Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › So Realistically ...
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 141 Guests

So Realistically ...

This thread currently has 4,239 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
scott_gtfc_89
August 25, 2018, 8:15pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +398
Gold Stars: 1
We have had 5 league games so far and picked up 5 points,

We had a really bad opening day which I honestly think was just one of them days against an unbeaten Forest Green so far this season. Followed by a comfortable win against what looks to be a struggling team so far this season in Macclesfield, 2 good draws against 2 promotion favourites (Lincoln also unbeaten so far in the league) arguably the better team over both 90 mins and today a very disappointing loss after two good performances.

In between it all a loss to a league 1 club in the cup.

What does everyone make of our performances so far and what position would you expect us to achieve this season by going on form so far and how we have played,

Can you realistically see this team achieving the play offs or higher?

Will this team strong enough when everyone is fit?

Who’s impressed you personally so far and who hasn’t?
Logged Offline
Private Message
marinerdazza
August 25, 2018, 8:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80
Mid table. Like I said before the season started. And I’d be very happy with that. Providing we get Scunny in the FA Cup... 😘
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
MuddyWaters
August 25, 2018, 8:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Realistically, we are a club that has an ambition of staying where we are. We are a club that offers hope by way of a bright young manager and a small but improved squad and a coaching team that appears determined to bring us somewhere near to the level of our opponents.

However, we are encumbered by our geographical position and our inability to move from our almost derelict stadium & inept training facilities. Neither our board or the company engaged in 'developing' our stadium appear willing to inform the paying public about any progress. Indeed, nothing has emanated from the boardroom since the solicitor bloke said we would be in the Championship within 5 years. For some GTFC fans this is progress. Our directors are resisting the temptation to make flowery promises that we will be in a new stadium in 'three to four years' like they did in March 2017.

https://www.humberbusiness.com/news/homes-planned-for-grimsby-town-stadium/story-4844-detail/story
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
sydney
August 25, 2018, 8:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +994
Gold Stars: 2
Lower Mid table and hopefully not looking over our shoulders
We need to be better, and more consistent
3 red cards is a worry as well
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
KingstonMariner
August 26, 2018, 12:01am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Too early to tell. We've played 3 top 5 teams, one big bucks* team and one bottom two team who we beat.

* and I don't mean MK Dons  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
moosey_club
August 26, 2018, 12:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Not going to achieve any success without pace moving forward ...and we dont have any realistically.

McKeown shows no sign of developing as a keeper....still rooted to his line when the ball is crossed in...brilliant shot stopper but back fours love a confident, commanding keeper and he just isnt it, when that ball is swung across our six yard line we look vulnerable.

Squad is too thin currently...no real strength in depth.

Going to be a long haul again this year i feel.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
promotion plaice
August 26, 2018, 1:06am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

I'm sorry to say but I have little confidence in this current team getting much out of a game if we concede the first goal, certainly not a win at the moment.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
dapperz fun pub
August 26, 2018, 7:46am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from sydney
Lower Mid table and hopefully not looking over our shoulders
We need to be better, and more consistent
3 red cards is a worry as well
Come on Town!!

Yesterday’s red looked very soft  rose at Macclesfield seen them not given plenty of times before
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
Yoda
August 26, 2018, 8:41am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +4 / -20
Approval: -2,912
Gold Stars: 62
We look very light on the goal scoring front so i would think a finish around 18th to 20th.

Our defence does not let many in though so a lot of draws i think.

Let’s hope Macclesfield and Morecombe are rootedto the bottom all season. I cannot see Notts County staying there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
Northbank Mariner
August 26, 2018, 8:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
I've seen enough in this squad to believe mid table would be where we are at the moment but I'm still not sure MJ really knows his best starting 11...until we have Vernham, Cook and Thomas playing in a 4-3-3 formation, which will give us the much needed pace up front, I, like most, cannot see us scoring many goals from open play against some of the more fancied teams in the league.
Still early days in what is MJs first season in the EFL so, I would honestly give it til xmas to see how the land lies and wether this squad can contribute to anything more than a mediocre season over all...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › So Realistically ...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.