5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Bigdog
September 8, 2018, 8:28am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Simple question after Councillor Wheatley's revelation that for the past six months the council have been trying to steer GTFC away from Peaks Parkway towards the Town Deal Project on the East Marsh..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Les Brechin
September 8, 2018, 11:32am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
If the ground was build on the land where the flats used to be behind Freeman Street, then we'd need to drastically develop Freeman Street itself.

Grimsby has a bad enough reputation for being a dump without taking away fans down Freeman Street as it is now.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 49
jimgtfc
September 8, 2018, 11:53am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,009
Gold Stars: 40
Would like to hear the opinions of the people who have voted for Peaks Parkway. Not having a go at them at all as I still see it as an option, just in the aid of a reasoned debate as all I’ve read is about people favouring Freeman street.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 49
immariner
September 8, 2018, 12:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,387
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Les Brechin
If the ground was build on the land where the flats used to be behind Freeman Street, then we'd need to dratically develop Freeman Street itself.

Grimsby has a bad enough reputation for being a dump without taking away fans down Freeman Street as it is now.

I imagine the top end would be largely flattened (at least on the flats side, so away fans wouldn't be taken down Freeman Street as we now know.it. The whole idea of the New Town deal is regeneration so I would hope the whole of Freemo would see some benefit. And most away fans will be happy with a town centre ground and not an out of town one I should think. I know which sort of away ground I prefer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 49
chelseacity
September 8, 2018, 12:15pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +355
Gold Stars: 9
I voted for the Freeman St area, i would have preferred Great Coates as a location with a railway station & motorway next to it. Peakes Parkway only works due to the spacious land allowing to build lots of houses & this in effect pays a great deal towards a new stadium, the flats area in central Grimsby is easier for those who live North,South,West,& East of that, great bus routes, motorway close by & Grimsby Docks & New Clee railway stations, bars in Grimsby & Cleethorpes just a bus or train ride away, all of the things Peakes parkway don't have, but the flats area will not provide the house building money. I am almost sure that the flats area is not big enough for the training grounds & other bits required to complete a modern day football/business stadium, well that's my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 49
Swansea_Mariner
September 8, 2018, 12:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from jimgtfc
Would like to hear the opinions of the people who have voted for Peaks Parkway. Not having a go at them at all as I still see it as an option, just in the aid of a reasoned debate as all I’ve read is about people favouring Freeman street.

Is'nt the issue with Freeman street that the sheer number of different land owners make it unfeasible,  while the Parkway only has one landowner therefore making it a much easier and thereby realistic proposal?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 49
Garth
September 8, 2018, 12:50pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Is'nt the issue with Freeman street that the sheer number of different land owners make it unfeasible,  while the Parkway only has one landowner therefore making it a much easier and thereby realistic proposal?

What the council want usually the council gets,end of
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 49
barralad
September 8, 2018, 12:53pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from jimgtfc

Peakes Parkway was the best option two years ago and nothing has changed in my opinion. It is central to the whole of NEL, is big enough for the whole development with plenty of room for expansion if needed and despite the protesters onjections it will cause far less traffic chaos than putting it in Freemo where far more will have to negotiate Victoria St/Fred Ward Way and Hainton Ave.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 49
KingstonMariner
September 8, 2018, 1:07pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from barralad

Peakes Parkway was the best option two years ago and nothing has changed in my opinion. It is central to the whole of NEL, is big enough for the whole development with plenty of room for expansion if needed and despite the protesters onjections it will cause far less traffic chaos than putting it in Freemo where far more will have to negotiate Victoria St/Fred Ward Way and Hainton Ave.

I think that might be the case looking at the stadium in isolation, but the Freemo suggestion is part of a wider regeneration project.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 49
pizzzza
September 8, 2018, 1:15pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,660
Gold Stars: 135
Quoted from barralad

I don't buy the traffic chaos argument and never will do. It will be busier for a 1-2 hours every other week, so what! As Nigel Lowther rightly said on the radio the other day, focus on the finish line and not on the hurdles.

