Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A solution to this B team Fiasco ?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 372 Guests

A solution to this B team Fiasco ?

This thread currently has 5,770 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
BackHeelTony
September 5, 2018, 1:08pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +325
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from grimsby pete
How about this for a solution ?

If the prem want to play their young players against men let them play in the national league,

There could be 12 B teams and 12 other clubs,

The B teams are not allowed to be promoted,

This makes it a lot easier tor proper clubs playing in that league to get promoted back into the league,

So you still have one team promoted and another 6 in the play offs,

Would you still think it was good idea if we get relegated?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 50
FishOutOfWater
September 5, 2018, 1:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from rancido

But it's not the Premiersh*t that's pushing for this. It's the EFL trying to keep a cup competition alive that is aimed at the bottom two leagues.

So adding B teams to the mix helps how?  

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 21 - 50
rancido
September 5, 2018, 1:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

So adding B teams to the mix helps how?  

The thinking behind it was that invited Premiersh*t teams would include young talented players which might be an incentive for higher gates when they played at lower league clubs. I'm not saying it would but that was the reasoning behind it. It was also thought that it would be a good experience for these players to play against experienced teams. I , personally , don't have a problem with the Checkertrade format as long as it doesn't impact on the EFL structure, which I don't think it will.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 50
Cloudy
September 5, 2018, 1:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from rancido

The thinking behind it was that invited Premiersh*t teams would include young talented players which might be an incentive for higher gates when they played at lower league clubs. I'm not saying it would but that was the reasoning behind it. It was also thought that it would be a good experience for these players to play against experienced teams. I , personally , don't have a problem with the Checkertrade format as long as it doesn't impact on the EFL structure, which I don't think it will.

You dont have a problem in playing another clubs 3rd or 4th string in a competitive fixture? Don't you think League 1 and 2 clubs that have been around for more than 100 years deserve to be treated with a little more respect?

I too dont think that 'B' teams will be in the FL structure in the next 5 years or so but the concept has been talked about. The chairman of football league clubs have proven they will dance for a few peanuts. JF said himself that it is the money involved that made owners vote in favour. Never say never.
It may not bother me personally at my age, but I want to see my grandchildren be able to watch Grimsby Town as a proud member of the Football League.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 50
grimsby pete
September 5, 2018, 1:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from BackHeelTony

Would you still think it was good idea if we get relegated?

I hope we never get relegated to that league ever again,

BUT

If we did it would be a lot easier getting back if   12  teams in that league are not allowed to be promoted

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 50
Maringer
September 5, 2018, 1:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
If the Premiershite clubs want to rig the system so they can sign up any slightly promising young player from the Academies of smaller clubs for a pittance (and they have), it's up to them to make sure that the players get competitive games, not us. No smaller club should have to suffer relegation from their rightful level because of the greed of the big boys.

Many of the young players kicking their heels at Chelsea/Arsenal/Man United/Man City etc would undoubtedly be playing in the Chuckatrade or even the League if they had been left at their 'home' academies in the first place. If they want to 'steal' young players from other clubs, it's up to them to loan them out again at favourable rates to ensure they get competitive football.

Look at players such as Loftus-Cheek who has done pretty well for England since he got into the team despite not playing much club football. In fact, he's made as many appearances for England representative teams as he has competitive club fixtures and this at the age of 22. In comparison, Ryan Bennett had made well over 200 club appearances by the time he reached the same age, at GTFC, Peterborough and Norwich. Loftus-Cheek obviously a more talented player, but who knows how well he might have developed had he played a similar number of matches at lower levels when younger?

What about Harry Kane - would he have won the Golden Boot this summer if he'd spent his teens rotting in Tottenham's reserves instead of heading out on loan?

'B' teams are balderdash. Send players out on loan instead and, if this means you need to employ extra coaches to travel the country and observe them in training/matches, then fair enough. Not as if the big boys can't afford it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 50
louth_in_the_south
September 5, 2018, 2:03pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,549
Gold Stars: 94
If there was a Bentley Scale for sh.it ideas this one would register a big fat 10

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 50
rancido
September 5, 2018, 2:47pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from Cloudy

You dont have a problem in playing another clubs 3rd or 4th string in a competitive fixture? Don't you think League 1 and 2 clubs that have been around for more than 100 years deserve to be treated with a little more respect?

I too dont think that 'B' teams will be in the FL structure in the next 5 years or so but the concept has been talked about. The chairman of football league clubs have proven they will dance for a few peanuts. JF said himself that it is the money involved that made owners vote in favour. Never say never.
It may not bother me personally at my age, but I want to see my grandchildren be able to watch Grimsby Town as a proud member of the Football League.

But it happens all the time when top Premiersh*t clubs play low league teams in the FA cup. Their teams are full of second rate players so where is the respect in that?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 50
Cloudy
September 5, 2018, 2:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from rancido

But it happens all the time when top Premiersh*t clubs play low league teams in the FA cup. Their teams are full of second rate players so where is the respect in that?

Please read what i posted!

I said about a clubs 3rd or 4th strings, not their top 25 registered players. The people playing in the Checkatrade for the top clubs are kids  who should have been out on loan getting battled hardened in league football, or actually coming throught the ranks at Southend, Bury or wherever and once they know what the game is about getting bought to go into the top clubs squads.

I appreciate times have changed but your defence of the Checkertrade trophy/EFL is bordering on bullying
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 50
Northbank Mariner
September 5, 2018, 2:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
[I want to see my grandchildren be able to watch Grimsby Town as a proud member of the Football League.

And if they asked you to take them to see town in a checkatrade game would you refuse to take them because of your own beliefs??....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A solution to this B team Fiasco ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.