9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
sonofmadeleymariner
September 1, 2018, 5:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
In the first half I thought we were more then a match for Yeovil and it looked very even, the constant hoof balls in the 2nd half though killed our chances as once again another team sat a little deeper against us which allowed them to soak them up easily with no height outside of our defence. Jolley's subs did confuse me a little and I thought they were poor choices. They scored a good goal but the shot should never of come in. Ref didn't give us a peno in the first half but we weren't good enough and shouldn't be relying on the ref. I can't wait to see Thomas starting in the side especially along side Vernam.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 80
toontown
September 1, 2018, 5:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Some bright interlinking play between vernam and cook early on with the final ball being th let down. However that faded badly and we ended up punting it to Cook who was dwarfed by their defenders. We cannot play like that with the players we had on the pitch. Looks like we desperately need the physicality of Thomas up front. Or we need to learn how to play it on the deck and NOT to roll it back to Macca for him to hoof it forward. Macca also needs to react a lot quicker when he collects th ball so he can throw it out to a man in space.

Overall tho a good defensive performance, all their threats were snuffed out bar 1 cracking shot which they scored from. It's the final third we are struggling in, we have a lot of attacking players with little physical presence which is a concern if you are going to resort to the hoof so easily.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 80
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
September 1, 2018, 5:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from toontown
Some bright interlinking play between vernam and cook early on with the final ball being th let down. However that faded badly and we ended up punting it to Cook who was dwarfed by their defenders. We cannot play like that with the players we had on the pitch. Looks like we desperately need the physicality of Thomas up front. Or we need to learn how to play it on the deck and NOT to roll it back to Macca for him to hoof it forward. Macca also needs to react a lot quicker when he collects th ball so he can throw it out to a man in space.

Overall tho a good defensive performance, all their threats were snuffed out bar 1 cracking shot which they scored from. It's the final third we are struggling in, we have a lot of attacking players with little physical presence which is a concern if you are going to resort to the hoof so easily.

I think the resorting to the hoof is more of a problem than the forward players, although it would be nice to have a big man to bring on should a game demand it

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 80
MuddyWaters
September 1, 2018, 5:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Average first half, second half abysmal. I can't actually believe that the players can't work out that hoofing it at two giant centre backs isn't likely to be very successful.

Our back 4 defended OK, sadly Harry Clifton not strong enough on the goal. Vernam bright, Famewo MoM for me.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 80
denni266
September 1, 2018, 5:36pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +636
Gold Stars: 129
Sorry but i dont rate MJ as a manager yet.. fine words and spirit got us over the line last year,, This year that fight just is not there,, and so far i can see no clear plan how we are supposed to be playing. no movement away from markers to open up gaps,, high balls to small players  and players playing out of position , we just look like 11 players out for a game . Either there not doing as they are told or they are just not good enough . Either way disaster is just round the corner if we dont improve and quickly.. and i cannot see the crowd being too nice for long
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 80
Maringer
September 1, 2018, 5:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Vernam bright in the first half but again faded badly in the second. Not surprising considering his recent serious injury but we need better options off the bench to replace him when he begins to fade.

At this level, I think it is incredibly difficult for teams to play without some sort of a physical threat up front, whether it's size and strength or serious pace. Unfortunately, we don't currently have either which is why Hooper is starting all the time despite pretty average form. Playing Cook through the middle is all well and good if he's against a big slow clod, but their defence were plenty mobile enough to deal with his pace and movement most of the time and then of course, he fluffed his big chance near the end.

I don't think Pringle is particularly big, is he? Hopefully he'll be able to offer a bit more of a threat because at the moment, our forward line is lacking in any real strength, aerial ability or pace. Vernam probably the quickest we've got out there and their big No. 6 was able to match him for pace.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 80
Grim74
September 1, 2018, 5:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
I thought Yeovil looked a decent team to be fair they’ve had a 4-0 away from home already, I can see them challenging for promotion. We just never really looked like scoring hopefully the new additions will give us better options. We are a better team than last season and there’s a long way to go, but I think mid table is the best we can hope for.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 80
dicko995
September 1, 2018, 5:48pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -249
Gold Stars: 21
Pringle is 6ft 1 inch Maringer. He wasn't allowed to play today, but Embleton was, so why didn't MJ play him?. They are both sent out from their clubs to get game time, wont be long before they get called back for not being played, and go somewhere else. Seen it before with Slade, de ja vous images in my head, baffled.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 80
jonnyboy82
September 1, 2018, 5:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
I think all this changing formation cant be helping the players , we go 433 one week then 442 then we change to 352 so i honestly dont know what we are trying to do.

We played our best football so far in a 433 so what do we do today ? change to a 442 .

We play with hooper on the left while a natural winger in max wright sits on the bench. We know hooper aint good enough so why not play max wright ?

Im gonna be honest one week jolley impresses me the next  i wonder what is he trying ? Today lumping the ball agains 7ft defenders wont work but we constantly did it.

Frustrsted is the word so far and we need to stop all this changing about formations and please stop playing hoope for intercourse sake.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 80
chicaneuk
September 1, 2018, 5:49pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from denni266
Sorry but i dont rate MJ as a manager yet.. fine words and spirit got us over the line last year,, This year that fight just is not there,, and so far i can see no clear plan how we are supposed to be playing. no movement away from markers to open up gaps,, high balls to small players  and players playing out of position , we just look like 11 players out for a game . Either there not doing as they are told or they are just not good enough . Either way disaster is just round the corner if we dont improve and quickly.. and i cannot see the crowd being too nice for long

We'll never progress if we can't just give a new manager and a new squad time, before getting on their backs. It's entirely self defeating of the fanbase to shoot down the team before they've even got their footing.. so I'm hoping that the masses manage to just keep their dissatisfaction bottled up for a while longer yet. If by mid season we're seeing no real signs of progress, then I can understand folks getting discontent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.