It's time for John Fenty to put his head above the parapet and state his position on this.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 49
lee65
September 8, 2018, 1:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,450
Gold Stars: 9
If feasible, it HAS to be Freemo

A stadium would just be one part of it though, as the whole area is an eyesore compared to how it was a few years ago

Not enough people in Grimsby support GTFC for it ever to happen unless it can be shown to improve the area overall and benefit the wider community, and what a great “gateway” from the A180 it could be

Of course it needs lots of faith, imagination, and money to ever make it happen.

But close your eyes and think how fantastic it could look  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 49
Quagmire
September 8, 2018, 2:50pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +929
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from barralad

It was only the ‘best’ option because of the size of land needed for the massive housing development though.

PP is bad enough during the day without sticking 800+ houses next to it, that entire road is going to be gridlocked ignoring any traffic to/from the stadium on match days.

I’m afraid the man at the top pushing for PP is doing it more for selfish reasons (getting his benign loans back) than he is for the good of the football club and the town as a whole.

He either needs to get on board with something that will benefit the whole town or step aside.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 49
Rik e B
September 8, 2018, 4:15pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916

Quoted Text
I’m afraid the man at the top pushing for PP is doing it more for selfish reasons (getting his benign loans back) than he is for the good of the football club and the town as a whole.

Nail. Head.

I was very uneasy about PP because of this but just went along with it as want the job done.

If the council are PUSHING for a stadium in location X we should take heed as all we've had for 20 years is resistance and hurdles from them.

They clearly see a way to actualise with the regeneration funding available.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 49
Grim74
September 9, 2018, 9:12am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
12 months ago I’d of said PP because there was still a glimmer of hope it could happen. But 12 months on with absolutely no update from the club then if it’s do-able then make it freemo.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 49
HertsGTFC
September 9, 2018, 10:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Do we need a new stadium? Absolutely!! The current one is not and has not been fit for purpose for a couple of decades at least.

Despite lots of "press inches" from many potential stake holders I have absolute zero confidence that it will get built in the next 10 years.  

If it does with JF and the boys it will be state of the fart rather than state of the art as everything about this regime is as the Yanks would say "low rent".

I'd personally love it to be Freemo as that's the part of the Town where I grew up but I worry that if it got built there or anywhere else in the Town most weeks we wouldn't get massively more home support than we do know as the on the pitch we have been poor overall and off it .....well I don't see much to motivate an extra few thousand to turn up each week.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 49
promotion plaice
September 9, 2018, 10:30am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,954
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Grim74
12 months ago I’d of said PP because there was still a glimmer of hope it could happen. But 12 months on with absolutely no update from the club then if it’s do-able then make it freemo.

I feel exactly the same now.

The poll is clearly sending out a message to the council/club that Freemo is now the preferred option on here.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 49
grimsby pete
September 9, 2018, 11:00am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Can I add another location ?

I will tell you why first,

Our away support is fantastic and 900 fans make more noise than 4,000 home ones,

So I propose having it sited at Bury St Edmunds Suffolk,

We could merge with Bury Town the local team and will be in travelling distance for the London lads and also handy for the ones living in the Midlands.

Also its just up the road from me and Swin so we could get a season ticket.

Before you all say that's another stupid idea Pete.

I am only joking,

We are down at the moment but we will get back up again because that's what we do.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 49
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 9, 2018, 11:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
As mentioned above, the silence coming from those in the know is deafening. Once again, the supporters are being treated like muppets, rather apt when we have the likes of Waldorf and statler in charge.

The club could get some got PR brownie points here by just keeping us all involved and telling us where we are with regards to developments.

If it isn't happening, just fu(king tell us!

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 49
rancido
September 9, 2018, 11:22am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92
But surely this a complete about face by the council!. Didn't they , along with the club, do a study to find the best site and PP was the preferred one by GTFC and The Council! Whichever site they choose the bottom line is that the club can't afford a new ground and the Council would never financially help the club to build it so we remain in limbo. The ground will slowly deteriorate until certain parts are condemned ( the floodlights are close to that now ) and Blundell Park ceases to exist as such, not with a bang but with a whimper.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 49
Marinerz93
September 9, 2018, 11:25am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
New Stadium you say....

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iiErBW3.gif[/img]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 49
realist
September 9, 2018, 11:39am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,687
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from rancido
But surely this a complete about face by the council!. Didn't they , along with the club, do a study to find the best site and PP was the preferred one by GTFC and The Council! Whichever site they choose the bottom line is that the club can't afford a new ground and the Council would never financially help the club to build it so we remain in limbo. The ground will slowly deteriorate until certain parts are condemned ( the floodlights are close to that now ) and Blundell Park ceases to exist as such, not with a bang but with a whimper.

