Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Youngsters out on loan
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 193 Guests

Youngsters out on loan

This thread currently has 8,153 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Teestogreen
September 6, 2018, 7:42pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -113
Gold Stars: 20
I'm fairly sure the likes of Tony Ford, Kevin Moore, Kevin Drinkell made their debuts (and kept their places in the squad - because they were good) at around 16 years old. Mucking about loaning players at 19 /  20 years old? - they need to be here fighting for a place in the team at Grimsby, if they are any good!! They may come back - and still won't get in the team, if they are not good enough.  

UTM

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 45
tanga_the_indestructible
September 6, 2018, 7:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Teestogreen
I'm fairly sure the likes of Tony Ford, Kevin Moore, Kevin Drinkell made their debuts (and kept their places in the squad - because they were good) at around 16 years old. Mucking about loaning players at 19 /  20 years old? - they need to be here fighting for a place in the team at Grimsby, if they are any good!! They may come back - and still won't get in the team, if they are not good enough.  

UTM

Your memory deceived you a little. Drinkell made four appearances in 76-77, 20 starts in 77-78 and 78-79. It was only in Jan 1980 that he established himself as the regular number nine, playing in every game till the end of the season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 45
MuddyWaters
September 6, 2018, 7:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Teestogreen

UTM

If they were as good as the above-named at that age, they wouldn't be at Grimsby Town. Football has changed a bit since then.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 45
Teestogreen
September 6, 2018, 8:11pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -113
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from Teestogreen

UTM

Well  I hope these mature youngsters can do well at Boston Utd and grab places for themselves back at Town - if Town maintain the winless streak (league) they at least have a chance!

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 45
lukeo
September 6, 2018, 8:18pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 134
It's 1 month, gives them proper game time which they won't get here, YET. Wouldn't suprise me if they only go for the 1 month, without looking I assume our next cup game In that excrement trophy is over a month away?
Good for all parties for me. If it was more than a month I'd question it, but 1 month to get proper 1st team action is a great shout.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 45
acko338
September 6, 2018, 8:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
The month away will harden them both without any potential mistakes in the 1st team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 45
diehardmariner
September 7, 2018, 10:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,091
Gold Stars: 520
First seeing of this I must admit I was a bit disappointed.  I think Rose has something in his arsenal that we badly lack (pace) and would like to see him used, even if from the bench later on in games.  Every time I see Max Wright he impresses me and too offers something we don't have, natural width and the ability/willingness to run at people.

That said, if they're not going to get game time here it's pointless them hanging around on Saturday's just in case we've got an injury crisis.   National North is higher than the level we usually loan out at so will hopefully be a beneficial exercise for both lads.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 45
Rik e B
September 7, 2018, 11:11am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Quoted from Teestogreen

UTM

Different people mature physically at different rates -Rooney looked about 30 at 15/16 whereas some people are boyish in their early twenties.

I know it may be hard for clubs to justify holding on to a young adult to see if he any cop once develops a man's physique but I wonder how many extremely talented youngsters have been tossed on the footballing scrapheap just because unfortunately for them their hormonal goings on a bit behind?

Loads I bet. I lt's good that Jolley has spotted the potential within and given out 2 and 3 year deals to give these boys/young men chance to fill out and have a fair pop at things.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 45
1mickylyons
September 7, 2018, 11:16am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
I would have liked Rose as an option from the bench I doubt Robles will ever get near the bench given his obvious lack of fitness.Getting them game time is good management I hope they do well and come back challenging for a start.UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 45
Abdul19
September 7, 2018, 1:47pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from Rik e B

Different people mature physically at different rates -Rooney looked about 30 at 15/16 whereas some people are boyish in their early twenties.

I know it may be hard for clubs to justify holding on to a young adult to see if he any cop once develops a man's physique but I wonder how many extremely talented youngsters have been tossed on the footballing scrapheap just because unfortunately for them their hormonal goings on a bit behind?

Loads I bet. I lt's good that Jolley has spotted the potential within and given out 2 and 3 year deals to give these boys/young men chance to fill out and have a fair pop at things.

Agreed. Jack Lester didn't get a run of games until he was 21, for example.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Youngsters out on loan

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.