Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Which system?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 211 Guests

Which system would you prefer if everyone is fit?
3-5-2 (6 votes)
12.50%
4-3-3 (30 votes)
62.50%
4-1-4-1 (3 votes)
6.25%
4-4-2 (6 votes)
12.50%
3-4-3 (1 votes)
2.08%
4-4-1-1 (0 votes)
0%
Another (please add) (2 votes)
4.17%
48 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll
Voting in this poll has ended.

Which system?

This thread currently has 1,744 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Mighty_Mariner
August 24, 2018, 8:34pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
What do you think?

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Cloudy
August 24, 2018, 8:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Any system that wins games. There is no right or wrong and MJ will go with what he thinks best on a game by game basis
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
Balthazar Bullitt
August 24, 2018, 8:52pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
^^^WHS^^^
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
Mighty_Mariner
August 24, 2018, 8:53pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Cloudy
Any system that wins games. There is no right or wrong and MJ will go with what he thinks best on a game by game basis

Yes it very much seems that way mate which I like, keeps the opposition guessing, makes us very hard to prepare for and adds a flexibility to the squad.

I do think he will have a 'preferred' system though and I think once everyone is fit and he's finished his transfer business we may see us revert back to the 3-5-2 we saw against Forest Green. Jolley has openly said him and Limbrick would prefer two strikers on the pitch.

Personally, I really like the 4-3-3 system we've been playing though.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
ginnywings
August 24, 2018, 9:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Systems don't win games, players do. Adopt and adapt to whatever suits the game in hand.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
conocoloco
August 24, 2018, 9:12pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +30
Graham Potter started with five different formations in five consecutive games for Ostersunds last season. And expected them to be comfortable in using three within a single game.

Cloudy said it well, one that wins games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
jamesgtfc
August 24, 2018, 9:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
4-3-3 with the full backs expected to get up and down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
HertsGTFC
August 24, 2018, 9:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
At the back end of this season mostly MJ has done a good job in setting us up to own the midfield especially since bringing in the likes of Welsh & Hessenthaler alongside the hard working H and the creative Woolly but I’d like to see this continue with a bit more punch up front so it’s 3-5-2 for me.

BUT (as Pete would say)

I’m no coach i’ll leave that to Tommy but have to agree with Ginny having the right players is more effective than “us shape”.

BUT (as Pete would say again)

From the games I’ve seen this year MJ is brining the “right players” so all is well in my view.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
KingstonMariner
August 24, 2018, 10:02pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Any system. What would be ideal is a squad of players who are intelligent and adaptable enough to work out what is needed themselves. But that'd mean signing the Dutch squad from the early seventies in their heyday.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
MeanwoodMariner
August 25, 2018, 9:20am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
I think people are under estimating the value of systems and formations. Of course the quality of the players is the main factor but the reality is that there is very little difference between the quality of squads within a competitive division so getting the right system can be the deciding factor. Just look at the end of the MK Dons game where Jolley felt we needed to reduce the number of crosses coming in to the box and have an extra body in the area so he switched to a back 5 and we saw the game out. These things matter.

I think our 433 approach seems to work well with the players we've got and I hope we stick with it. I'm not convinced by the 352 formation at any level unless you've got sensational wing backs as they're expected to be both a full back and a winger. There's about 4 people on the planet who can do that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
grimsby pete
August 25, 2018, 12:30pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
I would like us to play the system MJ sends them out to do.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 13
promotion plaice
August 25, 2018, 12:41pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from grimsby pete
I would like us to play the system MJ sends them out to do.

Except for the FGR game     

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 13
grimsby pete
August 25, 2018, 2:50pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from promotion plaice

Except for the FGR game     

That was my point PP they did not carry out his instructions.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 13
KingstonMariner
August 25, 2018, 4:33pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
I think people are under estimating the value of systems and formations. Of course the quality of the players is the main factor but the reality is that there is very little difference between the quality of squads within a competitive division so getting the right system can be the deciding factor. Just look at the end of the MK Dons game where Jolley felt we needed to reduce the number of crosses coming in to the box and have an extra body in the area so he switched to a back 5 and we saw the game out. These things matter.

I think our 433 approach seems to work well with the players we've got and I hope we stick with it. I'm not convinced by the 352 formation at any level unless you've got sensational wing backs as they're expected to be both a full back and a winger. There's about 4 people on the planet who can do that.

Or it proves that formations don't matter as long as players are in the right position in the context of the game. If you switch to 5 at the back it means You're giving up players further up the pitch. So what matters is players defend when they need to, get forward when they need to but making sure they have cover when they lose the ball, look around and see where there are gaps/space.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Which system?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.