Get up to speed on this. It was a biased report solely using data provided by Fenty to get what he wanted. I think a truely independent study sould have  given a diferent location..PP didnt even make the local plan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 49
rancido
September 9, 2018, 11:59am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92
Quoted from realist

Get up to speed on this. It was a biased report solely using data provided by Fenty to get what he wanted. I think a truely independent study sould have  given a diferent location..PP didnt even make the local plan

So you are categorically stating that The Council had no input at all about the ground study and PP wasn't part of their preferred choices?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 49
KingstonMariner
September 9, 2018, 2:47pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Maybe. But that was years ago. When the facts on the ground have change, you need to be prepared to change course. Besides, there has been no sign of a commercial proposal let alone a planning application for Peaks Parkway. Clearly the commercial case isn't there.

Whether or not the public sector would part fund a stadium remains to be seen. Maybe someone out there knows what sort of funds are available that a football stadium might qualify for. A publicly owned facility that is used most days for community purposes, and match days for football, might be something that could be supported by public money.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 49
ginnywings
September 9, 2018, 4:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
I'm baffled by this talk of Mr Wheatley saying they are trying to push Town toward Freeman Street, when a Telegraph article as recent as April said totally the opposite.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-town-stadium-freeman-street-1463482

Unless the issue is about how much land GTFC are requiring for the development, and scaling it down would make it feasible at the Freemo site?

All we do know is that the two sides, namely the GTFC board and the Council seem to be singing from a different song sheet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 49
Cloudy
September 9, 2018, 5:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm baffled by this talk of Mr Wheatley saying they are trying to push Town toward Freeman Street, when a Telegraph article as recent as April said totally the opposite.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-town-stadium-freeman-street-1463482

Unless the issue is about how much land GTFC are requiring for the development, and scaling it down would make it feasible at the Freemo site?

All we do know is that the two sides, namely the GTFC board and the Council seem to be singing from a different song sheet.

I heard previously that the club were hellbent on having training pitches alongside the new ground. Now that isn’t likely at Freemo because of the room and I heard it said that Clee Fields was going to be redeveloped to include the GTFC training facilities and community pitches?

I would go as far as saying the stadium can be the catalyst to getting the much needed regeneration of the Freemo area rather than the stadium being the ‘add on’ that it would have been at PP.

I know others have said that Great Coates was the best location but I cannot help but feel we dodged a bullet there. Out of town stadium is a big no no for me despite being close to the A180. Anyway that has long since died
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 49
Rodley Mariner
September 9, 2018, 5:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
The article talks about enabling developments as well as training pitches etc so I guess as Cloudy suggests that maybe if we needed less space then maybe that's a game-changer?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 49
ginnywings
September 9, 2018, 5:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
The article talks about enabling developments as well as training pitches etc so I guess as Cloudy suggests that maybe if we needed less space then maybe that's a game-changer?

Yeah, i alluded to that in my post. I was under the impression that PP was arrived at by all parties, but that is now looking not to be the case. One has to wonder why the club are so stuck on PP, if the council are saying that Freemo is a possibility? I have my theories on why that might be, but i will keep them to myself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 49
Rodley Mariner
September 9, 2018, 5:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah, i alluded to that in my post. I was under the impression that PP was arrived at by all parties, but that is now looking not to be the case. One has to wonder why the club are so stuck on PP, if the council are saying that Freemo is a possibility? I have my theories on why that might be, but i will keep them to myself.

I  think we could all have guess or two at that and they'd probably be pretty similar!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 49
lew chaterleys lover
September 9, 2018, 5:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Do we need a new stadium? Absolutely!! The current one is not and has not been fit for purpose for a couple of decades at least.

Despite lots of "press inches" from many potential stake holders I have absolute zero confidence that it will get built in the next 10 years.  

If it does with JF and the boys it will be state of the fart rather than state of the art as everything about this regime is as the Yanks would say "low rent".

I'd personally love it to be Freemo as that's the part of the Town where I grew up but I worry that if it got built there or anywhere else in the Town most weeks we wouldn't get massively more home support than we do know as the on the pitch we have been poor overall and off it .....well I don't see much to motivate an extra few thousand to turn up each week.    

