Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Why are we so crap at home?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 276 Guests

Why are we so crap at home?

This thread currently has 8,787 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Cod Cheeks
September 3, 2018, 12:47pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
It's a very good question and whoever has the answer to it is sat on a gold mine.
It seems to me that the vociferous home fans can quickly turn to negativity if the games starts to move in a pattern that leads us to a dour performance capped with potential defeat. This transfers to the team, staff and other fans. Already noted by MJ in his FG post match interview.
Are our expectations too great because of our success in the relatively recent past, when we were fighting well above our weight for a long time?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 66
Ruston AT
September 3, 2018, 12:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 10
When you give visiting fans the end with the best acoustics ( sitting in the main stand we can hardly hear the pontoon), what do you expect. Yeovils 72 were louder even when the pontoon was in full voice. Give the osmond stand back to home support, oh sorry we can't because we may get some away fans. That's lit the blue touch paper.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 66
Maringer
September 3, 2018, 1:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Q: Why are we so crap at home?
A: Years of practise.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 66
oldun
September 3, 2018, 2:46pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Do you know something? I have an ST but could not go on Sat as I was away but I have to say I did not miss being there. Now that just cannot be right can it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 66
Gaffer58
September 3, 2018, 3:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
As mentioned earlier the 3 points for a win encourages away teams to go for it more, but also after Hillsborough and grounds became all seated this also effects the atmosphere which would mostly be in favour of the home team, even places in the premier, Arsenal, Man Utd to are like a library at times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 66
Cloudy
September 3, 2018, 3:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Many have commented about the general malaise around the club. Like others i think i attend more out of a sense of duty than excitement. Again i am in the long in the tooth group (60+) and see few youngsters in the Upper Findus
I noticed on Twitter that there is an interview on ifollow from Pringle. Why should fans have to pay to listen to an interview from a player? Short termism again
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 66
Tommy
September 3, 2018, 5:02pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Gaffer58
As mentioned earlier the 3 points for a win encourages away teams to go for it more, but also after Hillsborough and grounds became all seated this also effects the atmosphere which would mostly be in favour of the home team, even places in the premier, Arsenal, Man Utd to are like a library at times.

What I hate about our conversion to all-seater in the mid-90s, was getting rid of the corners either side of the pontoon.

I hate those corners. It looks horrible having such massive spaces. The Main Stand doesn't start till half way up the half-way line and the Findus the other side somewhere around the edge of the 18 yard line.

Wouldn't be so bad if the space was actually used for anything but it's just open space serving no purpose. When you watch highlights on tv now it looks very, dare I say non-league, seeing us attack the Pontoon and just seeing some cars parked in the corner of the ground.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 66
chaos33
September 3, 2018, 5:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,871
Gold Stars: 353
I agree.

You know what we need..?
New stadium.

Can't believe nobody has suggested it 😉

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 66
MuddyWaters
September 3, 2018, 5:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Wouldn't it be nice to see a Grimsby Town team go out at BP and get a couple of goals in the first 15-20 minutes and send the fans home entertained after a 4 or 5 goal performance.

When was the last time we won a league game by 4?
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 66
lew chaterleys lover
September 3, 2018, 7:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,660
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Tommy

What I hate about our conversion to all-seater in the mid-90s, was getting rid of the corners either side of the pontoon.

I hate those corners. It looks horrible having such massive spaces. The Main Stand doesn't start till half way up the half-way line and the Findus the other side somewhere around the edge of the 18 yard line.

Wouldn't be so bad if the space was actually used for anything but it's just open space serving no purpose. When you watch highlights on tv now it looks very, dare I say non-league, seeing us attack the Pontoon and just seeing some cars parked in the corner of the ground.

Completely agree. A lot of press photos that are taken show a backdrop of cars/food outlet and maybe a steward with no sign of a crowd or proper stadium. Can't we do what Arsenal did that time and have a mural painted backdrop showing a full house in the corners?

Nothing is done. Nothing at all to make us look any better than bottom of league 2 at best.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Why are we so crap at home?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.