lee65
September 8, 2018, 1:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,480
Gold Stars: 10
If feasible, it HAS to be Freemo

A stadium would just be one part of it though, as the whole area is an eyesore compared to how it was a few years ago

Not enough people in Grimsby support GTFC for it ever to happen unless it can be shown to improve the area overall and benefit the wider community, and what a great “gateway” from the A180 it could be

Of course it needs lots of faith, imagination, and money to ever make it happen.

But close your eyes and think how fantastic it could look  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 49
Quagmire
September 8, 2018, 2:50pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from barralad

Peakes Parkway was the best option two years ago and nothing has changed in my opinion. It is central to the whole of NEL, is big enough for the whole development with plenty of room for expansion if needed and despite the protesters onjections it will cause far less traffic chaos than putting it in Freemo where far more will have to negotiate Victoria St/Fred Ward Way and Hainton Ave.

It was only the ‘best’ option because of the size of land needed for the massive housing development though.

PP is bad enough during the day without sticking 800+ houses next to it, that entire road is going to be gridlocked ignoring any traffic to/from the stadium on match days.

I’m afraid the man at the top pushing for PP is doing it more for selfish reasons (getting his benign loans back) than he is for the good of the football club and the town as a whole.

He either needs to get on board with something that will benefit the whole town or step aside.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 49
Rik e B
September 8, 2018, 4:15pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916

Quoted Text
I’m afraid the man at the top pushing for PP is doing it more for selfish reasons (getting his benign loans back) than he is for the good of the football club and the town as a whole.

Nail. Head.

I was very uneasy about PP because of this but just went along with it as want the job done.

If the council are PUSHING for a stadium in location X we should take heed as all we've had for 20 years is resistance and hurdles from them.

They clearly see a way to actualise with the regeneration funding available.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 49
Grim74
September 9, 2018, 9:12am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
12 months ago I’d of said PP because there was still a glimmer of hope it could happen. But 12 months on with absolutely no update from the club then if it’s do-able then make it freemo.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 49
HertsGTFC
September 9, 2018, 10:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,884
Gold Stars: 227
Do we need a new stadium? Absolutely!! The current one is not and has not been fit for purpose for a couple of decades at least.

Despite lots of "press inches" from many potential stake holders I have absolute zero confidence that it will get built in the next 10 years.  

If it does with JF and the boys it will be state of the fart rather than state of the art as everything about this regime is as the Yanks would say "low rent".

I'd personally love it to be Freemo as that's the part of the Town where I grew up but I worry that if it got built there or anywhere else in the Town most weeks we wouldn't get massively more home support than we do know as the on the pitch we have been poor overall and off it .....well I don't see much to motivate an extra few thousand to turn up each week.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 49
promotion plaice
September 9, 2018, 10:30am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from Grim74
12 months ago I’d of said PP because there was still a glimmer of hope it could happen. But 12 months on with absolutely no update from the club then if it’s do-able then make it freemo.

I feel exactly the same now.

The poll is clearly sending out a message to the council/club that Freemo is now the preferred option on here.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 49
grimsby pete
September 9, 2018, 11:00am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Can I add another location ?

I will tell you why first,

Our away support is fantastic and 900 fans make more noise than 4,000 home ones,

So I propose having it sited at Bury St Edmunds Suffolk,

We could merge with Bury Town the local team and will be in travelling distance for the London lads and also handy for the ones living in the Midlands.

Also its just up the road from me and Swin so we could get a season ticket.

Before you all say that's another stupid idea Pete.

I am only joking,

We are down at the moment but we will get back up again because that's what we do.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 49
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 9, 2018, 11:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
As mentioned above, the silence coming from those in the know is deafening. Once again, the supporters are being treated like muppets, rather apt when we have the likes of Waldorf and statler in charge.

The club could get some got PR brownie points here by just keeping us all involved and telling us where we are with regards to developments.

If it isn't happening, just fu(king tell us!

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 49
rancido
September 9, 2018, 11:22am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96
But surely this a complete about face by the council!. Didn't they , along with the club, do a study to find the best site and PP was the preferred one by GTFC and The Council! Whichever site they choose the bottom line is that the club can't afford a new ground and the Council would never financially help the club to build it so we remain in limbo. The ground will slowly deteriorate until certain parts are condemned ( the floodlights are close to that now ) and Blundell Park ceases to exist as such, not with a bang but with a whimper.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 49
Marinerz93
September 9, 2018, 11:25am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
New Stadium you say....

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iiErBW3.gif[/img]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Stadium Location

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.