Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A solution to this B team Fiasco ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 177 Guests

A solution to this B team Fiasco ?

This thread currently has 5,818 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Abdul19
September 6, 2018, 9:09am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,551
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from ginnywings

It's all about TV money now and with the vast increases given to teams lately, I think it's inevitable that they will do whatever the TV companies want them to do. I think a European Super League is getting closer, because it's a big money spinner.

That's why I don't see it happening any time soon. The top 4 get 2 huge amounts of tv/prize money. A Euro League would have to go some* to offer more than the PL/CL combo.

* maybe it will, let's face it, what do I know

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 50
diehardmariner
September 6, 2018, 10:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,535
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from blundellpork
There should be a cap on the number of young players that each academy can take

Best idea in this large thread.

Stop the stockpiling of players in Elite Academies, then youngsters who've shown promise at an early age will get a true chance for development at smaller clubs.  

If we're really, really serious about developing youngsters then you need to impose strict limits on the loan system too.  Even at Town we've addressed a potential gap in midfield by loaning a young lad from Sunderland.  We've got enough players in midfield but with the window shutting we've gone for someone just to ensure we don't get caught short with injuries until January.  Embleton may well be better than anything we've got in the building and especially at youth level, but if you remove that safety net clubs will have to rely on their own youth talent - which should bring extra emphasis on youth coaching to ensure enough good players are coming through.

It would be a major change but I'd love to see clubs restricted to something like 18 senior professionals on their books, 1 loan a season and then having to make up any gaps with their own youth players.

Problem is, all these ideas will never happen because it would require the Premier League to sign up to them and it serves absolutely none of their objectives.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 50
AndyDarloFC
September 6, 2018, 11:46am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from grimsby pete
How about this for a solution ?

If the prem want to play their young players against men let them play in the national league,

There could be 12 B teams and 12 other clubs,

The B teams are not allowed to be promoted,

This makes it a lot easier tor proper clubs playing in that league to get promoted back into the league,

So you still have one team promoted and another 6 in the play offs,

Are you for real? There’s plenty of good enough teams in the National League and below that are worthy of a chance to play in that league to enable possible promotion to the football league without the fooking hinderance of illegitimate B teams.

Sometimes I despair at your posts Pete, and this one just takes the bloody urine. Give your head a shake man.

Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 42 - 50
grimsby pete
September 6, 2018, 12:31pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from AndyDarloFC

Are you for real? There’s plenty of good enough teams in the National League and below that are worthy of a chance to play in that league to enable possible promotion to the football league without the fooking hinderance of illegitimate B teams.

Sometimes I despair at your posts Pete, and this one just takes the bloody urine. Give your head a shake man.

It was only a thought and it certainly open a debate,

BUT

If Darlo got back into the national league prem think how much easier it would be to get back into the football league if 12 teams were not allowed promotion.

Whatever the football league decide to do it will not please 90+% of the us fans .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 50
GrimRob
September 6, 2018, 1:25pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,402
Gold Stars: 113
Move the Lincolnshire Cup to midweek and make it an all-play-all league and don't bother with the EFL Trophy.

e,g, Scunny/Grimsby/Lincoln/Boston 3 games each. Group winner gets the trophy.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 44 - 50
Posh Harry
September 6, 2018, 1:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,352
Gold Stars: 35
I have no issue with the competition in theory. How often are lower leagues teams going to get a chance to play at Wembley? It might not be as ‘special’ for us as it once was as we have been lucky enough to go several times, but for others it would be something that they may only get to see as a fan of another club once in their lifetime. I for one would not want to deny anyone that opportunity. I still get goosebumps thinking about those trips to see Bournemouth, Northampton and Forest Green and the memories will stay with me for as long as I have breath in my body or my pickled brain will allow me to do so.

So do I think the competition should be scrapped? No. I think it should be made more regionalised as late into the competition as possible, but the B teams or academy teams have no place in this competition full stop imo.

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 50
AndyDarloFC
September 6, 2018, 2:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from grimsby pete
If Darlo got back into the national league prem think how much easier it would be to get back into the football league if 12 teams were not allowed promotion.

I wouldn’t want my team to be playing in a league where there would be 24 meaningless games per season.
I’d rather we competed in a league with proper teams and proper fans, instead of travelling to Man Utd’s training ground to watch us face their academy for a competitive game.

Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 46 - 50
grimsby pete
September 6, 2018, 4:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from AndyDarloFC

I wouldn’t my team to be playing in a league where there would be 24 meaningless games per season.
I’d rather we competed in a league with proper teams and proper fans, instead of travelling to Man Utd’s training ground to watch us face their academy for a competitive game.

They would not be meaningless for you Andy you will get ( hopefully) points that will get you in the play offs,

BUT

It will not happen and I admit it was a stupid idea,

I have given my head a wobble.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 50
rancido
September 7, 2018, 3:45pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,570
Gold Stars: 96
B Teams in the EFL will never happen because you will never get the required number of clubs to allow it.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 50
Posh Harry
September 7, 2018, 5:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,352
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from rancido
B Teams in the EFL will never happen because you will never get the required number of clubs to allow it.

Unfortunately imho that is an idealistic scenario. The checkatwat trophy has the B/Academy teams in it because of the finances offered to let them play.

So what if a large amount of money is shoved under the noses of all the chairmen of the football league clubs. Bottom line is the premier league is a bottomless cash pit so they can pay as much as they need. The higher the offer, the less clubs will say no. I am not sure how many clubs are fan owned, like Exeter, but if it comes down to accepting an amount of money that the chairman will see as something they can’t refuse then I am not as convinced as you that it wouldn’t get through.

I believe at the moment it would take 8 clubs to say no, but who would trust that slime ball Harvey not to try and get this number reduced going forward. Again, it doesn’t mean it will happen overnight but does anyone trust Harvey to not try and get this through at some point when he is clearly doing it for his own gain.

I hope I am wrong and this all goes away. There is nothing wrong with status quo in my opinion (although some of the songs are a little repetitive 😉)

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A solution to this B team Fiasco ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.