I agree. It is imperative that Fenty has nothing to do with the new stadium. Can you imagine it - a half baked, cheap as chips fudge - unless someone else is paying of course, and even then if he had anything to do with it it would be a disaster.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 49
Ipswin
September 9, 2018, 5:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from grimsby pete
Can I add another location ?

I will tell you why first,

Our away support is fantastic and 900 fans make more noise than 4,000 home ones,

So I propose having it sited at Bury St Edmunds Suffolk,

We could merge with Bury Town the local team and will be in travelling distance for the London lads and also handy for the ones living in the Midlands.

Also its just up the road from me and Swin so we could get a season ticket.

Before you all say that's another stupid idea Pete.

I am only joking,

We are down at the moment but we will get back up again because that's what we do.

I might go if it's in Ipswich Pete but given the crap they are dishing up at the moment I wouldn't go as far as Bury St Edmunds to see them

(seriously will I see you at Cambridge and Colchester mate? Although Colchester is Good Friday we could be down by then))

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 49
barralad
September 9, 2018, 6:58pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from ginnywings

As someone who has worked both with and against Councillor Wheatley I think you right to be baffled. The Council were the ones who offered the Peaks Parkway land to the club in the first place thereby resurrecting the whole issue (to the good I might add).  All I've seen that suggests a change of heart was when the Labour candidate for Park Ward in the recent local elections pledged to fight against a stadium in a site that the ruling Labour administration had offered. A stand point that judging by his subsequent failure to get elected I wasn't alone in being incredulous about. There is a titanic local political struggle going on at the moment between the incumbent Labour Party and a resurgent Conservative Party who came within 42 votes of having an equal number of councillors on NEL council recently. To a certain extent GTFC (the club not the hierarchy) and its fans are victims of this struggle. Councillor Wheatley represents Labour and Councillor Fenty doesn't. I'm not saying nothing has been said in relation to GTFC being moved to Freemo but the scope that Councillor Wheatley has for political point scoring on this issue is enormous and judging by some of the posts in this thread it has fallen on fertile ground.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 49
HertsGTFC
September 9, 2018, 7:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

As someone who has worked both with and against Councillor Wheatley I think you right to be baffled. The Council were the ones who offered the Peaks Parkway land to the council in the first place thereby resurrecting the whole issue (to the good I might add).  All I've seen that suggests a change of heart was when the Labour candidate for Park Ward in the recent local elections pledged to fight against a stadium in a site that the ruling Labour administration had offered. A stand point that judging by his subsequent failure to get elected I wasn't alone in being incredulous about. There is a titanic local political struggle going on at the moment between the incumbent Labour Party and a resurgent Conservative Party who came within 42 votes of having an equal number of councillors on NEL council recently. To a certain extent GTFC (the club not the hierarchy) and its fans are victims of this struggle. Councillor Wheatley represents Labour and Councillor Fenty doesn't. I'm not saying nothing has been said in relation to GTFC being moved to Freemo but the scope that Councillor Wheatley has for political point scoring on this issue is enormous and judging by some of the posts in this thread it has fallen on fertile ground.

And this is why despite it being the chosen location for many we should not get involved with politicians  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 49
barralad
September 9, 2018, 7:24pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from HertsGTFC

And this is why despite it being the chosen location for many we should not get involved with politicians  

Sadly local government rules dictate that it is impossible to implement any major building/infrastructure changes without involving local government.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 49
HertsGTFC
September 9, 2018, 7:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Sadly local government rules dictate that it is impossible to implement any major building/infrastructure changes without involving local government.

Yes I get that, but if your funding depends on a politician being your partner it will be a painful process. First and foremost these people are politicians!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 49
KingstonMariner
September 9, 2018, 9:33pm
Meths Drinker

I agree. It is imperative that Fenty has nothing to do with the new stadium. Can you imagine it - a half baked, cheap as chips fudge - unless someone else is paying of course, and even then if he had anything to do with it it would be a disaster.

I'm sure I saw the for sale down the prom a couple of weeks ago.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 49
KingstonMariner
September 9, 2018, 9:36pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Things change.That was what 3 years ago? Before the towers came down, and while there was a twinkle of a hope there'd be enough money in 'enabling development' to fund enough of the stadium to make it sustainable for the club.

