in my view.

Hope we start to pick up more points soon as most of the earlier performances indicated we would.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 157
jamesgtfc
September 9, 2018, 12:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,944
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Maringer
Bit, erm, hysterical this thread, isn't it?

Complaining about 'the board' is neither here nor there if you don't have the means/wherewithal to replace them. I tend to doubt they are deliberately making decisions with the aim of making us struggle. Perhaps this running a club lark isn't as easy as Football Manager would indicate? Not saying they are much good at it, but I'm sure they are doing their best.

I think Jolley was an OK choice of manager. Did OK last season after a poor start, made some OK signings this time around. Not quite all together yet as we've had a lot of injuries in certain positions and the newest signings aren't fit enough to play yet so it remains to be seen what the squad can achieve.

Is it worth the hysteria on here at the moment? Not in my view.

Hope we start to pick up more points soon as most of the earlier performances indicated we would.

What means are required to replace the current board? It's not like they are putting money in at the minute is it? In fact, the club is pretty self-sufficient.

In any other business, a board member who told a stakeholder to shut up in a public meeting would have been sacked. Apparently the loans are not a problem to any investors but they are because Grimsby Town Football Club plc is not worth £2m plus whatever he paid for his shares.  The land that we own was worth £800k at the last valuation I think but when the cost of demolition is factored in it is probably worth the next to nothing.

I think he just needs to donate his shares to the Trust, write off his benign loans and step away from the football club. He has failed to deliver a stadium and has devalued the product.

Radio Humberside have called Fenty out for some time and he won't face the media because he knows there are some awkward questions that people want answers to.

If we go down again, I fear we will never come back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 157
dapperz fun pub
September 9, 2018, 7:52am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,923
Gold Stars: 82
[quote=3362]

Believe me we have the potential to be league 1 or better!

One man has been instrumental in holding us back. There are many many examples of clubs coming back from far worse situations than ours to prosper. We need new owners, it is as simple as that.[/quote
While we owe him so much money I’m afraid I can’t see anyone coming in with new investment  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 157
Yoda
September 9, 2018, 8:04am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,161
Gold Stars: 71
It’s his rank bad management that has cost him 2 million pounds.
If he had an ounce of dignity he would walk away.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 157
H19P1
September 9, 2018, 9:25am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
Ok so if he isn't wanted at our club anymore then the fans need to do something about it.

Forgive me for saying but, It's okay typing frustrations on this forum to vent the immediate anger but nothing will change if the fans don't be active to be publicly heard.

I for one isn't suggesting a midseason protest at BP as it'll be an unhealthy distraction to what MJ is trying to achieve but something needs to be distributed into the board meetings via Mariners Trust or something along those lines.

The fans need a mechanism for Fenty to get a very very clear message that his sell by date is well and truly gone at BP and it's time to part ways. None of keyboard typing as it doesn't get heard.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 157
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Let's start with the board

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.