3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
petethemariner
September 4, 2018, 9:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
We all know that its been a  good while since Town have had any notable success, unbelievably looking up to the Scunts for many years and now  seemingly the Gimps look like overtaking us as well, so i got to thinking exactly what  makes us  the bigger club than either of these two and in these fairly stale years, to celebrate some of our achievements over the past 30 years or so.
Of the the top of my head, without any research, we have beaten the following current Premier league clubs in league or cup games:
Liverpool (League cup holders)
Leicester City  (League cup holders)
Everton (twice)        
Man City      
Chelsea
Tottenham
West Ham
Burnley
Fulham
Huddersfield
Bournemouth
Wolves

We haven't beaten Manure or Arsenal and not sure on Cardiff, Southampton or Brighton (perhaps someone could enlighten me) but
a pretty impressive tally that few, if any other lower league clubs could equal.
Going a long way further back we finished 5th in the  top league,  FA cup semi finalists in which us and Wolves still hold the all time record Old Trafford attendance and have had many full internationals wear the famous black and white stripes.

I know the usual suspects on here will say all this is irrelevant and IT IS, buts its the measure of our club and why we are, always
have been and always will be the pride of Lincolnshire.  UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimsby pete
September 4, 2018, 10:05pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I saw Town beat Brighton  5-0  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 28
ginnywings
September 4, 2018, 10:08pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
One of he oldest clubs in the league (140 this year). One of the most promoted and relegated clubs in the four divisions. Spent many seasons in the top 2 tiers, albeit a long time ago now. Have a strong core of regular supporters who have stuck with the club through lean times. Great away support, again given that we haven't had a lot to get excited about for a while. Played at Wembley on numerous occasions. Played some of the most exciting attractive football i've ever seen. Produced some wonderful local players.

We may be behind the other two local clubs at the moment, but i wouldn't swap our history for theirs. What goes around comes around, and one day we will rise again, but if we don't, then we don't, I'll still have the memories.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 28
Welwynmariner
September 4, 2018, 10:09pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from petethemariner

We haven't beaten Manure or Arsenal and not sure on Cardiff, Southampton or Brighton (perhaps someone could enlighten me) but
a pretty impressive tally that few, if any other lower league clubs could equal.

We have certainly beaten Man United and Arsenal back in the day (1930s and 40s)

I've seen us beat Brighton in recent years (early 2000s) at the Withdean (Darren Barnard scored and Alan Pouton had a goal disallowed) and I remember we beat Southampton at BP in the early 1960s in a long cold winter. We must have beaten Cardiff and we've certainly beaten Newcastle who aren't on your list
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 28
petethemariner
September 4, 2018, 10:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Another one to add to the list then Pete!
I forgot to add that we have also beaten 2 European Cup winning clubs in Forest and Villa.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 28
petethemariner
September 4, 2018, 10:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quite right  Welwyn, forgot about Newcastle, broke Keegans 100% start with Dobbins 30 yarder and Dave Beasant in goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 28
Brazilnut
September 4, 2018, 10:14pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
We have beat Palace

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 28
Welwynmariner
September 4, 2018, 10:15pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 1
Also Crystal Palace (several times but most recently the time Bradley Allen put away the big punt that bounced over their back line -maybe 199; Fulham play off final at BP in 1998 and then again in 1999 when they had Stan Collymore playing for them; and Burnley (again several times)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 28
The Yard Dog
September 4, 2018, 10:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Welwynmariner

We have certainly beaten Man United and Arsenal back in the day (1930s and 40s)

I've seen us beat Brighton in recent years (early 2000s) at the Withdean (Darren Barnard scored and Alan Pouton had a goal disallowed) and I remember we beat Southampton at BP in the early 1960s in a long cold winter. We must have beaten Cardiff and we've certainly[/b] beaten Newcastle[b] who aren't on your list

Yes that Jim Dobbin to stop Newcastle winning start to the season, was it 10 straight wins.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 28
petethemariner
September 4, 2018, 10:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Correct Brazilnut - i think i must have Alzheimers!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 28
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC History

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.