realist
September 9, 2018, 11:39am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,689
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from rancido
But surely this a complete about face by the council!. Didn't they , along with the club, do a study to find the best site and PP was the preferred one by GTFC and The Council! Whichever site they choose the bottom line is that the club can't afford a new ground and the Council would never financially help the club to build it so we remain in limbo. The ground will slowly deteriorate until certain parts are condemned ( the floodlights are close to that now ) and Blundell Park ceases to exist as such, not with a bang but with a whimper.

Get up to speed on this. It was a biased report solely using data provided by Fenty to get what he wanted. I think a truely independent study sould have  given a diferent location..PP didnt even make the local plan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 49
rancido
September 9, 2018, 11:59am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,534
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from realist

Get up to speed on this. It was a biased report solely using data provided by Fenty to get what he wanted. I think a truely independent study sould have  given a diferent location..PP didnt even make the local plan

So you are categorically stating that The Council had no input at all about the ground study and PP wasn't part of their preferred choices?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 49
KingstonMariner
September 9, 2018, 2:47pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido
But surely this a complete about face by the council!. Didn't they , along with the club, do a study to find the best site and PP was the preferred one by GTFC and The Council! Whichever site they choose the bottom line is that the club can't afford a new ground and the Council would never financially help the club to build it so we remain in limbo. The ground will slowly deteriorate until certain parts are condemned ( the floodlights are close to that now ) and Blundell Park ceases to exist as such, not with a bang but with a whimper.

Maybe. But that was years ago. When the facts on the ground have change, you need to be prepared to change course. Besides, there has been no sign of a commercial proposal let alone a planning application for Peaks Parkway. Clearly the commercial case isn't there.

Whether or not the public sector would part fund a stadium remains to be seen. Maybe someone out there knows what sort of funds are available that a football stadium might qualify for. A publicly owned facility that is used most days for community purposes, and match days for football, might be something that could be supported by public money.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 49
ginnywings
September 9, 2018, 4:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
I'm baffled by this talk of Mr Wheatley saying they are trying to push Town toward Freeman Street, when a Telegraph article as recent as April said totally the opposite.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-town-stadium-freeman-street-1463482

Unless the issue is about how much land GTFC are requiring for the development, and scaling it down would make it feasible at the Freemo site?

All we do know is that the two sides, namely the GTFC board and the Council seem to be singing from a different song sheet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 49
Cloudy
September 9, 2018, 5:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm baffled by this talk of Mr Wheatley saying they are trying to push Town toward Freeman Street, when a Telegraph article as recent as April said totally the opposite.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-town-stadium-freeman-street-1463482

Unless the issue is about how much land GTFC are requiring for the development, and scaling it down would make it feasible at the Freemo site?

All we do know is that the two sides, namely the GTFC board and the Council seem to be singing from a different song sheet.

I heard previously that the club were hellbent on having training pitches alongside the new ground. Now that isn’t likely at Freemo because of the room and I heard it said that Clee Fields was going to be redeveloped to include the GTFC training facilities and community pitches?

I would go as far as saying the stadium can be the catalyst to getting the much needed regeneration of the Freemo area rather than the stadium being the ‘add on’ that it would have been at PP.

I know others have said that Great Coates was the best location but I cannot help but feel we dodged a bullet there. Out of town stadium is a big no no for me despite being close to the A180. Anyway that has long since died
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 49
Rodley Mariner
September 9, 2018, 5:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
The article talks about enabling developments as well as training pitches etc so I guess as Cloudy suggests that maybe if we needed less space then maybe that's a game-changer?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 49
ginnywings
September 9, 2018, 5:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
The article talks about enabling developments as well as training pitches etc so I guess as Cloudy suggests that maybe if we needed less space then maybe that's a game-changer?

Yeah, i alluded to that in my post. I was under the impression that PP was arrived at by all parties, but that is now looking not to be the case. One has to wonder why the club are so stuck on PP, if the council are saying that Freemo is a possibility? I have my theories on why that might be, but i will keep them to myself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 49
Rodley Mariner
September 9, 2018, 5:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah, i alluded to that in my post. I was under the impression that PP was arrived at by all parties, but that is now looking not to be the case. One has to wonder why the club are so stuck on PP, if the council are saying that Freemo is a possibility? I have my theories on why that might be, but i will keep them to myself.

I  think we could all have guess or two at that and they'd probably be pretty similar!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 49
lew chaterleys lover
September 9, 2018, 5:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,660
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Do we need a new stadium? Absolutely!! The current one is not and has not been fit for purpose for a couple of decades at least.

Despite lots of "press inches" from many potential stake holders I have absolute zero confidence that it will get built in the next 10 years.  

If it does with JF and the boys it will be state of the fart rather than state of the art as everything about this regime is as the Yanks would say "low rent".

I'd personally love it to be Freemo as that's the part of the Town where I grew up but I worry that if it got built there or anywhere else in the Town most weeks we wouldn't get massively more home support than we do know as the on the pitch we have been poor overall and off it .....well I don't see much to motivate an extra few thousand to turn up each week.    

I agree. It is imperative that Fenty has nothing to do with the new stadium. Can you imagine it - a half baked, cheap as chips fudge - unless someone else is paying of course, and even then if he had anything to do with it it would be a disaster.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 49
Ipswin
September 9, 2018, 5:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from grimsby pete
Can I add another location ?

I will tell you why first,

Our away support is fantastic and 900 fans make more noise than 4,000 home ones,

So I propose having it sited at Bury St Edmunds Suffolk,

We could merge with Bury Town the local team and will be in travelling distance for the London lads and also handy for the ones living in the Midlands.

Also its just up the road from me and Swin so we could get a season ticket.

Before you all say that's another stupid idea Pete.

I am only joking,

We are down at the moment but we will get back up again because that's what we do.

I might go if it's in Ipswich Pete but given the crap they are dishing up at the moment I wouldn't go as far as Bury St Edmunds to see them

(seriously will I see you at Cambridge and Colchester mate? Although Colchester is Good Friday we could be down by then))

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Stadium Location

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.