That's not to say there isn't political capital to be made out of the new situation.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 49
fishboyUTM
September 9, 2018, 11:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

That's why I voted Peaks Parkway. Are the Council suggesting Council owned land, similar to Peaks Parkway around Freeman Street may become available then? If that's the case, I'd prefer Freemo. Though the enabling development may be an issue, there won't be too much room to build houses / retail outlets will there?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 49
grimsby pete
September 10, 2018, 1:48pm

Exile
Quoted from Ipswin

I might go if it's in Ipswich Pete but given the crap they are dishing up at the moment I wouldn't go as far as Bury St Edmunds to see them

(seriously will I see you at Cambridge and Colchester mate? Although Colchester is Good Friday we could be down by then))

I will see you at Cambridge Swin  but it depends when I have my other knee replaced it could be around Easter so will let you know nearer the time mate.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 49
MarinerMal
September 10, 2018, 2:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +784
Gold Stars: 17
Would there be enough room for adequate parking at any Freeman Street site? If not we'd just be spending millions on moving many of the match day issues a few hundred yards down the road.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 49
pizzzza
September 10, 2018, 3:01pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,660
Gold Stars: 135
Quoted from MarinerMal
Would there be enough room for adequate parking at any Freeman Street site? If not we'd just be spending millions on moving many of the match day issues a few hundred yards down the road.

I'm fairly sure that if it were to go ahead a solution will have been found for this.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 49
KingstonMariner
September 10, 2018, 10:42pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from MarinerMal

Maybe less of a problem because fewer people live round there now?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 49
KingstonMariner
September 10, 2018, 10:43pm
Meths Drinker
One thing we've all overlooked in all this speculation about Freeman's (Freemen's?) Park is what do people living on the East Marsh think. I know there's a couple of posters who used to live there, but anyone living there now? What do you think?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 49
immariner
September 11, 2018, 12:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,387
Gold Stars: 59
Interesting to note that Rotherham United's ground, built just three years ago, has ZERO public parking  on match days. Zilch. Nada.

Being town centre there should be much less need for car parking than there would be at PP (and that BP currently does), with all local bus routes converging on the town centre.Then it's either a 15 minute walk to the stadium or jump on another bus for a quick 5 minute shuttle. A few hundred bike spaces and it will be like days of yore and we, GTFC, will rest easy knowing we have saved the planet. Don't sweat the small stuff people. I'd probably continue to park on Daubney Street and walk down, keep the tradition alive!

Being a little bit more serious for a second, I imagine multi-storey would be the way to go but this would of course be provisioned for at the planning stage.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 49
conocoloco
September 11, 2018, 8:15pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +30
As long as it's the "Conoco Stadium" as originally promised I have no issue where.

My cap is starting to gather dust.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 49
KingstonMariner
September 11, 2018, 8:48pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from conocoloco
As long as it's the "Conoco Stadium" as originally promised I have no issue where.

My cap is starting to gather dust.

I'm sure Pete still has his 'Ticklers Jam Stadium' straw boater.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 49
Rodley Mariner
September 11, 2018, 9:21pm
Special Brew Drinker
Is it massively cynical of me to suggest that if it was the case that PP was continuing to progress whilst Freeman Street was still in no way an option that a statement to that effect would have been released?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 49
grimsby pete
September 11, 2018, 9:29pm

Exile
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I'm sure Pete still has his 'Ticklers Jam Stadium' straw boater.

Cheeky  

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 49
Grim74
September 11, 2018, 10:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Is it massively cynical of me to suggest that if it was the case that PP was continuing to progress whilst Freeman Street was still in no way an option that a statement to that effect would have been released?

Any other club in question that values it’s fans and you would be called a cynic but this is GTFC!

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 49
Grimsby2012
September 11, 2018, 10:50pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,466
Gold Stars: 22
We should call it "We don't have a clue how to win, can you give us a few goals" stadium

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 49
promotion plaice
September 11, 2018, 11:24pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,954
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Grimsby2012
We should call it "We don't have a clue how to win, can you give us a few goals" stadium

How about the "Someone else took over the club and actually made it happen" stadium.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 49
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › New Stadium Location

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.