5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Bigdog
September 8, 2018, 8:28am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Simple question after Councillor Wheatley's revelation that for the past six months the council have been trying to steer GTFC away from Peaks Parkway towards the Town Deal Project on the East Marsh..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Les Brechin
September 8, 2018, 11:32am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,691
Gold Stars: 174
If the ground was build on the land where the flats used to be behind Freeman Street, then we'd need to drastically develop Freeman Street itself.

Grimsby has a bad enough reputation for being a dump without taking away fans down Freeman Street as it is now.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 49
jimgtfc
September 8, 2018, 11:53am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,076
Gold Stars: 44
Would like to hear the opinions of the people who have voted for Peaks Parkway. Not having a go at them at all as I still see it as an option, just in the aid of a reasoned debate as all I’ve read is about people favouring Freeman street.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 49
immariner
September 8, 2018, 12:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,406
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from Les Brechin
If the ground was build on the land where the flats used to be behind Freeman Street, then we'd need to dratically develop Freeman Street itself.

Grimsby has a bad enough reputation for being a dump without taking away fans down Freeman Street as it is now.

I imagine the top end would be largely flattened (at least on the flats side, so away fans wouldn't be taken down Freeman Street as we now know.it. The whole idea of the New Town deal is regeneration so I would hope the whole of Freemo would see some benefit. And most away fans will be happy with a town centre ground and not an out of town one I should think. I know which sort of away ground I prefer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 49
chelseacity
September 8, 2018, 12:15pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +364
Gold Stars: 9
I voted for the Freeman St area, i would have preferred Great Coates as a location with a railway station & motorway next to it. Peakes Parkway only works due to the spacious land allowing to build lots of houses & this in effect pays a great deal towards a new stadium, the flats area in central Grimsby is easier for those who live North,South,West,& East of that, great bus routes, motorway close by & Grimsby Docks & New Clee railway stations, bars in Grimsby & Cleethorpes just a bus or train ride away, all of the things Peakes parkway don't have, but the flats area will not provide the house building money. I am almost sure that the flats area is not big enough for the training grounds & other bits required to complete a modern day football/business stadium, well that's my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 49
Swansea_Mariner
September 8, 2018, 12:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,430
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from jimgtfc
Would like to hear the opinions of the people who have voted for Peaks Parkway. Not having a go at them at all as I still see it as an option, just in the aid of a reasoned debate as all I’ve read is about people favouring Freeman street.

Is'nt the issue with Freeman street that the sheer number of different land owners make it unfeasible,  while the Parkway only has one landowner therefore making it a much easier and thereby realistic proposal?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 49
Garth
September 8, 2018, 12:50pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Is'nt the issue with Freeman street that the sheer number of different land owners make it unfeasible,  while the Parkway only has one landowner therefore making it a much easier and thereby realistic proposal?

What the council want usually the council gets,end of
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 49
barralad
September 8, 2018, 12:53pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from jimgtfc

Peakes Parkway was the best option two years ago and nothing has changed in my opinion. It is central to the whole of NEL, is big enough for the whole development with plenty of room for expansion if needed and despite the protesters onjections it will cause far less traffic chaos than putting it in Freemo where far more will have to negotiate Victoria St/Fred Ward Way and Hainton Ave.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 49
KingstonMariner
September 8, 2018, 1:07pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from barralad

Peakes Parkway was the best option two years ago and nothing has changed in my opinion. It is central to the whole of NEL, is big enough for the whole development with plenty of room for expansion if needed and despite the protesters onjections it will cause far less traffic chaos than putting it in Freemo where far more will have to negotiate Victoria St/Fred Ward Way and Hainton Ave.

I think that might be the case looking at the stadium in isolation, but the Freemo suggestion is part of a wider regeneration project.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 49
pizzzza
September 8, 2018, 1:15pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,700
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from barralad

I don't buy the traffic chaos argument and never will do. It will be busier for a 1-2 hours every other week, so what! As Nigel Lowther rightly said on the radio the other day, focus on the finish line and not on the hurdles.

It's time for John Fenty to put his head above the parapet and state his position on this.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 49
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Stadium Location

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.