Gaffer58
September 7, 2018, 7:53am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,083
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
Why buy a new stadium if everyone can just sit at home and watch the game in their underpants?

I'm sure I'm not the only one

Think I've seen you in the Pontoon, all the seats around you were empty, I wonder why?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 53
marinerdazza
September 7, 2018, 8:24am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,770
Gold Stars: 81
I think there’s a bit of an overreaction about this. There’s absolutely nothing like being there and those who want to go would not have been dissuaded by ifollow. I certainly wouldn’t drop my season ticket next year if the home games were on ifollow. All I think this has done is maybe attracted 500-1000 fans who weren’t going anyway to spend more money with the club. And Christ we could do with every penny we can get. Maybe if we win it’ll persuade 500 fans to attend the Oldham game.

As someone else said, we’re Town not Man United.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 53
diehardmariner
September 7, 2018, 8:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,362
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from Gaffer58

Eventually games will be played with no attending fans at all, everyone will just watch on the telly, obviously paying to do so. They will play crowd noises just to keep some atmosphere. Then clubs will not have to pay to build and pay for he upkeep of stadiums.We will all be armchair fans one day.

Home taping killed the music industry....

Let's not kid ourselves, within a few years the option will be there for everyone to stream these games without a VPN at a cost lower than it is to buy a ticket.  The 2:45;5:15 embargo will disappear and Sky/BT/Amazon/Whoever will probably have live coverage of all Premier League 3pm kick-offs.  

The world is changing and it's getting smaller.  It's up to football clubs, like Town, to respond accordingly.  It's no longer good enough to just presume that people will pay through the nose for sub-standard entertainment in a poor facility.  The clubs, especially at our level, that will prosper and survive are the ones who will embrace the whole match-day experience and make people want to come to games.

It's easier and cheaper to stream music concerts, cinema releases etc. yet people still go to the cinema and to gigs.  Why, because the experience is good!
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 53
Cloudy
September 7, 2018, 8:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from marinerdazza
I think there’s a bit of an overreaction about this. There’s absolutely nothing like being there and those who want to go would not have been dissuaded by ifollow. I certainly wouldn’t drop my season ticket next year if the home games were on ifollow. All I think this has done is maybe attracted 500-1000 fans who weren’t going anyway to spend more money with the club. And Christ we could do with every penny we can get. Maybe if we win it’ll persuade 500 fans to attend the Oldham game.

As someone else said, we’re Town not Man United.

What if in 10 years time every game is available? Chairmen have proven track record of being ‘bought’!
What if you are say, 14 and get a few mates around to watch a live stream, you can do it every week, you believe you are a ‘supporter’, you may be able to delay it so you can watch it whenever you like.
After a period of time it is easier to watch in the warmth of your house rather than go to a live game. Haha, actually going to a game? they used to do that years ago you know? What a waste of time and money, they must have been really crazy in the olden days!
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 53
promotion plaice
September 7, 2018, 9:10am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,002
Gold Stars: 192
Quoted from Gaffer58

Eventually games will be played with no attending fans at all, everyone will just watch on the telly, obviously paying to do so. They will play crowd noises just to keep some atmosphere. Then clubs will not have to pay to build and pay for he upkeep of stadiums.We will all be armchair fans one day.

I hope they have recorded options of  "you don't know what your doing" and "the referees a w@nker" and if enough of us press a certain button on the remote it has to be played  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 53
marinerdazza
September 7, 2018, 9:55am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

What if in 10 years time every game is available? Chairmen have proven track record of being ‘bought’!
What if you are say, 14 and get a few mates around to watch a live stream, you can do it every week, you believe you are a ‘supporter’, you may be able to delay it so you can watch it whenever you like.
After a period of time it is easier to watch in the warmth of your house rather than go to a live game. Haha, actually going to a game? they used to do that years ago you know? What a waste of time and money, they must have been really crazy in the olden days!

Things will change and continue to change. But live TV football has (rightly or wrongly) increased revenue streams for football teams who’ve embraced it. If we ignored it completely the club would no doubt be criticised for not moving with the times. Personally, I think it’s publicity and most publicity is good. If someone sees Town demolish a side on ifollow that’s going to be a far more persuasive advert to attend the next game than 10,000 fliers or twitter campaigns. For what it’s worth I don’t think it’ll ever replace the live experience.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 53
oochiad
September 7, 2018, 10:01am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,675
Gold Stars: 27
How much money does town get from the £10 pay for view?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 53
marinerdazza
September 7, 2018, 10:07am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from oochiad
How much money does town get from the £10 pay for view?

Someone on here who is usually in the know mentioned we get the vast majority of it. That sealed it for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 53
ska face
September 7, 2018, 11:58am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,514
Gold Stars: 831
So according to Andy Holt of Accrington Stanley, most clubs were unaware of the 3pm streaming, it wasn’t discussed at the EFL meeting and it has been sneaked in through the back door by Shaun Harvey’s lot.

Just a reminder for all you mugs who think B Teams won’t be playing in our leagues within the next 10 years. These are the people running the game - sniding clubs behind their back.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 53
Dan
September 7, 2018, 12:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
Just seen Andy Holt's Twitter. How nice to see a chairman using social media properly and engaging with fans openly and honestly.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bury game for £10 on iFollow

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.