barralad
September 9, 2018, 6:58pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm baffled by this talk of Mr Wheatley saying they are trying to push Town toward Freeman Street, when a Telegraph article as recent as April said totally the opposite.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-town-stadium-freeman-street-1463482

Unless the issue is about how much land GTFC are requiring for the development, and scaling it down would make it feasible at the Freemo site?

All we do know is that the two sides, namely the GTFC board and the Council seem to be singing from a different song sheet.

As someone who has worked both with and against Councillor Wheatley I think you right to be baffled. The Council were the ones who offered the Peaks Parkway land to the club in the first place thereby resurrecting the whole issue (to the good I might add).  All I've seen that suggests a change of heart was when the Labour candidate for Park Ward in the recent local elections pledged to fight against a stadium in a site that the ruling Labour administration had offered. A stand point that judging by his subsequent failure to get elected I wasn't alone in being incredulous about. There is a titanic local political struggle going on at the moment between the incumbent Labour Party and a resurgent Conservative Party who came within 42 votes of having an equal number of councillors on NEL council recently. To a certain extent GTFC (the club not the hierarchy) and its fans are victims of this struggle. Councillor Wheatley represents Labour and Councillor Fenty doesn't. I'm not saying nothing has been said in relation to GTFC being moved to Freemo but the scope that Councillor Wheatley has for political point scoring on this issue is enormous and judging by some of the posts in this thread it has fallen on fertile ground.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 49
HertsGTFC
September 9, 2018, 7:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from barralad

As someone who has worked both with and against Councillor Wheatley I think you right to be baffled. The Council were the ones who offered the Peaks Parkway land to the council in the first place thereby resurrecting the whole issue (to the good I might add).  All I've seen that suggests a change of heart was when the Labour candidate for Park Ward in the recent local elections pledged to fight against a stadium in a site that the ruling Labour administration had offered. A stand point that judging by his subsequent failure to get elected I wasn't alone in being incredulous about. There is a titanic local political struggle going on at the moment between the incumbent Labour Party and a resurgent Conservative Party who came within 42 votes of having an equal number of councillors on NEL council recently. To a certain extent GTFC (the club not the hierarchy) and its fans are victims of this struggle. Councillor Wheatley represents Labour and Councillor Fenty doesn't. I'm not saying nothing has been said in relation to GTFC being moved to Freemo but the scope that Councillor Wheatley has for political point scoring on this issue is enormous and judging by some of the posts in this thread it has fallen on fertile ground.

And this is why despite it being the chosen location for many we should not get involved with politicians  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 49
barralad
September 9, 2018, 7:24pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from HertsGTFC

And this is why despite it being the chosen location for many we should not get involved with politicians  

Sadly local government rules dictate that it is impossible to implement any major building/infrastructure changes without involving local government.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 49
HertsGTFC
September 9, 2018, 7:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from barralad

Sadly local government rules dictate that it is impossible to implement any major building/infrastructure changes without involving local government.

Yes I get that, but if your funding depends on a politician being your partner it will be a painful process. First and foremost these people are politicians!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 49
KingstonMariner
September 9, 2018, 9:33pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

I agree. It is imperative that Fenty has nothing to do with the new stadium. Can you imagine it - a half baked, cheap as chips fudge - unless someone else is paying of course, and even then if he had anything to do with it it would be a disaster.

I'm sure I saw the for sale down the prom a couple of weeks ago.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 49
KingstonMariner
September 9, 2018, 9:36pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah, i alluded to that in my post. I was under the impression that PP was arrived at by all parties, but that is now looking not to be the case. One has to wonder why the club are so stuck on PP, if the council are saying that Freemo is a possibility? I have my theories on why that might be, but i will keep them to myself.

Things change.That was what 3 years ago? Before the towers came down, and while there was a twinkle of a hope there'd be enough money in 'enabling development' to fund enough of the stadium to make it sustainable for the club.

That's not to say there isn't political capital to be made out of the new situation.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 49
fishboyUTM
September 9, 2018, 11:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Is'nt the issue with Freeman street that the sheer number of different land owners make it unfeasible,  while the Parkway only has one landowner therefore making it a much easier and thereby realistic proposal?

That's why I voted Peaks Parkway. Are the Council suggesting Council owned land, similar to Peaks Parkway around Freeman Street may become available then? If that's the case, I'd prefer Freemo. Though the enabling development may be an issue, there won't be too much room to build houses / retail outlets will there?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 49
grimsby pete
September 10, 2018, 1:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from Ipswin

I might go if it's in Ipswich Pete but given the crap they are dishing up at the moment I wouldn't go as far as Bury St Edmunds to see them

(seriously will I see you at Cambridge and Colchester mate? Although Colchester is Good Friday we could be down by then))

I will see you at Cambridge Swin  but it depends when I have my other knee replaced it could be around Easter so will let you know nearer the time mate.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 49
MarinerMal
September 10, 2018, 2:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +784
Gold Stars: 17
Would there be enough room for adequate parking at any Freeman Street site? If not we'd just be spending millions on moving many of the match day issues a few hundred yards down the road.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 49
pizzzza
September 10, 2018, 3:01pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,657
Gold Stars: 135
Quoted from MarinerMal
Would there be enough room for adequate parking at any Freeman Street site? If not we'd just be spending millions on moving many of the match day issues a few hundred yards down the road.

I'm fairly sure that if it were to go ahead a solution will have been found for this.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Stadium Location

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.